The Nerd Pride Thread....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't feel quite as nerdy as I thought I did after catching up on this thread, however I did ...

• read the Red Baron's biography for a 2nd grade book report
  • read both the Time Life WWII and History of Flight series multiple times starting at age 10-ish
  • correct a tour guide at Steamtown National Historic Site on the correct nomenclature for the 'Big Boy' during a cub scouts field trip
  • design a narrow gauge model railroad layout that would have fit around my bedroom if only my parents would have given me the power tools
  • read Pappy Boyington's autobiography because he flew my favorite WWII fighter plane and have to ask my dad what an orgy was at age 10-ish
  • read a Luftwaffe pilot's autobiography (name escapes me right now) about flying Bf-109s around the same time
  • as a 7th grader get super excited to use Ti-81s, and got more excited in 12th grade AP Calc to have the school issue me a brand new Ti-85
  • read a history of the Apollo program I found in the school library that was probably 800 pages ... and was written and published before Apollo 11 so it ended with the author hoping we did, in fact, meet President Kennedy's challenge of reaching the moon before the end of the decade
  • create a fake company for business class in 9th grade that was a WWII dog fight re-enactment company named Mustangs and Messerschmitts.
  • take drafting in high school and fall in love with the sharpener that only removed wood and my sandpaper pad. I still use random pieces of sandpaper to sharpen pencils

Guess I better make some crazy odd-rocs to up my street cred

I'm super excited and this thread seems to be the best place to gush about it...

I'm dumping most of my Disney Star Wars books and replacing them with the old Legends material (the pre-Disney expanded universe). Now, I have some of those 20+ year old books that I just pulled out of storage, but I don't actually own a huge amount of them. Most of what I read when I was a kid was borrowed from libraries. I remember the Orange Park library from when I lived in Florida had a dedicated science fiction section, and I would just go there and look through the shelves for Star Wars.

I was looking around on Amazon last night and it turns out that most, if not all, of the Legends novels are, surprisingly to me, still in print, just with that annoying "Legends" banner on them cluttering the cover art. Whatever, I can deal with that.

The most exciting discovery to me was that tons of the Legends comics are in the middle of being reprinted in massive omnibus volumes. Most of these omnibuses have multiple different series in them, but they are all sorted by chronology, making them easy to follow and collect. The Star Wars comics from the 90's and 2000's were unobtainium to me when I was a kid due to the lack of comic shops in my area and the local libraries not really having many comics.

While a lot of the novels will be re-reads for me, I will be reading most of the comics for the first time. The ones I am looking forward to the most are the X-Wing: Rogue Squadron comics, featuring ordinary non-Force sensitive X-Wing pilots as the main characters, and the Dark Empire series, which features Palpatine resurrected in a clone body as the main villain. The events of Dark Empire in particular were referred to quite a few times in novels that took place after it, so it was particularly frustrating not to be able to find and read it. We'll see if the resurrected Palpatine in Dark Empire is executed better than what Disney did in the sequel trilogy. Fingers crossed.

Back