Tour de Deuce - Revamped!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing, when we flew them in Cincinnati, it was a little windy so I think we used 12 or 15" chutes instead of 18" and they flew great. Since the rockets are pretty beefy they can stand a lot (as long as they don't land on concrete or something).

There's a 17" and 2 22" nylon chutes in the box. I'm wondering how to get a 22" nylon chute into the rocket, looks kinda big. I'm thinking if I can't get them to fit I'll add one of my new chrome Mylar chutes. Well, we'll see.

Oh, the booster stage is actually has an 18mm MT, main dia is BT50. On one fin in big letters it says "North Dakota". On the faceing fin it says, "That's where the other half of this Cheetah is". On the body tube it's self it says, "PAPAROOF".

There's a 17" and 2 22" nylon chutes in the box. I'm wondering how to get a 22" nylon chute into the rocket, looks kinda big. I'm thinking if I can't get them to fit I'll add one of my new chrome Mylar chutes. Well, we'll see.

Oh, the booster stage is actually has an 18mm MT, main dia is BT50. On one fin in big letters it says "North Dakota". On the faceing fin it says, "That's where the other half of this Cheetah is". On the body tube it's self it says, "PAPAROOF".

Sounds like that's just another souvenir that was added to the box.

Not yet, no one to fly with :( I'll get it done by the weekend. Got a place for me to send it? Besides your house?

Not yet, no one to fly with :( I'll get it done by the weekend. Got a place for me to send it? Besides your house?

Let's try to find someone so I don't go broke shipping this thing.

HEY FOLKS!

We have six states left. Two of those already have volunteers so they can be the last two. If you or someone you know can fly these two rockets on one of these remaining FOUR states, RAISE your (digital) hand! This may be your last chance to be a part of history.

Louisiana
Massachusetts 2nd to last state - Doug Gardei
New Hampshire Last state - Jim Flis
Oklahoma
West Virginia
Wyoming

Where ya flying them Dave? I'd like to see them!

Braden

Don't know right yet, I was planning tomorrow BUT... the bank that handles SSI is pulling a scamm that I'm not falling for so I have to wait until they free my money up by sending me a new card. The scam was that I pay for an "expedited" for $14 or wait longer for normal channels. 50,000,000+ people are served by Social Security or SSI, if Comerica Bank says there's "suspicious activity" on only 100,000 that's $1,400,000 in their coffers and 100K is insignficant when compaired to 50 million. I was told by Social Security that "there have been meetings" so they know about it.

Anyway, I got a field a mile away I'd like to use. Boise Public School property so I can fly there and the area is huge, site of many future soccer fields ;)

Got it done :) First day in a while without wind so I wheeled my handcart with stuff in it out back to the 2 Acre Launch Complex. I had no help so there's no photos :p but I've hung onto these long enough, it was time to send them on. Now, there's a small problem with that...I'm out of money :( My doctor changed my diet and I had to get different food or starve. I have a few calls to make then I might have the money to send it on before the first of the month...at least I hope.

Even without pictures, be sure to include some kind of memento from Idaho in the box. Do you have a state magnet or a fake potato or something?

Memento included as well as a new memento box, the old one was breaking down from being overstuffed. I have sooner.boomer's address so as soon as I can I'll get them sent off.

Also, at the very least see if you can get a static photo of you with the two models!

Lastly, if you need funds for shipping please contact me via email or phone. No worries :)

I noticed West Virginia was on the list.......
Would be pretty cool if someone could take them to Coalwood to launch.......

wick

The last two states are petty much covered, but I can't believe there is no one in the other four, (or maybe three if Oklahoma is covered) that doesn't want to fly these rockets. I don't remember what it cost to ship these, but I sure didn't think it was anywhere near $23.00...Is the box getting that heavy with all the state memorabilia? I know its kind of neat to see what is all in it, but could a good portion of that be sent to Jim. I'm not sure what he has planned for this stuff once the tour is complete. Just wondering.....I can't believe it coming up on ten years since I flew them here. Would love to see some photos of the box and all its stuff now....
Larry

oh, I would be willing to help move them along also if someone needed help with shipping...

