Trouble contacting Rocketmam Parachutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labman75

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone:

Anyone having trouble getting through to Rocketman via email or phone? I started using them for standard parachutes and deployment bags about a month ago after experiencing some tangling problems with standard LOC Precision 16 line chutes. . I asked them via email if I needed a drogue chute for the bag - no reply. The parachute I ordered did not fit in the bag I bought, which should have fit according to the volume measurements given on the Rocketman website - again no answer to this problem via email. I purchased a smaller chute for another rocket which should fit into the first bag I bought, and bought a bigger bag for the first chute I bought, but 11 days later I have still not received it. I called for an order status update - got voicemail.

I'm new to the forum, but does anyone have any advice that could resolve these issues, besides switching to another vendor?

Tom T

Rocketman used to be a good vendor, and I personally never had any issues with my orders to them, but there have been numerous posts about them recently that indicate that’s no longer the case. I met Buddy in person once and he was very nice, and I am still using the stuff I bought from them for rocketry and high altitude balloons. But I wouldn’t order from them again unless they get things straightened out. I assume there is something going on in their lives that they have to deal with, and I certainly wish them well in recovering from whatever that is. I would like to be able to order from them again some day.

Not sure exactly what your needs are, but here’s a link to my favorite vendor. They have a good selection of recovery products, and their service is excellent:

https://wildmanrocketry.com/

Since Covid, many rocketry vendors and manufacturers (small and large) have had difficult times. Most have been responsive about lead times and issues. In the case of Rocketman Enterprises, they seem to be simply ghosting their customers. If Ky and Buddy have other priorities in life, they should be ethical enough to post something on their website and limit the products their selling. It is difficult to understand because Ky has been a long-time excellent supporter of the hobby.

Thanks for your input. I don't know how long it will take to receive my last order, but without any support from the company i'll have to look elsewhere for the recovery products I need. Normally, I would report stuff like this to the BBB, but I'll give them a little more time to make this right. I'll check out the other websites that you guys mentioned. I want to find a better way to prevent parachute tangling with large chutes, and I felt that the Rocketman products would help me do that.

I saw the other negative reviews aftermy first purchase - I guess I should have checked them out beforehand. However, I've not had serious problems with other vendors - they wouls eventually respond if I had a problem and we'd work things out. So far, that's not been the case with Rocketman.

If Ky and Buddy have other priorities in life, they should be ethical enough to post something on their website and limit the products their selling. It is difficult to understand because Ky has been a long-time excellent supporter of the hobby.
I agree. A notice on the web site, even a vague one, would be very helpful.

I agree also. I don't even get a shipping notification, so I have no idea about the order status. I notice that others have had this problem as well.

I have been reading about Rocketman in the LRDS book, and have been wanting to build a High Altitude Balloon shot as well. My plan, (and it is to late for me now)
was to send a balloon to the edge of space from the center of the eclipse path on April 8th with a go pro 360.

I wonder if something has happened, people have all sorts of medical or personal problems. Some people are very private, and others are not.

I can say without a doubt, if you contact Tim (really it is Ted) @Onebadhawk you will receive a quick response, and if you order something from him, it will be the absolute best product he can find. The workman ship will be top notch, and it will be shipped quickly.
We started talking last week about a recovery system for my Wildman Darkstar 4" Dual Deploy rocket. He explained why he does things a certain way, came up with a motor harness system with closed eye bolts sewn on, and a swivel to prevent wear against the edge of the fiberglass. The 30' 3 loop drouge harness has the nomex blanket sewn on so it can not foul the 16 X form drouge chute, and the 25' main harness has the nomex blanket sewn on as well. I paid him on Sunday after church, and it arrived at my door on Thursday. Everything I have ordered from him, has been top notch, and quicker than I have any right to expect.

These things are works of art.

He is also a LOKI motor dealer, I love my Loki motor.

If you give Ted a try you will be very happy.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for the input and info on other vendors. Steve, I can't believe you've had to wait 4 months for an order. Sounds like it was lost somehow.

My first order with Rocketman was delivered in a week, but the parachute bag was too small even though the website volume measurements said it would fit. When I didn't hear from them, I bought a smaller chute and bigger bag because I needed another chute for a smaller rocket. This chute would definitely fit into the first bag I bought.

All I need from Rocketman at this point is confirmation that they received my order, and some kind of timeline for delivery. It's a shame I can't even get that. My only recourse is to call the credit card company and get them to refund the cost of the order. They will then contact the seller and find out what's going on. In the past when this problem arose, the credit card companies are very good at getting the funds back from the vendor. Filing a complaint with the BBB also helps sometimes, but it creates problems for the vendor which I'd rather not do if there's an explanation for the lack of communication.

