3D Printing Tools I recommend for 3d Printer Fanatics.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Ok, I have been printing with FDM 3d printer for over a year and I have found a number of useful tools.

1. Allen Wrenches: A good set are essential to repairing and building your printer. Metric Allen wrenches are a must. Forget those cheapos and buy a good set. I like the magnetic ones. If you do now know why you soon will.
  2. Print removal tool: I really like the Buildtak version. I do not use it on PEI or the PEI Textured but just about any other surface. A good removal tool can be essential.
  3. A good set of cutters: A good set of flush cutters are worth their weight in gold. I like the Hakko brand. I bought 5 and I still need more.
  4. Blue masking tape: This stuff can be essential to printing certain filaments. I like the 2-inch version.
  5. Glue Stick: It promotes adhesion is a releasing agent. I use UHU Colored Glue Stick with polycarbonate filaments.
  6. Needle nose pliers: I really like the LAOA 6 in 1 Multi Needle-nose Pliers. I have tossed the Prusa pliers to the side.
  7. Regular pliers: the e3D hot-end tends to spin when you try to remove a nozzle. I use these to hold it still. For this one, you can use just about any. I sued a set from Harbor Freight until I found these.
  8. Tweezers: A set of tweezers will help you keep your nozzle clean.
  9. Digital Calibers: I really like the alimental design of the KRAFTLER Digital Vernier Calipers.

Last edited:
Continuation:
  1. Plastic razor scrapers: FOSHIO Plastic Razor Scrapers are great to remove excess glue stick or that difficult to remove the print. It will not scrape your bed.
  2. Utility Knife: I purchased the PrvnPro Folding utility knife. I have never been more satisfied.
  3. Sand Paper: I use the black stuff in 120-240 grit. Toughing up thew prints can help the glue and paint stick.
  4. Kapton Tape: Kapton Tape is a good surface for difficult stick ABS or blended filaments.
  5. Steel print bed blank: An extra print bed is essential to trying our different print surfaces. I apply Pei to one side and the surface of homie to the other - Buildtac, Kapton tape, or blue painters tape.
  6. Desiccant Pouches: They will keep your filament dry and printing well. I like 100-gram sachets.
  7. Smoke detector: A good smoke detector is essential. The are many options. I like the First Alert Atom.
  8. Nozzle cleaner: I like the drill bits, but you can use the acupuncture needles.
  9. PTFE Reamer: This device is a real time saver. This will make chamfering your PTFE easier and reduce jams.
What tools do you use? I am interested in adding to my list.

Last edited:
Your links aren’t working. I have a handful of cheap tools for 3D printing scavenged from the rest of the house or that came with my Ender 3. After 3 months, I know I need some upgrades.

Generally I have found that all the tools I need I have acquired in my hobbies, though a few specialty items are still required from time to time.

Your links aren’t working. I have a handful of cheap tools for 3D printing scavenged from the rest of the house or that came with my Ender 3. After 3 months, I know I need some upgrades.

I fixed the links. I am not sure why that happened. In general, I have the tools I needed, but I found better ones.

Excelent write-up! Thank you for the links - very helpful.

Not necessarily a tool, but I knew right away, that pegboards and lots of storage was in my future. There are tons of pegboard hooks on Thingiverse too. Still need to get airtight totes. My headlamp comes in handy a lot....

Hakko is good, but I've been a fan of Klein since I was 10 or 11 and I got a set of Klein diagonal cutters for building Heathkits. They still make great tools.

Hakko is good, but I've been a fan of Klein since I was 10 or 11 and I got a set of Klein diagonal cutters for building Heathkits. They still make great tools.
I have Klein diagonal cutters btu prefer flush cutters for filament.

Thanks very much for this. 3D printing is a skill/art/hobby where one greatly depends on the advice of those whom have gone before. 😀

Continuation:
  1. Plastic razor scrapers: FOSHIO Plastic Razor Scrapers are great to remove excess glue stick or that difficult to remove the print. It will not scrape your bed.
  2. Utility Knife: I purchased the PrvnPro Folding utility knife. I have never been more satisfied.
  3. Sand Paper: I use the black stuff in 120-240 grit. Toughing up thew prints can help the glue and paint stick.
  4. Kapton Tape: Kapton Tape is a good surface for difficult stick ABS or blended filaments.
  5. Steel print bed blank: An extra print bed is essential to trying our different print surfaces. I apply Pei to one side and the surface of homie to the other - Buildtac, Kapton tape, or blue painters tape.
  6. Desiccant Pouches: They will keep your filament dry and printing well. I like 100-gram sachets.
  7. Smoke detector: A good smoke detector is essential. The are many options. I like the First Alert Atom.
  8. Nozzle cleaner: I like the drill bits, but you can use the acupuncture needles.
  9. PTFE Reamer: This device is a real time saver. This will make chamfering your PTFE easier and reduce jams.
What tools do you use? I am interested in adding to my list.

