Tour De Deuce at SEARS 572 Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great picture :). I downloaded the videos, very cool :). There is also a cool video of a D12 ACME on the non-TTD Feb7th launch page.

Originally posted by jetra2
I had been thinking about a TDD Grand Finale all along, even before the project started. I had thought that we could make it a big day at CMASS or something similar, with Carl coming out and bringing the Super DW and Super Tres, at least a hundred DW launches, maybe even a 20-30 way drag race...:D :D Then after all that, we'd all go to Jim's place and hang out... :D

Now THAT would be fun!

Jason

Just remember Jason that the last launch of the TTD project will not be a CMASS launch... since CMASS is in MA, and the last launch is in NH...

But I am all for having a celebration launch at an CMASS launch :D

Oh now THAT'S an cool pic!:) Looks like you had fun! Way to go SEARS

I got that pix in the mail this morning and saved this thread for last :D

incredibly cool. It's actually 11 Deuce's if you look in the lower left you can see the 11th one about 4" off the pad...

I will be looking through the photo album in a moment but for now i'm just tickled to death!

Think about it, folks, that was essentially a 22 engine cluster.... :eek:

Can't wait to read the final TdD report and hope to get this all online soonest!

As for the Grand Finale, while it *will* be in New Hampshire, I am hoping to secure CMASS to be a big part of it cuz I have a rather elaborate idea that would require the services of a well run launch club like CMASS. My biggest problem will be locating a field...

now to go look at the pix!

Originally posted by jflis
It's actually 11 Deuce's if you look in the lower left you can see the 11th one about 4" off the pad...

Jim, that 11th Deuce never left the rod. It was underpowered (dual B6-4s) and only one B ignited. It ended up sliding back down the rod and popping it's nosecone off. :(

details, details, details... :)

Can't wait to get the full report! Oh, and I would love hi-res of all the pix for the photo album!
jim

Now, that's (as Jim would say) kewl! :D

10-11 Dueces all at once. The video was good too.

Some one has to top that.

Maybe they could do 50 of them all at once at the finale, to

represent all 50 states or something.

Great launch to all to all those involved. :)

Well my pics are not as good as that one, but here they are.
Here's all the DW's at ignition.
We had 11 Deuce's, with one motor not ignite, so that's 21 motors that did ignite. 10 Deuce's made it into the sky, 1 stayed on the pad. But still, come on, 11 DW's, 21 motors, 20 smoke trails. Yeah, it was awesome. :D

Oh yeah, I have that nice red skin tone too. All over my face, ouch.

Tim

Here's a pic of the first TDD Deuce's Wild launching.

And here's one of it higher in the sky.
I don't have a pic of the other TDD DW.
My camera wasn't ready when it launched.
But it was pretty much a mirror image of the first one.

Tim

Hey Jason,

I got a great video of your upscale Deuce. :(
You know what I mean?

SEARS can give the full report, but as for me, I had a great time.
It was great to meet the SEARS gang, and Jason, Eugene and his dad. Sorry about your experience with Alabama's soil and rain mixture.

The weather wasn't exactly in our favor. It was a bit cold, and the wind was rediculous, but we still had a great time. I only put up 4 rockets: Stars & Stripes on a C6, Deuce's Wild on 2 B6's, Whiffle Missile on a D12, and Caution Rocket Launch In Progress on an A8. All with excellent flights and recovery.
I didn't launch my upscale Deuce with camera payload. I was too afraid to risk it in all the wind. I had planned on launching alot more, but after I recovered a couple drifters, I just didn't want to walk after any more.

Jason was much braver than I though, and most enjoyable for me was seeing his Mustang on an F25. Wow! What a flight.
We also got to see Eugene's Nomad go on 2 stages. Also a very interesting flight. If only it had gone vertically as far as it did horizontally. ;)

Well, that's enough for now. I'm sure SEARS will have plenty more to say.

Tim

Tour De Deuce Alabama

Hosted by SEARS 572

The Southeast Alabama Rocketry Society (SEARS) hosted the Alabama stop of Tour De Deuce at their February 7, 2004 club launch in Headland, AL. The conditions were not the best with winds 10 to 15 mph, but the two tour deuces had great flights. This launch was a special treat as the TDD originators, Eugenio Cebollero (eugenefl) and Jason Toft (jetra2) from the Tampa/St. Pete area of Florida were in attendance. The field had received three inches of rain the night before and sure enough the car that got stuck, up to the frame, was Eugene's rental car. Also Jason was greatly relieved to see the two TDD Deuce's were in good condition. They are his "babies" he said.

The SEARS club and guests put together a special mass launch of eleven Deuce's Wilds. Ten of the eleven made it off the rods and it was quite a visual display enjoyed by all. Keith Stewart (RevKeith) took the perfect still photo included in this report. Likewise, Marty Wiggins of SEARS 572 captured the launch on video. See https://sears572.com/gallery/Alabama_Tour_De_Deuce

The Tour De Deuce is on an a sweep of the south having stopped at Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama. Mississippi is the next stop. We enjoyed the company of Eugene, his Dad, Jason and also Tim Breland of Selma Alabama who is slim_t on The Rocketry Forum.

Greg Lane
SEARS 572 President
www.sears572.com

P.S. It is not always cold, windy, and muddy. I hope you can return to an upcoming launch slim_t Also good luck on forming a club eugenefl and jetra2. I know you guys can pull off anything you put your mind to. Just look at TDD.

Originally posted by LaneKG
P.S. It is not always cold, windy, and muddy. I hope you can return to an upcoming launch slim_t.

Absolutely. On the way home my niece and I were talking about the mass launch of the Deuce's, and she said clubs should have a special event like that at every launch. I told her that's exactly what SEARS does. I told her about the things I had seen on your website such as the Gemini DC and Exoskell competitions. So we'll definately be making it to some more launches.

Tim

There were several Flis paper rockets at the February 7th SEARS 572 launch including:

Caution Rocket Launch In Progress.

https://fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/kit_detail/caution_rocket.htm

and

Midnight Express

https://fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/kit_detail/midnight_express.htm

These can be downloaded for free from Fliskits and printed out.

Perhaps we could make a matrix of launch rods 4 X 6 and do a two dozen paper rockets mass launch. The rods could be 18 in I bet. A good use for the 24 output mass launch controller. I have posted this on the SEARS News Forum. We will see how many are interested.

We could also have three salvos of eight may be 1 second apart.

Thanks Jim for another great rocket innovation!

Thanks,

Greg
www.sears572.com

Originally posted by LaneKG
Perhaps we could make a matrix of launch rods 4 X 6 and do a two dozen paper rockets mass launch. The rods could be 18 in I bet. A good use for the 24 output mass launch controller. I have posted this on the SEARS News Forum. We will see how many are interested.

Sounds like a great idea to me. I have about 10 paper rockets myself that I have built for me and my kids. I think that's an excellent way to make good use of your setup. I'm not sure when you'd like to do it, but hopefully I could come and bring all of my kids, niece, and nephews. Most of my paper rockets are theirs anyway, and they would absolutely love it. I may even have to ressurect my 2 stage paper commanche. :)

Tim

Photo album looks great Jim.
I'll see if I have any more pics to add.
We also drag raced 3 Caution RLIP rockets that was pretty neat.
Another great paper rocket.
Jason and I had A8's in ours and the third one had a B6, so guess who won. But we had a shorter walk. :D

Tim

Back