Virtual Rocket Contest XI

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay...since our virtual budget is unlimited, do I have the vendor where I'm going to get my parts and motors from send the bill to Nick or Doug? :D

I'd like to get the extra couple of points for an actual build on one of these contests, but this doesn't seem to be the one to do it on....

Starting to rough out ideas and have hit just a couple of early snags...

1 - How do you do dual deploy in rocksim? Is there a primer in one of the Apogee newsletters?

2 - Can we get the Cessaroni L730 fixed? I've seen one of those bad boys and it's nowhere near 255" long... This has bugged me for a long time and I've had to avoid using this motor in sims because it is unrealistically long.

3 - On this island, are the people from a shipwreck of a 3 hour tour or from a plane crash from an Oceanic Airlines flight? Do we get bonus points if we make the rocket entirely from coconuts?:D

Cool, a new virtual contest. Thanks for hosting this one, Doug.

Originally posted by PunkRocketScience

1 - How do you do dual deploy in rocksim? Is there a primer in one of the Apogee newsletters?

I was wondering the same thing. Hopefully this is not limited to those who have Rocksim v8.

Also, we are saying this island is 500 feet wide, so this means we have to land between 9,750 feet and 10,250 feet upwind, correct?

Since I have unlimited budget my rocket might be longer than that island! ;) Or maybe I will do one full orbit and come back to land on the island!:rolleyes:

I checked out the archive at Apogee and they didn't have anything on dual deploy... Anyone willing to give up the secret of how to do it?

AB- The only limits I've found so far are that you can only fit so many O class motors in the confines of a single stag3 11.5" tube! I'm trying to think outside the box (dang I hate that cliche...) and do something unexpected this time, hopefully without blowing a good placing for uniqueness....

I am not home atm, so I can't check for sure, but its in the window where you select the motor under flight events. you set deploy at apogee, and then main parachute deployment at certain altitude.

I may have to check Rocksim and ajust the rules... cause now that I think of it, you may have to have a parachute for a drogue to simulate it...

Dual Deployment is not that hard, you just include two parachutes in the design one (drogue) specified to deploy at maximum ejection and the other parachute (main) specified to deploy at specific altitude under the flight events tab in Prepare for Launch menu under the simulation dropdown menu.

The problem I have is that the rules say "Must deploy drogue or drogue less at apogee", this is contradictory to the table entry that specifies "Time for Deployment".

There is an excellent dual deployment example at EMRR; look at Donald Ball's simulation of his "Gravity Kills" design at: https://www.rocketreviews.com/rocksim/scratch_gravity_kills.rkt

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Thanks Bruce! That clears it up.

Any chance that you can edit the Cessaroni .Eng file that is posted on the contest site so that the Pro54 6 grain XL (L-730) is the correct length and get it back to Nick so that he can post it? You being the Rocksim Master and all... (We're not worthy...We're not worthy....)

Once again, Thanks Bruce! Now, I just need to finish my rocksim model that will help me take over the world! <NARF!>

I just need to finish my rocksim model that will help me take over the world! <NARF!>
Aaah, the trash talk has started already. :rolleyes:

Since the submission deadline is 8/15/2006, I have until 8/14 to start working on the design that will crush your pathetic puny little attempt to dethrone me.:D

Thanks Bruce! That clears it up.

Any chance that you can edit the Cessaroni .Eng file that is posted on the contest site so that the Pro54 6 grain XL (L-730) is the correct length and get it back to Nick so that he can post it? You being the Rocksim Master and all... (We're not worthy...We're not worthy....)

I can edit it... what is the length?

I want to say thanks to all the feedback I am getting via this forum, pm, and e-mail. I admit, I was a little nervous putting this together. I am attempting to do something different here, and you may of noticed I ommited some rules I didn't like in the previous contests :D. I knew there would be questions. Thanks for asking them :). Please Please Please give me your feedback on what you think of the contest :D.

