3D Printing Tools I recommend for 3d Printer Fanatics.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not certain you can buy Halon extinguishers. They were replaced with halotron. Given enough heat, halon can produce phosgene gas. Think WW1.
Also, buy a small extinguisher. Like any extinguisher, you can fill the room with so much agent that you suffocate. CO2 will work but it has 2 problems; the bottles are heavy and if the braided hose does not have a good electrical connection with the bottle, you can get a nasty static discharge.

In each enclosure, I have installed a magnet to the top to attach flashlights. I ordered these flashlights to spotlight areas during maintenance.

My wife just updated my Dremel and it occurs to me that this tool is useful for cleaning up prints. I am recommending a Demel 8200 if you do nto already own one. What do you use to clean up your prints?

Good morning. I've been lurking here for awhile. Started 3D printing in August.

I'm considering this fire extinguisher for protection while I'm away from home. Any thoughts?

AFG FIREBALL MINI-Fire Extinguisher Ball, Red | Automatic Fire Extinguisher Ball with Hanging Loop and Glow-in-the-Dark Safety Sign Sticker | Ideal for Home, RV, Car, Boat and more
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07XV7H1GJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_C6HxFbJS4H2TK
Screenshot_20200913-093704_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Here is another and it is more affordable.

Ball fire extinguisher.
Thank you. I'd consider the cheaper version. It appears to be rated and approved.

"Standards: Compliant with GA 602-2013, RoHS, CE and NPS standards"

It's interesting they copied the AFG graphics. In the case of protecting my home, I may select the USA manufacturer, with UL application pending.

I print a lot of PETG which tends to absorb moisture very quickly. I’ve invested in several filament dryers, but the best deal is this large food dehydrator from Menards for $12 and change

https://www.menards.com/main/applia...-jerky-gun/dd-45jc/p-1520321647429-c-9488.htm
even came with a jerky gun if you want to make some between spools ;)

View attachment 431368
This looks like an affordable food dehydrator. With shipping its a bit cheaper than models listed at Amazon. I may stick with Amazon Prime for their return policy and no cost return shipping.

Last edited:
I would recommend a good pair of Chanel Locks or a wrench to hold the heat block when removing a nozzle. I like these two because then the handle is coated.

Good morning. I've been lurking here for awhile. Started 3D printing in August.

I'm considering this fire extinguisher for protection while I'm away from home. Any thoughts?

AFG FIREBALL MINI-Fire Extinguisher Ball, Red | Automatic Fire Extinguisher Ball with Hanging Loop and Glow-in-the-Dark Safety Sign Sticker | Ideal for Home, RV, Car, Boat and more
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07XV7H1GJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_C6HxFbJS4H2TK
View attachment 431498
While a powder extinguisher works great at extinguishing fires (and these balls are full of that kind of powder), be warned that you can pretty much throw away all the electronics in the room after one has been used, including your printer. Powder extinguishers are no longer allowed in most public buildings in the Netherlands for that reason because they cause so much residual damage, as well as being a powerful laxative for people exposed to the powder. Insurance companies are behind prohibiting their use, and you are sometimes not covered if you use a powder extinguisher. I've seen expensive cars totaled because of the use of a powder extinguisher - put out the fire, but replacing the wiring harness and all the electronics meant that the car was declared totaled.

Dry chemical extinguishers also attack aluminum. That is why you will no find then in aircraft or in aircraft hangers.
While a powder extinguisher works great at extinguishing fires (and these balls are full of that kind of powder), be warned that you can pretty much throw away all the electronics in the room after one has been used, including your printer. Powder extinguishers are no longer allowed in most public buildings in the Netherlands for that reason because they cause so much residual damage, as well as being a powerful laxative for people exposed to the powder. Insurance companies are behind prohibiting their use, and you are sometimes not covered if you use a powder extinguisher. I've seen expensive cars totaled because of the use of a powder extinguisher - put out the fire, but replacing the wiring harness and all the electronics meant that the car was declared totaled.

Probably less damage than burning down your house.

Back