Great work Chuck, I still cannot get the smoke detector links to work.

I love my T-handle hex wrenches, MC https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/2982 . Although, they don't fit in small spaces, they are a lot easier to handle than hex keys, don't get lost as easy, can spin a bolt in or out in a jiffy, and have the sizes printed on the handles.

View attachment 420626

These are essential. I bought the Bondhus t-handled metric hex wrenches but do nto use them for this. I really like the rack that comes with them. I will have to add a set to my 3d printing toolbox.

Good point: Any try this? 3D print finishing tool?
Embedded link didn't work for me, but copy & paste worked on it. I once spent a totally absurd amount for a similar tool from a Kickstarter. Total garbage that I tossed. Got this instead. Worked just as well (better), but I didn't use it much; I'd have to hunt to find it.

That gadget being USB-powered would probably be handy.

Last edited by a moderator:
VC
Embedded link didn't work for me, but copy & paste worked on it. I once spent a totally absurd amount for a similar tool from a Kickstarter. Total garbage that I tossed. Got this instead. Worked just as well (better), but I didn't use it much; I'd have to hunt to find it.

That gadget being USB-powered would probably be handy.

I will have to try that one. The other one is USB powered but not needed in my opinion.

The Hollow Creative Versa Tool has all you need to clean up prints.

Here is another option: USB Powered 3D Print Tool.

Without a doubt. The cheap hex keys that come with printers belong purely in the bin, they cause more problems than they fix.

I use Bondhus t-keys but any decent set should last a life time.

Without a doubt. The cheap hex keys that come with printers belong purely in the bin, they cause more problems than they fix.

I use Bondhus t-keys but any decent set should last a life time.

Absolutely - Bondhus or Were.

Will the T-handles get in the way on most printers? I have an Ender 3 Pro at the moment.

I have an Ender 3 Pro, also. For the most part, no, they won't get in the way. Those few times they do, you still have the Allen Keys that Ender provided, right? Those aren't the best in the world, but they're not bad. Mine came with ball-end hex keys.

Turn in to the dark side, buy a Prusa.
I would like one. If I have a chance to upgrade or buy another I definitely will. I’ve had the Ender apart several times due to poor workmanship or inferior parts. Probably spent $100+ in upgrades. Still has issues. Of course my biggest problem now is the inability to find any ipa around here for cleaning the bed.

I would like one. If I have a chance to upgrade or buy another I definitely will. I’ve had the Ender apart several times due to poor workmanship or inferior parts. Probably spent $100+ in upgrades. Still has issues. Of course my biggest problem now is the inability to find any ipa around here for cleaning the bed.

Costco and Sams have 91% in 4 packs.

Be cautious with IPA for cleaning the bed - some of it (even some of the 91% stuff) leaves a film behind. Amazon sells 99.9% IPA but it's pricey; try your local drug store for 91% IPA.
I think the biggest change I've made in printing is making sure the bed is scrupulously clean - never touch it with your fingers (wear gloves if you need to), and clean with a good solvent. What I've started using is eyeglass lens wipes (not alcohol prep pads). They're loaded with solvents that quickly remove oils (like from your skin because you touched the plate) and evaporate cleanly, they're lint-free, and they're single use so they're always clean.

Be cautious with IPA for cleaning the bed - some of it (even some of the 91% stuff) leaves a film behind. Amazon sells 99.9% IPA but it's pricey; try your local drug store for 91% IPA.
I think the biggest change I've made in printing is making sure the bed is scrupulously clean - never touch it with your fingers (wear gloves if you need to), and clean with a good solvent. What I've started using is eyeglass lens wipes (not alcohol prep pads). They're loaded with solvents that quickly remove oils (like from your skin because you touched the plate) and evaporate cleanly, they're lint-free, and they're single use so they're always clean.

True. read the ingredients and not just the 91% labels. What is the other 9%?

Latest posts

Back