Tripoli Central California

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacEsq

Reaction score
Anybody know the 2014 launch schedule? Their website https://tccrockets.com/ does not have the new schedule posted and the site has not been updated since November.

Given that SARG (https://www.sargrocket.org/) has lost its field and LUNAR (https://www.lunar.org/) has not launched in months due to dry conditions I am looking to make the trip to Fresno to launch.

Hopefully all of the above issues will be resolved soon.

I think the standing schedule is the 3rd Saturday of each month, though sometimes the site varies. You can send an email to Jack at WhatsUpHobby (address on his site) if the TCC site isn't updated in the near future.

Our launches are always the 3rd Saturday of each month. The very rare exception is sometimes our 3 day launches in May, Dairy Air, and October, October Skies. Occasionally, these launches are a week earlier our later. January's launch will be the 18th. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Chris

I emailed the prefect last week and he said the January waiver has been confirmed and the launch is a go for the 18th. He said the waivers for the rest of the year should follow shortly, but(as others have said) they launch on the 3 Saturday of the month. Since they can launch there without rain I'll probably be heading down there since I doubt LUNAR is happening this month.

Well if there are any LUNAR or SARG members who want to carpool or caravan down there let's talk. I have a big truck and a couple extra seats.

I planning to go down to TCC too. I'm assuming too dry for LUNAR and SARG still be looking for new site. I went down to TCC last Jan, weather should real mild.

TCC update their website... launch schedule for 2014 is posted.

https://tccrockets.com/

Don't assume a cancellation, that brings bad luck. Positive thoughts for a Jan 11 launch at Snow Ranch . . . EVERYBODY!!!
I'M NOT FEELING IT!!! LET'S TRY HARDER NOW!!! :flyingpig::horse::bangbang:

You know, it just struck me that if we're worrying about no rain in January making for dry conditions and cancelled launches, then what about Snow Ranch during the summer months . . . I'm assuming no launches in the summer.

Last edited:
I'm just wishing for a launch. I'm about ready to say goodbye to California and move to Nevada. I'll bet they have less problems with cancellations and losing of fields.

TCC, as much as I like the place, is 4-1/2 hours each way. Dairy Aire and October Skies are worth the drive. Otherwise it's Snow Ranch or either the Reno Club or Carson City Club, which are both closer to me than TCC.

Last edited:
Don't assume a cancellation, that brings bad luck. Positive thoughts for a Jan 11 launch at Snow Ranch . . . EVERYBODY!!!
I'M NOT FEELING IT!!! LET'S TRY HARDER NOW!!! :flyingpig::horse::bangbang:

You know, it just struck me that if we're worrying about no rain in January making for dry conditions and cancelled launches, then what about Snow Ranch during the summer months . . . I'm assuming no launches in the summer.

I edited my post... hope that doesn't causing flooding.....

You know, it just struck me that if we're worrying about no rain in January making for dry conditions and cancelled launches, then what about Snow Ranch during the summer months . . . I'm assuming no launches in the summer.[/QUOTE]

Too dry in summer, High Power launch season is Nov-May.... Nov and May always in doubt and depend on rains.... Prairie is too dry.. fire danger.

Check out LUNAR's Calendar at https://www.lunar.org/.

LUNAR does do lower power launches all year at a different location.

Last edited:

Too dry in summer, High Power launch season is Nov-May.... Nov and May always in doubt and depend on rains.... Prairie is too dry.. fire danger.

Check out LUNA's Calendar at https://www.lunar.org/.

LUNAR does do lower power launches all year at a different location.[/QUOTE]

Thanks David, now I fully understand the situation and can plan accordingly. I really don't care for the other launch site (Moffett Field) and corresponding altitude/motor restrictions and really don't like the hard landing surface; though, the hard surface probably doesn't affect low power rockets, but mid-power rockets like Aerotech would be susceptible to damage.

Looking forward to another Dairy Aire and October Skies at TCC, too bad the location isn't conducive to camping. Hate driving back to Selma for motel. Any place better to recommend? I have stayed at the Swedish Inn in the past.

Actually the site is well suited to camping and it is encouraged during October Skies and DairyAire.

So what is everyone bringing? This will be my first high power launch since August 2009 so I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of AP burn. I will be bringing a 4in Iris with a K550.

Actually the site is well suited to camping and it is encouraged during October Skies and DairyAire.

