Tight Fit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacEsq

Reaction score
Last week at October Skies I decided to use my 29/240 case for the first time. When I wen tot load the grains and liner it would not fit. Even with a generous amount of lube the liner would get stuck approximately 1/3 to 1/2 way into the case. Luckily I was able to pull it out and clean everything up. After looking it all over I decided to peel off the outer layer of the liner tube. After that the motor loaded nicely into the casing.

I was just wondering ... is this normal?

It's not an uncommon situation - some loads even state that that might be needed in the instructions. Which load was it?

It's a tolerances thing, coupled with ambient temperature, humidity, etc. End result? AeroTech will tell you to do exactly what you did -- peel the outer layer off the liner.

I've only had to do it once, but I have had it happen. I destroyed my liner, in process, it got stuck so badly. AeroTech replaced the liner, then told me the next time, to just peel.

-Kevin

I've had to peel the outer layer off the liner when using my 38/360 casing. Also had to sand down the for and aft insulators to get them into the casing without a fight. But once assembled, everything worked fine. I've got a second reload that seems like it will need the same treatment, but probably won't get to try it out untill next year.

Back