The Nerd Pride Thread....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Built a [reasonably] high-powered (gaming) PC since my laptop and my son's laptops were way too slow at 3D modeling. I decided to build it partly since the pre-built units were not optimized for 3D modeling (e.g., very difficult to find a Intel i7-14700K CPU, DDR5 RAM, decent NVIDIA GeForce RTX video card, etc... without price skyrocketing. Also went for a fun LED outfitted case, liquid CPU cooling (necessary these days I guess), etc... Other reason for scratch building was to show my kids how to do it (or at least that it is possible). Been 25+ years since I built a PC (used to do it all the time both for myself and when I worked in a computer store pre-Dell) - honestly most annoying part was getting LEDs to work right.

View attachment 621826
Wow, I have a 4070 and a 13500. Not as powerful as yours, and definitely not as good-looking, but it works, and it's mine.

Wow, good on you! When I was in 10th grade, on the advanced math track, we had a lot of family problems, and I nearly flunked Algebra II. Got past it, though, and went on to trig and calculus in high school, and a successful career as a mechanical engineer, doing mostly analysis.

Don't know your situation, but I hope it's good and that you have plenty of blessings to tally up!
Actually, when is calculus taught in different countries? over here it's taught at A-levels (last 2 years of HS). Does it differ in America? I should be in 8th grade in the US system, and we're doing trigonometry. (but I'm already learning integration by myself.) Also, what's the difference between "advanced math" and AP?

Atari CX-2600.
Joystick, paddle wheel and touch pad controllers.
Assortment of game cartridges. Imagic had the coolest games for Atari.
View attachment 524086

Demon Attack was my favorite. A co-worker also had the system. We would swap cartridges for games we didn't have and play it overnight.
Heh.
I don't have an Atari, but I do have a raspberry pi 5. I'm playing through Pokemon Emerald on it and me and my friends have weekend street fighter 2 tournaments.

I don't have an Atari, but I do have a raspberry pi 5. I'm playing through Pokemon Emerald on it and me and my friends have weekend street fighter 2 tournaments.
Wow I never thought of that, to play it I got a GBA on EBay for 40$ it’s a pretty good system and has a lot of great games so it was money well spent.

Ps if you get the legendary it can solo the final boss ;)
Actually, when is calculus taught in different countries? over here it's taught at A-levels (last 2 years of HS). Does it differ in America? I should be in 8th grade in the US system, and we're doing trigonometry. (but I'm already learning integration by myself.) Also, what's the difference between "advanced math" and AP?
In the US we only need to do algebra, but that leaves 2 years for calculus but only the smartest students can get in because of the timing of the prerequisite classes (you need to have 2 math class in a year or be in ap/ advanced) the difference is that it’s basically the next years math the year that you’re doing it eg if bob is in ap but bill is not bill will learn what bob is next year.

Ps I am not in advanced math so next year I’m going to be doing 2 math classes in order to get to calculus and to skip a repeat of biology class (long story short I took bio a year before most people so I would have to take it again)

When I was young, long ages ago, Calculus was reserved for the final year of high school, 12th grade, and Trig the year before. @NTP2 is a lot younger than me. Fast students today can have college level calculus courses under their belts before graduating from High School. There is a lot more flexibility.

When I was young, long ages ago, Calculus was reserved for the final year of high school, 12th grade, and Trig the year before. @NTP2 is a lot younger than me. Fast students today can have college level calculus courses under their belts before graduating from High School. There is a lot more flexibility.
I see. Over here, there's no such fast track- you want to learn calculus earlier, you learn it yourself.

When I was young, long, long ages ago, my high school didn't teach calculus. I had 8 hours Calculus as a college freshman and another 4 hours as a sophomore. My high school did have some pretty good basic science courses, I got placement credit for the first freshman college chemistry course.

When I was young, long, long ages ago, my high school didn't teach calculus. I had 8 hours Calculus as a college freshman and another 4 hours as a sophomore. My high school did have some pretty good basic science courses, I got placement credit for the first freshman college chemistry course.
I tested out of my only required college chemistry course too! Great minds...:cool:

I was happy about that, too as I was an aerospace engineering major (then) and had a bad reaction to chemistry, generally.

I tested out of my only required college chemistry course too! Great minds...:cool:

I was happy about that, too as I was an aerospace engineering major (then) and had a bad reaction to chemistry, generally.

I took the second semester of college chemistry. It was mostly a repeat of my high school chemistry so it was fairly easy. At the beginning of the class the instructor told the class that the second semester was going to be harder because it was intended for science majors only and it was going to weed out a lot of them. The class apparently did weed out a lot of students according to comments I was hearing.

Well, you WAY out-nerded me on that one! I don't have a clue!
There was an episode of TNG where Picard is attempting to communicate with a species and the Universal Translator spits out cryptic sentences when translating their language. Picard eventually figures it out.

1713918598823.png

Back