VW Fans

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Golf.jpg

When I was about to graduate from college, I started looking for another car. I had driven a 1979 Plymouth Horizon for a couple of years and it was showing its age. One cold, snowy day before work, my buddy Rick and I went to a lot in Covington, KY and I test drove a gen 1 GTI. Good looking car. It was white, a five speed and it had a sunroof and a Blaupunkt stereo. Basically my dream car. We pulled out of the parking lot and were driving up the semi-treated street. I asked Rick if the car seemed like it was dragging its rear end. He agreed that it was wiggling more than was normal. I opened my door and looked back to find the rear tires locked up. Turns out they had washed it the previous day and the brakes were frozen. I turned around and took it back to the dealer, told them thanks, but no thanks, and we headed to my house for lunch. While we were eating I was looking through the car ads and Dad came into the kitchen and asked what we were up to. When I told him about the GTI I'd test driven that morning, he said "Why are you looking a used cars? You should be looking at new cars. Used cars are just someone else's junk." I was pretty stunned, but if Dad said I could afford new car, that's what I was going to start looking for. I wound up buying a 1986 Golf after a lot of looking, Titian Red five speed with a sunroof and Blaupunkt speakers. I've always kicked myself because I wanted the Titian Red GTI with sunroof and stereo, but my Dad's cautious nature won out and I made a deal on the Golf.

Bring back the past, did you see that Meyers is bringing back the Manx in a 2.0 (EV) version! I think I read that the only way they can make it street legal is to produce only 250 units a year to circumvent mass production car requirements! Probably things like airbags and such. Still.. looks like fun!
1692291621569.png

Back