Thunderbird 3 is GO!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thunderbird 3 is GO!

I haven’t built a LPR kit for a while and this one has been sitting around for about six months. I started this quite a while back, if you consider opening the packet, checking all the bits are there and downloading the instructions. Construction was only started very recently. Since it isn't just a 3FNC rocket I thought it worthy of a build thread.

The kit comes from Radical Rocketry, but don’t forget you also need to purchase some BT-50, BT-60 and BT-80 tubes as well. Parts are printed in ABS plastic (not the usual PLA used in most hobby printers) so they should withstand normal car temperatures without losing form.
https://radicalrocketry.com/
For anyone in Australia, Cape Byron Rocketry has the kits stocked.

Fin pieces were separated out and the furry edges from the CNC machining gently taken off very quickly with an emery board (used for sanding fingernails). The fin ply material looks to be really good and will not need much filling and sanding.
4Fins.jpg

The main transition was sprayed with spray putty and sanded a little. I tried doing this in the lathe, but in the end it was overkill and didn’t achieve any improvement from what I could see. The round parts were sanded on the lathe, and the fins will be left unsanded and with a little texture. Heatsinks work better that way anyway ;) .
1Transition.jpg

I attacked the nosecone next. It had quite a seam up one side, so I followed the instructions and made a slurry of ABS using the scrap pieces from the 3D printing and acetone. If you are doing this, remember to do it in a well-ventilated space. Don’t forget safety glasses and gloves too. The seam was filled with the slurry and allowed to dry out. It was then sanded with 240-grit until it was down to about the right level. This also took the layer lines off the 3D print, leaving a relatively smooth NC. Next up was a quick wipe with wax and grease remover before coating with a spray putty. This was sanded back to a reasonable finish, and then another layer of spray putty applied, and given a final light sanding. It came up quite good really. The pic looks a bit furry but it is just the camera and resized image. Very smooth.
NC.jpg

All the ABS parts were filed and sanded to take any slight lips of the ends of the parts. There are quite a few parts but it really didn’t take too long at all. The airfoils I didn’t bother sanding at all, just made sure they were relatively clean for later use. The front and rear parts for the pods were smoothed in the lathe, with an 18mm expended motor in the chuck and the parts pushed onto that. That method seemed to work well and produce nice smooth pod nose and tail cones. No sign of layer lines after it was done.
2Pods.jpg

Tubes were cut to length, sanded square and marked as per instructions using the marks on the 3D printed transition, aluminium angle and pencil. Nine slots were cut in the various tubes.
2BodyTubes.jpg

I discovered that if you make the slots undersize you can trim them open and straight, with surgical precision, if you hold a steel rule along the location you want to cut and use that to guide a scalpel while you make a slicing motion. You can take out really fine slivers of cardboard that way, easing the hole to the correct size, and with a straight edge!
6Slotted.jpg
Tabs on the fins were trimmed down slightly in length, to go into the 20mm and 40mm long slots in the airframe.

FYI, I printed up some tube sanding jigs to square the tube ends after cutting with a scalpel. Not sure where I saw the idea, but it works really well. The 3D parts were printed, holes tapped, 240-grit glued to the disks and then assembled.
TubeSandingJigs.jpg

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
I drilled out the holes in the transition to 3mm to take the braided Kevlar I have. Instead of just doing a u-turn at the holes I took it around the central stuffer tube as well, for a bit of extra support. A bowline was tied, glued with PVA, and then heatshrink tubing applied to make sure nothing snags on the line on the way out. The clear heatshrink is great, as you can see the condition of the underlying material.
Harness.jpg

Next up was to have a look at the airfoils. A location and pitch was selected and then I worked out how to get them all even, basically by drawing on my bench with a pencil.
Airfoils.jpg

I added the central stuffer tube a couple of days back to the front of the transition, so today I glued the aft BT section to the transition, using the usual West Systems 105/206. The glue was applied to the inside of the BT rather than the outside of the transition. That means all the excess squeezed out during mating goes inside the BT and out of sight. Remember to consider which side(s) to apply glue to when doing a slide mating and you can save yourself some work. I also filled the small gap between the BT and transition that is visible with epoxy. The assembly was left to cure vertically, sitting in a length of coupler. The aft closure was fitted for location purposes only and is not glued in yet.
Curing.jpg

Now I need to start thinking about buying some paint as I want to paint some parts before assembly. I am leaning towards Tamiya or Duplicolor currently.

I am also going to 3D print an alignment jig to keep the fins for the pods square with the pods and main BT. If I get keen I might even print some alignment jigs for the airfoils.

Somewhere along the way I need to fill some spirals (grumble, grumble).

I epoxied the upper airframe to the transition. Verticality was achieved by earlier sanding the tubes square, and now using a roofer's square to sight along the airframe.
20230807_214847.jpg

The aft closure was also epoxied in place.

Now we have a complete central airframe.
20230807_214648.jpg

Measured up the airframes, pods and fins so I can CAD up some alignment jigs to 3D print.

Last edited:
I very quickly sketched up some jigs to assist with fin alignment. They were then 3D printed in PLA.
Jigs.jpg

Some West Systems 105/206 was mixed up and painted onto the fins and slots. Fins were then inserted, jigged and held in place with a rubber band.
MainFins.jpg

Now leaving the epoxy to cure for a day before looking at fitting pods.

I very quickly sketched up some jigs to assist with fin alignment. They were then 3D printed in PLA.
View attachment 597091

Some West Systems 105/206 was mixed up and painted onto the fins and slots. Fins were then inserted, jigged and held in place with a rubber band.
View attachment 597093

Now leaving the epoxy to cure for a day before looking at fitting pods.