Tuesday's payday so there's no problems with that. I got them box in a box, looks like the inner box is the original but it's very beat up so someone added more protection in the form of another box. Plus I've added the weight of a small aluminum case for the souvineres but there's plenty of room for it and I think things will stay in better shape.

Anyway, they're moving Tuesday to Oklahoma.

Tuesday's payday so there's no problems with that. I got them box in a box, looks like the inner box is the original but it's very beat up so someone added more protection in the form of another box. Plus I've added the weight of a small aluminum case for the souvineres but there's plenty of room for it and I think things will stay in better shape.

Anyway, they're moving Tuesday to Oklahoma.

The outside box has been around too. Before I sent it to you I peeled off about three or four layers of previous addresses.

This is where we are now:

Louisiana
Oklahoma
West Virginia
Wyoming

If I am not mistaken, the box is on it's way to Oklahoma so we need to find volunteers for only three more states: Louisiana, West Virginia and Wyoming.

Anybody?

John, Tried to send you a pm, but your msg box is full.
Larry

I could take it to Wyoming and launch it if you cant find anyone there to do it, I only live one hour from the border. In the spring or summer that is too much snow otherwise.

TA

I could take it to Wyoming and launch it if you cant find anyone there to do it, I only live one hour from the border. In the spring or summer that is too much snow otherwise.

TA

Thanks for offering. anybody here actually FROM Wyoming or who goes to visit relative there? Anybody?

I received the box Thursday Oct. 10th and everything looks good and ready to launch. I have some krylon Blue paint so I’ll give the primer painted nose cone a couple of coats before launching. It may not be an exact match but it’s better than flat gray.

P.A.R.C. is having a club event on the 19th which will give me my first chance to launch. If the weather cooperates* I should have everything completed and tidied up and be ready to ship the box off to the next person/state by the end of October. Should the weather act up on the 19th it will be another month before we have our next club launch and by then it will be the end of November before I could ship. It will be getting on towards winter at that point so Wyoming might be a wash; perhaps Louisiana instead?

I recently obtained a perfect example of “Oklahoma” to include in the BOX. One dead armadillo shoveled off the eastbound lane of historic Route 66 right outside my town.

Just kidding folks; everybody knows that a dead armadillo on a highway is Texas’ state emblem not Oklahoma’s.

I’m not sure I have any C6-3s and I have no means of obtaining any before the 16th. One of the downsides of living in a small town in Oklahoma is that the “nearest” (Note quote marks) hobby shop where I can be assured of finding any C6-3 motors is 140+ miles away.

I spoke with Jim at fliskits and he assured me C6-5s will be acceptable. I hope he’s right I’d hate to be the one who turns these ten year old, well traveled and many times launched rockets into a pile of disassociated pieces. Or just pancake them into the dirt.

*Rogers and Hammerstein didn’t write that song without reason.

Last edited:
This Saturday’s (Oct. 19th) launch has been cancelled due to rain. Next available launch window will be Nov. 5th.

Okay, I just got word that Oklahoma is DONE. That means that there are only THREE states yet to spoken for: Louisiana, Wyoming, and West Virginia. thobin has said that he might be able to fly in Wyoming if there is a break in the weather, but I have had ZERO volunteers for Louisiana or West Virginia. Come on folks, let's not get stuck with two states to go.

Who can help?

States left:

Louisiana
West Virginia
Wyoming

John; you need to clear some room in your PM folder.

Anybody ready to take on these rockets for the next flight?

Sorry, I lost track of who was waiting for whom. I have offers to fly in Wyoming and West Virginia but the weather may be too bad in WY as winter has already closed in. I should be able to PM you an address within the week.

If anyone knows anyone in Louisiana that will complete the list.

Does anyone know an NAR or Tripoli club, or member in Louisiana that they can put me in touch with?

You can find pictures and videos of the Oklahoma flights here: https://www.piedmontrocketry.org/

Note to Jim Flis: I can't seem to be able to download any of these. If you want them for posterity/display you may have to contact the page administrator directly.

John;

What’s the status of the next flight?

I sent the package off to the next flyer a couple of months ago.

P.S. You need to empty some space in your PM file.

Back