Think Marijuana Isn't Addictive?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right wing? Left wing? What does it matter? Poorly written science is poor no matter who is publishing it.
Right there in the headline. The words "may" and the phrase "more research is needed."

I could say that if I eat a whole can of spinach like Popeye I may be able to lift a truck. It isn't at all likely, but in order to prove or disprove that claim, more research is needed. In short, anybody can say anything possible, plausible, even downright absurd, and still get it published and noticed because saying it may be true and needs further study isn't a misleading or false statement.

See also, the earth may be flat, vaccination may cause autism, there may be reptile-human hybrids living under the Denver International Airport, and I may be the ghost of Groucho Marx typing this. More research is needed to prove or disprove any of those claims.

Right wing? Left wing? What does it matter? Poorly written science is poor no matter who is publishing it.
Right there in the headline. The words "may" and the phrase "more research is needed."

I could say that if I eat a whole can of spinach like Popeye I may be able to lift a truck. It isn't at all likely, but in order to prove or disprove that claim, more research is needed. In short, anybody can say anything possible, plausible, even downright absurd, and still get it published and noticed because saying it may be true and needs further study isn't a misleading or false statement.

See also, the earth may be flat, vaccination may cause autism, there may be reptile-human hybrids living under the Denver International Airport, and I may be the ghost of Groucho Marx typing this. More research is needed to prove or disprove any of those claims.

Please show me the words MAY or MORE RESEARCH IS NEEDED in these paragraphs:
How marijuana affects the heart

Cannabis is filled with cannabinoids, or psychoactive chemicals unique to the plant. One cannabinoid called delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, is what mainly causes the psychoactive effects a person feels when they smoke or ingest the plant.

Cannabinoids raise resting heart rate and make the heart pump harder. According to a 2019 study, the literature available on cannabis suggests it can affect the heart in three major ways:

• Cannabis arteritis. Heavy cannabis use can inflame arteries, damage blood vessel walls, and reduce blood flow to the organs.
  • Cannabis-induced vasospasms. A vasospasm is when the muscular wall of an artery contracts, causing the artery to narrow and decrease the amount of blood that can go through it.
  • Platelet aggregation. This involves tiny blood cells called platelets clumping together and forming clots, which can block blood vessels and reduce blood flow.
Smoking marijuana is likely worse for your heart than edibles
Smoking marijuana might be worse for your heart than taking it in other ways, such as through edibles, says Nav Bajaj, MD, a cardiologist at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

According to the American Lung Association, smoking marijuana has been shown to expose you to the same toxins, irritants, and carcinogens as smoking tobacco. Moreover, when smoking marijuana, users often inhale more deeply than cigarette smokers, and that can lead to more tar exposure.

Please inform me if I'm wrong. I don't see the word "MAY" or the phrase MORE RESEARCH IS NEEDED anywhere in those paragraphs. You're really sounding like a science denier. I assume you don't believe in AGW global warning either?

I wouldn't call it a reliable news source, regardless of it's leaning left or right..

Tabloid or Gossip yes, but not news.

Now,

Smoking marijuana might be worse for your heart than taking it in other ways, such as through edibles, says Nav Bajaj, MD, a cardiologist at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

While it doesn't have "may" or "more research is needed" but it does say "might" and "likely", which is pretty darn close to "May".

I believe all who have read the article will say that yes, there MAY be some harm, and that more testing is needed. that's the whole scope of the article..

I can see "MAY" in the in paragraphs directly after the ones you quoted..

Marijuana and heart disease

According to a 2019 systematic review, marijuana may lead to a higher risk of heart disease. Out of the 33 studies included, 28 found that marijuana use can increase the risk of chronic cardiovascular disease and acute coronary syndrome, which involves a sudden rupture of plaque inside the coronary artery and may lead to a heart attack.

In addition, Bajaj and his team recently published a study in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology investigating how marijuana affects those with cardiovascular disease. An estimated 2 million people with cardiovascular disease consume marijuana, though Bajaj notes it's likely that number is under reported.

There is also a lot of "could" and "can" as well as Might.. so, really..

I'm not taking any chances with making any determinations I'm going to do further research.
hee hee hee...............

Running+Is+Fun

I wouldn't call it a reliable news source, regardless of it's leaning left or right..

