This looks interesting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e42

Reaction score
Found this on the Quest web site. They sure are coming out with some nice kits lately.

--- Ron

MLASPic003.jpg

Bill Stine had the protype on display at NARAM-51.

I will be buying one. :)

The model will be packaged in a box according to the picture on the Quest website (The website looks like it has had an upgrade).

Quest MLAS at NARAM-51.jpg

that looks good, does anyone know the motor size, looks like it could be 24mm

Judging by the model's web page, the motor size is 18mm. Specifically:
Engines (Motors): B6-4 Only

As for clustering, has Quest made any cluster kits before? I suspect that the presence of only one motor hook means only one motor and what look like other mounts in the recovery photo are perhaps dummy nozzles for scale purposes. On the other hand, a short, fat rocket with additional fins half way up the body is going to need a lot of nose weight, which is probably why the capsule separates and comes down on two parachutes. A short, fat, heavy rocket will not do very well on just one B6-4... I'd either use a C6-3 or fit a cluster mount whether the kit has one or not.

that looks good, does anyone know the motor size, looks like it could be 24mm

It is listed as B6-4. I asked about that motor choice since it is a fat and draggy rocket and HEAVY. I suggested a B6-2 and I asked if the C6-3 was not recommended because of stability. The response was that the C6-3 weight did cause stability problems, so I would *NOT* recommend trying anything heavier than a B in this model - that includes BP C motors and composite D motors. The answer about the B6-4 was that they simply don't sell B6-2 motors to retail stores, so recommending a motor that the consumer cannot get would be a bad idea.

Of course, that did not stop the Estes models sold at Wal-Mart (no B6-0 available, no 1/2A mini motors available for the models sold there that recommend them and require them to fly).

Hopefully this model can get off the normal launch pad launch rod at a good speed and reach an altitude where the parachutes can eject and inflate using a B6-4.

I've bought MANY Quest B6-2 motors. Last batch was earlier this year and they were German manufacture. They work perfectly in everything I've flown them in. They are still listed on the Quest website. But, that does not mean the average consumer will find them in their local retail store. And it would be illogical for Quest to recommend that a retail store consumer go and look for an Estes B6-2 to fly their Quest model.

They've test flown them and they say it works on the B6-4, so let's give it a shot as designed and sold.:D

Of course, some of you folks are going to do all sorts of modifications - at your own risk. ;)

Not available until November 1st..You can bet that it is on my list of 'things to get' at that time..If I remember then!:rolleyes:

It is listed as B6-4. I asked about that motor choice since it is a fat and draggy rocket and HEAVY. I suggested a B6-2 and I asked if the C6-3 was not recommended because of stability. The response was that the C6-3 weight did cause stability problems, so I would *NOT* recommend trying anything heavier than a B in this model - that includes BP C motors and composite D motors. The answer about the B6-4 was that they simply don't sell B6-2 motors to retail stores, so recommending a motor that the consumer cannot get would be a bad idea.
According to the NAR data sheets, the B6-4 weighs 17.8g while the C6-3 weighs 24.3g. According to Quest, the rocket alone weighs 5oz, i.e. 142g. That's about 4% difference. If that's enough to make the model unstable, I'd be concerned about any such model built by the sort of consumer who buys it from Wal-Mart and can't figure out where to get a B6-2. :)

Hopefully this model can get off the normal launch pad launch rod at a good speed and reach an altitude where the parachutes can eject and inflate using a B6-4.
The thrust/weight ratio of a 5oz rocket with a Quest B6-4 is a little under 4. Normally I'd be the one saying that launching a rocket with a thrust/weight ratio of 4 is fine and you'd be the one saying it needs a 6' rod. ;) Mind you, even I wouldn't put a B6-4 in such a rocket. Quest can say what they like; speaking as an RSO, I'd be very wary of letting someone launch this on a B6-4 and at the very least would declare it a heads up flight...

Back