Here is a couple things I do want to mention. Admendments to the rules (cause its something I either did not think about, or an improvement.

All events must use the same rocket design. No changing nose cones, etc.

Allowing External boosters are under review due to concern that it may create an unfair avantage.

To simulate drouge-less, select and Estes P-chute and change the diameter to .001 :

I did not write the table example, but for the events using dual deploy, I accept motors, ignition times, and altitude for main deployment. Electronics must be used, so if you are not using DD, please include a timer time,

Your electronics is a multi-function flight computer, so you can use either timer or dual deploy.

I may submit a design of my own to see how I stack againsts you guys, but my entry won't count, and won't affect the scoring :D

BAH! Go eat a banana, you near-sighted little monkey! I WILL be the downfall of Zeus this time! (hehehe-this is fun!) :D

Originally posted by BobCox
Aaah, the trash talk has started already. :rolleyes:

Since the submission deadline is 8/15/2006, I have until 8/14 to start working on the design that will crush your pathetic puny little attempt to dethrone me.:D

BAH! Go eat a banana, you near-sighted little monkey! I WILL be the downfall of Zeus this time! (hehehe-this is fun!) :D

"The downfall of Zeus"

I think you already have a name for your entry! ;)

Originally posted by n3tjm
Strap on boosters are allowed :D.

When you say strap-on boosters, do you mean boosters that are mounted on the outside of the main airframe, but stay on the rocket throughout the flight?

If the strap-on boosters are dropped in flight, wouldn't that be considered staging? (or parallel staging). Since the rules talk about single stage rocket only, I am just wondering how far we can bring that concept.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Afterburner
When you say strap-on boosters, do you mean boosters that are mounted on the outside of the main airframe, but stay on the rocket throughout the flight?

If the strap-on boosters are dropped in flight, wouldn't that be considered staging? (or parallel staging). Since the rules talk about single stage rocket only, I am just wondering how far we can bring that concept.:rolleyes:

Opps. I wasn;t clear on that either. The "Strap Ons" have to stay on the rocket for the entire flight. In most model rocketry, that is the case, so that's why I got so used to the term :D.

Oh, the attacks are getting personal now! All right, GAME ON!

By your insults you obviously hope to belittle my awesome abilities. I am so much more than a near-sighted monkey. I am astigmatic as well. :p

BTW, get a haircut, punk.:D (You're right, this is fun!)

Ok, got a pm where its suggested that external boosters should not be allowed. The reasoning is Rocsim does not calculate the additional drag that the external boosters add. This would create an avantage if that was the case (and the source of the suggestion is someone who I know knows rocksim... ). Good thing there is plenty of time for this...

EMRR your comments?

Another thing Rocksim doesn't simulate is nosecones on the boosters. Apogee has some articles on how to trick Rocksim into simulating boosters if you really wanted to allow it.

What do you mean by external boosters? The designs my son and I submitted to the last contest didn't use external boosters and all the motors were enclosed in standard body tubes.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

To paraphrase Charleton Heston, "Get your hands off my rocket, your dang dirty ape!"

Originally posted by BobCox
Oh, the attacks are getting personal now! All right, GAME ON!

By your insults you obviously hope to belittle my awesome abilities. I am so much more than a near-sighted monkey. I am astigmatic as well. :p

BTW, get a haircut, punk.:D (You're right, this is fun!)

The parts database is all you can use, you can not make custom parts (except transitions, which have to be made realistically).

Does this mean no custom fins?

Doh' Something else I need to clarify.

Must use materials in RS, and must be sized according to the fin rules.

Wasn't thinking that fins are a custom part... but they are :D

douglas,

Please summarize everything that needs to be clarified, changed, added as Q/A (remember not everyone is on TRF) and send me an e-mail... I'm still fighting this no notification thingy and am not able to keep up with everything.

Thanks,
Nick

I don't see any where in the rules that the parachute has to stay out of the cargo bay, you should probably clarify this point.

Back