I don't want to cause anyone any trouble, especially if they're in a business that supplies our hobby, but this situation is unfair to rocketeers and some explanation needs to be given. I will be patient a little longer, but then I'll have to do what's necessary to at least get my money back.

have been wanting to build a High Altitude Balloon shot as well. My plan, (and it is to late for me now)
was to send a balloon to the edge of space from the center of the eclipse path on April 8th with a go pro 360.
Not to derail the thread, but why is it too late? Still a month away. I’ve done a number of HABs, so if you need some help, PM me.

Thanks for the input and info on other vendors. Steve, I can't believe you've had to wait 4 months for an order. Sounds like it was lost somehow.

My first order with Rocketman was delivered in a week, but the parachute bag was too small even though the website volume measurements said it would fit. When I didn't hear from them, I bought a smaller chute and bigger bag because I needed another chute for a smaller rocket. This chute would definitely fit into the first bag I bought.

All I need from Rocketman at this point is confirmation that they received my order, and some kind of timeline for delivery. It's a shame I can't even get that. My only recourse is to call the credit card company and get them to refund the cost of the order. They will then contact the seller and find out what's going on. In the past when this problem arose, the credit card companies are very good at getting the funds back from the vendor. Filing a complaint with the BBB also helps sometimes, but it creates problems for the vendor which I'd rather not do if there's an explanation for the lack of communication.

I don't want to cause anyone any trouble, especially if they're in a business that supplies our hobby, but this situation is unfair to rocketeers and some explanation needs to be given. I will be patient a little longer, but then I'll have to do what's necessary to at least get my money back.
Get your money back before it's too late and order a chute from Valkyrie Recovery if you need a high performance chute. Rocketman won't respond to you anytime soon. They're ghosting just about everyone at this point.

Try out either Ted at One Bad Hawk or try the Recon chute from Tim at Wildman.

The largest chute I own currently is a 60 Recon and its a great product.

I did the 60 Recon and One Bad Hawk harness system in a 14 pound AMRAAM

Thanks, guys. I sent another email to them today, giving them one last chance to respond. My credit card company will get the money back, and I'll check out the other vendors you have suggested. Thanks for your help !!!

I can say without a doubt, if you contact Tim @Onebadhawk you will receive a quick response, and if you order something from him, it will be the absolute best product he can find. The workman ship will be top notch, and it will be shipped quickly.

Minor correct - Tim is @WILDMANRS , @Onebadhawk is Teddy. Both are great people

Minor correct - Tim is @WILDMANRS , @Onebadhawk is Teddy. Both are great people
Yes sir, I wish I could read things the way I write them instead of what I want them to say.

Sorry Ted. I ain't never been accused of being brite. Everybody at work makes fun of me about names, I get them mixed up all the time. I know who I mean, it just comes out wrong.

Ted @Onebadhawk and Tim @WILDMANRS are both incredibly helpful, kind people who do exactly what they say they will do. They both have top notch supplies, and they both ship what you order as soon as they can.

I can say without a doubt, if you contact Tim (really it is Ted) @Onebadhawk you will receive a quick response, and if you order something from him, it will be the absolute best product he can find…
If you give Ted a try you will be very happy.

Steve
Yes, One Bad Hawk is another great vendor and supporter of the hobby. Very high quality products and great service.

hahahahahahahha..

Ok, you finally got me to post in this thread..

I'd be completely remiss if I neglected to point out that I'm
WWWWAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY better looking then Tim..

Teddy
That’s like proudly boasting that I came in 3rd place when there was only 3 contestants

Buddy from Rocketman called me today and explained that they had some backorders to fill, and that was the reason for a delay in shipment. I should receive my order in 2-3 days. If you need to contact Rocketman, voicemails seem to work better than emails. I have no issues with the quality of the chutes and bags, and Buddy solved my problem and answered all of my questions today. At this point, I am quite satisfied with Buddy's response.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Rocketman Enterprises is still in business, and that Buddy did contact me. For those of you who might have similar issues, I know that Buddy is certainly willing to help. Hopefully, communication will continue to improve.

From start to finish how long did your order take? I have one im waiting on and just trying to guage how long to wait.. I was thinking 4 weeks before the launch was good enough but....

There whole model is purely reactive now. I had an order placed last year and it went for weeks without a reply. Took to FB to ask around if things were open or closed and Buddy pops into my messages. His biggest concern wasn't delivering my product but having the post removed. Never did get my items 😒

Buyer beware.

There are other great vendors out there that you can rely on.

There whole model is purely reactive now. I had an order placed last year and it went for weeks without a reply. Took to FB to ask around if things were open or closed and Buddy pops into my messages. His biggest concern wasn't delivering my product but having the post removed. Never did get my items 😒

Buyer beware.

There are other great vendors out there that you can rely on.
Did you report it to anyone.. theft is theft

Took a couple of weeks, but I started trying to contact them early. Buddy called me, and after that I got the order in 3 days. I don't think calling or emailing them helps too much, but Buddy got back to me by responding to one of my voicemails. Buddy was concerned about the forum posts, and to me that's understandable. However, I can't explain the delays, and I hope this problem gets resolved in the future because the products are good..

Latest posts

Back