Awesome, good to know. All I remembered was in 2001 Dairy Aire (gotta look at my t-shirt to verify year) it didn't seem that anyone camped out at the launch site. It was hella hot that year, over 100 at 10 a.m. and I suffered; had to put cold towels over my face. I believe it was heat exhaustion. I also volunteered for range duty, standing way out in one of the fields spotting rockets, which didn't help the condition. Also drank a lot of gatorade that caused explosive gas out of my tail, probably could have launched a rocket. On the way home, had to stop at one of those gas stations that also had two fast food joints inside, and had to use the bathroom. On the way out, there was a big line waiting, and I apologized to everybody for the condition of the bathroom. It needed someone with the right gear to clean up.:facepalm:

Probably bring back my Scotglass 3.9" Nike Smoke, that I certified Level 2 with at TCC back in 2000. Perhaps I'll also bring my Yank Enterprises 4" PAC-3 for its maiden flight using a GWIZ LC for apogee deployment. It would also be my first use of electronics outside of a magnetic apogee detector. The Nike Smoke will be using a magnetic apogee detector for apogee deployment. As for motors, prolly nothing above a 38mm J, perhaps the J570 in the PAC-3 and something smaller in the Nike Smoke.

I should have my LOC EZI-65 built by then and I would love to fly it on the I65DM.

Last edited:

Check out LUNA's Calendar at https://www.lunar.org/.

LUNAR does do lower power launches all year at a different location.

Thanks David, now I fully understand the situation and can plan accordingly. I really don't care for the other launch site (Moffett Field) and corresponding altitude/motor restrictions and really don't like the hard landing surface; though, the hard surface probably doesn't affect low power rockets, but mid-power rockets like Aerotech would be susceptible to damage.

Looking forward to another Dairy Aire and October Skies at TCC, too bad the location isn't conducive to camping. Hate driving back to Selma for motel. Any place better to recommend? I have stayed at the Swedish Inn in the past.[/QUOTE]

I always camp out at TCC DA/OS, I've stayed at Harris Ranch a few times. I've never stay at hotel around Lunar.

I always camp out at TCC DA/OS, I've stayed at Harris Ranch a few times. I've never stay at hotel around Lunar.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand DA/OS.

Has anybody checked the LUNAR site? THE JANUARY 11 SNOW RANCH LAUNCH IS ON!!!!

Yes, I just saw that, very encourging. I've been emailing with Club Pres, as of this Tuesday AM he said that he was waiting for word from Land owner and Ranch Hands on conditions. No email to club members yet and hot line (925-443-8705) has not been updated... but I'm sure that is coming.

I am still going to TCC on 1/18.

Same here. Not holding my breath for Snow Ranch due to the fact we still have had no rain. Already looking to the 18th in Fresno.

Same here. Not holding my breath for Snow Ranch due to the fact we still have had no rain. Already looking to the 18th in Fresno.

You ever watch Kelley's Heroes? Gavin McLeod was Donald Sutherland's (Oddball) tank mechanic and he always had those very same negative thoughts. Donald Surtherland (Oddball) would say "There you go again, with those negative thoughts. Can!t you ever think positively? Woof Woof.

By the way, I'm considering Fresno also. Hella long drive for a one day launch, oh well.

Last edited:
You ever watch Kelley's Heroes? Gavin McLeod was Donald Sutherland's (Oddball) tank mechanic and he always had those very same negative thoughts. Donald Surtherland (Oddball) would say "There you go again, with those negative thoughts. Can!t you ever think positively? Woof Woof.

By the way, I'm considering Fresno also. Hella long drive for a one day launch, oh well.

Its reverse psychology ... if I am not planning on going it will happen. Whereas if I am all amped and ready to go Saturday it will be cancelled. ;)

As for Fresno ... if you want to meet us (my boys and I) in Elk Grove we can carpool from there. I have a truck with seating for five. Let me know if you are interested.

Just got the email from LUNAR ... seems Snow Ranch is a GO pending weather.

Its reverse psychology ... if I am not planning on going it will happen. Whereas if I am all amped and ready to go Saturday it will be cancelled. ;)

As for Fresno ... if you want to meet us (my boys and I) in Elk Grove we can carpool from there. I have a truck with seating for five. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer, but I will have other stops in Sacramento to make, so timing necessitates I take my vehicle.

I will be going to the TCC launch regardless. Both my wife and friend asked for the 18th off so that's what we are doing. I find it odd LUNAR is even considering a possibility when there is no rain in the forecast. Do they have a way of wetting the ground down or something?

Has anybody checked the LUNAR site? THE JANUARY 11 SNOW RANCH LAUNCH IS ON!!!!

Just heard the good news from Qquake2k...WOOHOO! First launch since April! I'm all over this! See everyone there...just look for the pink rockets and the dude wearing the bright yellow construction vest.

Pink so I can see my rockets on the ground and yellow so y'all can see me if I'm on the ground. LOL!

via Forumrunner/GS4

I will be going to the TCC launch regardless. Both my wife and friend asked for the 18th off so that's what we are doing. I find it odd LUNAR is even considering a possibility when there is no rain in the forecast. Do they have a way of wetting the ground down or something?

Morning Dew ought to be enough this time of year, and I'm not talking about the song.

See ... I started getting excited about the launch and .... just got a new email saying the launch is CANCELLED due to forecasted low clouds and possible rain. :(

Back