The most beautiful jet fighter ever made

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having flown the T-38, tend to agree.
It is pretty!

6KTPJ9kh.jpg

And variations of the same air frame (T-38, F-5A/B, F5-E/F, F-20). Sleek, efficient, and relatively cheap to own and operate. The F-16 just never appealed to me as a looker.
I work at TUL, see F-16’s day and night from the N’Guard base across the runway - Meh. We see F-5’s from The Sun Downers and other commands on occasion - totally makes my day. On very rare occasions I’ve see a couple of F-15’s, I don’t know if they stop by to remind the Viper drivers what real aircraft look & sound like or maybe they’re just slumming. I do seriously miss the Tomcat D, big & bad, able to loiter for 3-4 hrs with one engine shut down and those wings out loaded with 8 Phoenix missiles. 😢

Last edited:
The Rafale is not a bad fighter, it's just that it really brings nothing new. It's not stealth, it doesn't really have the datalink that the F-22 or F-35.

I'm not a fighter guy, I know we have a few here. I hope they will chime in. The Rafale is not really better than the F-15/F-16/F-18.

I've built 2 1/48 kits of the -106 from that unit. 2 pilots from my company flew them and wanted a model.
It was the old Monogram kit. Not a bad build.

They are lovelies indeed! And you have to love the Genie!

i'm still hooked on the Blue Angels planes
B8CMTwk.jpg

As a navy aviation maintainer, I can say with assurance that underneath all that fancy paint are jets that are barely one step away from the scrap heap. The Blues get non-tactically capable aircraft to use up and throw away. When they get them, they only fulfil the the big three requirements (they'll Aviate, they'll Navigate, and they'll Communicate), but they won't do much else!

As a navy aviation maintainer, I can say with assurance that underneath all that fancy paint are jets that are barely one step away from the scrap heap. The Blues get non-tactically capable aircraft to use up and throw away. When they get them, they only fulfil the the big three requirements (they'll Aviate, they'll Navigate, and they'll Communicate), but they won't do much else!
Didn't they just switch over to the Super Hornet in the last couple of years?

My grandparents worked at Convair/General Dynamics so I always had a soft spot for their jets.

F-102:

CEF31E01-5B12-4560-AAC7-688047C69FE6.jpeg

F-106:

A4DABF8A-FD8C-4348-84DF-AB4FABBDEE0D.jpeg

F-111:

60258331-B0F9-4029-93C1-5FB2BB7770E9.jpeg

F-16:

DA073F86-0F5A-4700-A454-8D2DE812679C.jpeg

Then again, Convair was a strong contender for the “Producer of the ugliest-looking rejects” award.

ZXF-81:

AF1E8784-4CE5-4DF0-939D-41AA5D4D225B.jpeg

XF-92:

586FE931-4E55-4922-9C45-D3AD38462EB1.jpeg

F2Y (later F-7):

A9BF475A-B7A1-4D3A-998A-32A899555EE4.jpeg

Love a good Aardvark pic.

Of note: "When they went to dismantle the fleet of Aardvarks, they encountered a dangerous, potentially deadly hazard in the materials used to build the airframe. The fuselage of the Aardvark was built out of bonded panels, and the adhesive used to bond those panels contained asbestos." *

The RAAF buried the decommissioned airframes for that very reason.

*https://www.wearethemighty.com/migh...-of-its-old-f-111-aardvark-tactical-aircraft/

I would have said the F-111 was one of my favorite planes. But I don't think of it as a fighter. The only time I saw Sidewinders on them was when they went to Saudi for Gulf War 1. The 111 was one of the fastest aircraft we had. In the first Gulf War, other than the F-117, it was the only aircraft we had capable of dropping LGB's IIRC. A lot of the F-117 pilots were former F-111 guys. The Tornado's used the laser designator of the Buccaneer, a British Naval strike aircraft. We have a VHS tape with most of the F-111 drops in Iraq that was prepared for Dick Chaney. With sound it was classified. We have one without audio.

Back