Looking good - Just don't glue jigs to model! I always worry about that when using jigs.

I try to put slots on internal centering rings in models whenever I can (these work really well to keep fins spaced properly and perpendicular). The fins are too far from the end caps on this one for that approach.

Had I thought I would have 3D printed some small inserts that can be glued inside the aft airframe to hold them straight. Would give them some strength perpendicularly and only add a little aft mass. Think permanent internal fillets.

I have got the three top fins glued in place. They were done one at a time. A straight edge was used for alignment and a drop of CA tacked the fin down. Epoxy was then applied to the rest of the joint and allowed to cure.
20230818_214057.jpg

20230818_213857.jpg

Next up I'll design a jig for aligning the airfoils on those front fins and 3D print it.

Managed to get back onto this a little. Pod top and bottom parts are now epoxied in place on the pods. Straws have been glued with CA into their required locations.

The fin ends were sanded to accept the small extension pieces, and those were glued in place with CA.
20230913_194439.jpg

20230913_194516.jpg

Those will be carefully sanded and filled to become at one with the straw ends.

Everything looks rough and ugly in close-up.

Last edited:
Managed to get back onto this a little. Pod top and bottom parts are now epoxied in place on the pods. Straws have been glued with CA tnto their required locations.

The fin ends were sanded to accept the small extension pieces, and those were glued in place with CA.
View attachment 603770

View attachment 603769

Those will be carefully sanded and filled to become at one with the straw ends.

Haha... wow (never looked that close at parts) - that is like 5mm across (those are .2mm layer lines). Bit of sanding should clean that right up.

Once I was so bothered by this that I actually toyed with the idea of not taking close-ups photos anymore. Not because I worried about what others would think, but because it was messing with my head. I was able to shake it off and move on, but I still get a little squeeged out by ultra-close-ups. 🤷‍♂️

Once I was so bothered by this that I actually toyed with the idea of not taking close-ups photos anymore. Not because I worried about what others would think, but because it was messing with my head. I was able to shake it off and move on, but I still get a little squeeged out by ultra-close-ups. 🤷‍♂️
I have to wear 5x magnification reading glasses to build models and to work on N-scale trains so maybe I should show my kids the 3D printed parts to check on print quality. ;)

Been slow progress, but got some work done tonight.

I had previously faired the straw ends, attached over a week ago, with some gentle sanding.

I also previously printed an alignment jig for getting the airfoils all neatly and rhythmically aligned. Designed a simple planar jig in SolidWorks and printed it in PLA.
Jig1.jpg

The first airfoils, closest to the airframe were glued in place using CA adhesive (Loctite 401). There is some careful sanding of the fin and the airfoil where the front goes around the fin, just to make sure it all nuzzled up nicely together. This is done for each airfoil, all 18 of them.

Once the first airfoil was on the jig was presented to the side of the fin and clamped in place with two clamps.
Jig2.jpg

The leading edge of the fin can still be sanded to shape to fit the airfoil, and indeed the jig guides you where to file. Add each airfoil in place and tack the front end with CA. Make sure you put the right length part in the right location. Repeat until all the airfoils are on the fin, then remove the jig.
Jig3.jpg

Jig4.jpg

Jig5.jpg

Just make sure the jig stays seated on the airframe. It can have a tendency to move if you are not careful.

Once the CA has set on the front, the back edges are carefully lifted (I used a dental pick) and a small amount of CA applied to the rear of each side.

Remove the jig when all airfoils on the fin are tacked in place.

I will run some epoxy on the rest of the fin/airfoil interfaces another day.

I think I'll call that a success :)

Last edited:
Been slow progress, but got some work done tonight.

I had previously faired the straw ends, attached over a week ago, with some gentle sanding.

I also previously printed an alignment jig for getting the airfoils all neatly and rhythmically aligned. Designed a simple planar jig in SolidWorks and printed it in PLA.
View attachment 605314

The first airfoils, closest to the airframe were glued in place using CA adhesive (Loctite 401). There is some careful sanding of the fin and the airfoil where the front goes around the fin, just to make sure it all nuzzled up nicely together. This is done for each airfoil, all 18 of them.

Once the first airfoil was on the jig was presented to the side of the fin and clamped in place with two clamps.
View attachment 605313

The leading edge of the fin can still be sanded to shape to fit the airfoil, and indeed the jig guides you where to file. Add each airfoil in place and tack the front end with CA. Make sure you put the right length part in the right location. Repeat until all the airfoils are on the fin, then remove the jig.
View attachment 605312

View attachment 605311

View attachment 605310

Just make sure the jig stays seated on the airframe. It can have a tendency to move if you are not careful.

Once the CA has set on the front, the back edges are carefully lifted (I used a dental pick) and a small amount of CA applied to the rear of each side.

Remove the jig when all airfoils on the fin are tacked in place.

I will run some epoxy on the rest of the fin/airfoil interfaces another day.

I think I'll call that a success :)
Cool Jig idea!

Thunderbirds versus SpaceX??? I see a trend starting to build and fly both Thunderbirds and SpaceX rockets. This brilliant parody compares them both:

So when you launch this, be sure to get the signature zoom out and rotate image!

Wow I’m in awe of your modelling skills . Thunderbirds was a massive part of my childhood .
Can’t wait to see finished item. Will be too good to fly I’m sure but I’m sure you will .!!
I’m in the UK and we are more LP and MP here .
Friend at our local club a few years back made the T3. Did a 180 straight after lift off as only 2 engines ignited , so hope your clusters go well 👍

Back