Tabloid or Gossip yes, but not news.

Now,

While it doesn't have "may" or "more research is needed" but it does say "might" and "likely", which is pretty darn close to "May".

I believe all who have read the article will say that yes, there MAY be some harm, and that more testing is needed. that's the whole scope of the article..

I can see "MAY" in the in paragraphs directly after the ones you quoted..

Marijuana and heart disease

According to a 2019 systematic review, marijuana may lead to a higher risk of heart disease. Out of the 33 studies included, 28 found that marijuana use can increase the risk of chronic cardiovascular disease and acute coronary syndrome, which involves a sudden rupture of plaque inside the coronary artery and may lead to a heart attack.

In addition, Bajaj and his team recently published a study in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology investigating how marijuana affects those with cardiovascular disease. An estimated 2 million people with cardiovascular disease consume marijuana, though Bajaj notes it's likely that number is under reported.

There is also a lot of "could" and "can" as well as Might.. so, really..
28 out of 33
(I cant believe I just fed the troll.. :mad: )
I bet they called people trolls who in the 1950s said that smoking cigarettes was unhealthy.

now since they found the large blood clot in my right lung and also having an autoimmune disease, I cannot smoke anymore, so I'm going to have to switch over to the Edibles for the pain management

I really hope the CBD flowers help! It was very helpful when my chronic pain was worse.

I sugar pill helps up to 30%. I am not prescribing it, but I also not gonna tell you not to take it on your own if it works. As long as you not a diabetic, it is probably not doing any harm.

I have seen first-hand the physical effects of edibles, they are nasty things and should be banned. Smoking... OK, if that's your bag, but the concentration of THC or whatever else that may be in edibles is something that the body wasn't meant to metabolize.

I have seen first-hand the physical effects of edibles, they are nasty things and should be banned. Smoking... OK, if that's your bag, but the concentration of THC or whatever else that may be in edibles is something that the body wasn't meant to metabolize.

From a medical prospective, you can be addicted to red skittles. Anybody that think that THC and MJ is not addictive is a fool. Just because it might be less physically addictive does not mean it is addictive.

if we follow your logic, do you want to ban alcohol too?

(is it feeding time?)
I don't see the equivocation made with drugs and alcohol, for they're totally different issues (In a nut shell looks similar but not really, another subject for another day). Activities that cause bodily harm exist everywhere and the government doesn’t ban all of it because the people conducting it are making their own choice. But like how tobacco isn’t banned but very very well campaigned about its harm, I think the government should always continue to advocate against the use of drugs and share the harm it does to your body. But when these activities start making the people involved in such activity to cause harm to society, the justice system comes into play and makes regulations to protect the safety of society. If all drug users stayed in their own property and did their body harming activities, It's stupid, but the government won’t try to stop them because they’re not causing any trouble to other people. Medical related weed users do it in a controlled manner and don’t cause harm to society, which is why it's legal in many states with proper documentation. The issue is on the other hand a lot of the other users do it illegally obtain, use, and cause harm to society which forces the government to take action in this really iffy situation. Currently it seems like filtering out responsible users from trouble makers is impossible. Another issue is studies show medical use of drugs can cause addiction to patients. The system is also abused illegally to obtain drugs. Anyway those last two points are another topic for another day ;) I personally do not stand for any form of drug use, and will never consider the use of it even for medical use on myself. (enough studies shows the risks of medical use of drugs causing addiction which is why I do not think its worth the risk). essentially full legalization is a headache, fully making it illegal is a headache due to the medical use of it, it's really a Mexican standoff.

I fully agree with Chuck that one can become addicted to almost anything. I don't know if you all recall this, but the recreational marijuana shops were shut down for some time during the initial panic of COVID-19. Eleven states and DC constitute a rather large fraction of the US population. I find it interesting that there was no report of a huge mass of addicts headed for doctors' offices or the hospital when they couldn't get their dose. Of course, a lot of them may have stocked up beforehand.

I am NOT saying that marijuana is nonaddictive. What I did say is "I find it interesting...". I wonder if there are reports/studies of marijuana addicts at MDs/hospitals during the shutdown. It would provide a fair bit of useful data.

Best -- Terry

Back