Old AT G76-10 Mojave green

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm building an old G76-10 green load for the 29/40-120 casing (with a copperhead ignitor o_O) and the instructions have no mention regarding adjusting the delay. The old delay tool I have is for 38mm loads and the delay grain for the 29mm load doesn't fit. Balsa Machining lists an RDK 7 second delay for this motor but I seem to remember that drilling the delay grain 1/32" for each second will give you the correct delay.
Has anyone done this? It's been so long since I did a motor delay I can't remember if it would work.
I also considered adding a chute release to this Nike Smoke, but have had mixed results.

Any advise would be appreciated.

If you put the G76 delay element in the delay insulator first it should fit in your 38mm. tool. I've shortened some delays that way. 1/32in. per second is correct. I don't know if your old delay grain is accurate yet, never used a green load. For all my old red loads I bought new HDKs because of a known issue with them degrading over time. I got my HDKs from: https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/isho...-hdk-90/hobby-delay-kits-for-29mm-motors-104/

I don't even use a tool for those, just put a piece of masking tape on a 3/16" drill bit to mark the 1/32"-per-second drilled off the delay. BTW, the green loads are a PITA to light, and they also seem to have a higher failure rate than some of the other HL loads IMHO. Wildman's smallest igniters will fit in the C-slots, as will the Estes Pro Series II igniters (if you can find them).

I seem to remember that drilling the delay grain 1/32" for each second will give you the correct delay.

I flew one of those a couple years ago, with a small bit of thermalite as a helper to the Copperhead.

One of the grains had turned a tan color, much lighter than the other. I put the other grain up top. Didn’t seem to matter.

I don't believe this to be a approved modification for hobby line reloadables. it's ok to do it at a tripoli event but not so much at a nar event

Thanks for all the comments.
I tried to slide it into the old delay drill and just rolled the glassine layer back. That might work if I peeled it off, but instead I ran a few other rockets through Thrustcurve and found that Sharon's Arreaux will fly it with the 10 second delay. So I put it over on her side of the work table... The "Smokin' Nike" will fly on a G72DM DMS adjusted to 8 seconds.

Just for the record, out here in the wild wild west, nobody worries about a modified delay grain. G motors at 30 ft. are much safer that six guns at high noon on main street. 'Nuf said...

Back