Air Force EF-111 (no guns, no missiles) credited with downing Mirage Fighter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Was looking up famous AFA grads for no good reason, found this story of a pilot and GIB (Guy In Back, aka Weapons System Officer) credited with downing an Iraqi fighter (which was armed with missiles and guns) with their UNARMED EF-111

According to the article, it is the only air to air kill for any version of the F-111

Anyway, I thought it was a good story.

https://tacairnet.com/2013/09/10/unarmed-kill/

Rewind to the early hours of January 17th, 1991, in dark Middle Eastern skies.

You’re flying in a two-seater General Dynamics EF-111 Raven, a heavily modified F-111 Aardvark strike swing-wing bomber. However, unlike the Aardvark, your Raven doesn’t actually possess any attack or strike capabilities. All the freed-up space is crammed with complex electronic warfare gear, designed to fool and jam the search and tracking radars of enemy missile stations. This makes your jet an extremely important asset to battlefield commanders, but also, a very high-priority target for enemy fighters. Miles away at Iraqi airbases and airfields, Mirage and MiG air defense fighters sit ready on the tarmac, armed and fueled up for the inevitable scramble order that will pit them against the incoming Coalition strike force. A number of Iraqi fighters are already airborne, lurking around, scanning for targets of opportunity. Your Raven comes standard with a limited load of chaff and flares, designed to confuse radar-guided and heat-seeking missiles. You can only pop flares and dump chaff so many times until you run out and all that’s left is high-G evasive flying or the striped ejection handles ominously yet reassuringly present in the side-by-side cockpit. Such was the situation Captains James Denton and Brent “Brandini” Brandon found themselves in on that fateful morning as they flew ahead of the opening aerial campaign of the Persian Gulf War. Though they didn’t know it just yet, they were in for a heck of a fight that would mark their names in the aviation history books next to one of the weirdest accomplishments ever credited to military aircrews in modern air combat.

Denton and Brandini, pilot and EWO (electronic warfare officer) respectively, were given the vital task of leading in the Coalition attack flight during the opening hours of the Persian Gulf War. Their mission was to protect the flight from Soviet-export surface-to-air missile emplacements, littered across the terrain below, courtesy of your friendly neighborhood Iraqi military. They flew with the knowledge that they would have fighters, namely F-15 Eagles and F-16 Fighting Falcons, functioning as a “screen” against marauding enemy jets that sought their fiery demise. After entering contested airspace, Denton reduced their Raven’s altitude to a little over 1000 feet, skimming the treeless Middle Eastern desert floor, while Brandon monitored the electronic warfare gear packed into the sleek jet. The group of aircraft they were guarding flew onwards, unable to be tracked and thus engaged by the SAMs below, thanks to the Raven’s efforts. Meanwhile, a USAF F-15C pilot got his eyes on an Iraqi Mirage F1EQ supersonic fighter. He quickly engaged the bogey, giving chase as the Iraqi pilot noticed someone was on his tail and actively trying to mail a missile his way. After twisting and turning, he popped flares and banked away hard, causing the Eagle pilot to lose sight of his quarry for a split second. It was enough to give the Mirage pilot a bit of distance so that he could retreat from the fight. Within moments, his eyes latched onto the low-flying Raven and he turned his nose towards it, throttling up as he tore through the sky to attempt a missile kill of his own.

Completely unaware of the Iraqi F1EQ coming towards them, Denton and Brandini were taken by surprise when the instrumentation in their cockpit lit up and started blaring. They were being painted. Their training immediately kicked in, and Denton went evasive. Right at that very second, the Mirage let loose one of two R.550 Magic air-to-air missiles it was carrying, right at the hapless Raven. While Denton focused on twisting the Raven away from its original flight path, Brandon smoothly operated the countermeasures console, popping flares. The combination of the hard maneuvering and the flares managed to do the trick, and missile, an IR-guided heat-seaker, swerved away, missing the Raven. Undeterred and somewhat annoyed, the Iraqi pilot carried on with his pursuit.

Quickly, once again, he had the unarmed Raven in his HUD. The Mirage shuddered as another Magic AAM left the rails and streaked towards the Raven. Denton was forced to put the Raven into another evasive maneuver, slamming him and Brandon back into their seats, while Brandon released another salvo of flares. It worked. The missile was fooled away from the fleeing Raven. Though the Mirage had exhausted its external stores, they weren’t exactly out of the woods just yet. During the constant stream of radio chatter, word came over from another F-15 pilot who was rapidly closing in for a long-range missile kill on the Mirage. The tell-tale screech of a radar lock began pounding the Iraqi pilot’s eardrums while he flew after the defenseless Raven, now attempting a guns kill on Denton and Brandon. If they didn’t do something fast, they were going to be the recipients of a bunch of 30mm shells, spat out by the twin DEFA cannons of the Mirage.

Denton came up with a plan on the fly, no pun intended. He would bring the Raven extremely low to the ground, and would navigate the dark, low-visibility battlespace using the Terrain Following Radar built into the jet. Easing the stick forward and reducing power, Denton brought the jet closer to the desert floor, and just as they expected, the pursuing Mirage came right with them. Zipping along, swiftly dodging dunes and the general geography of the terrain below with Brandon’s instructions (he was paying attention to the TFR while Denton flew), Denton suddenly yanked on the stick, pulling it back into his chest while simultaneously ramming the throttles forward. This threw the EF-111 into a climb, its powerful Pratt & Whitney TF30 turbofans pushing it to the speed of sound in seconds. This signaled the end of the Mirage pilot’s luck. The deadly mixture of target-fixation and a brief loss of situational awareness, thanks to the darkness outside and the low altitude, proved to be his undoing. He flew hard into the desert, obliterating his aircraft into bits and pieces with the fireball blossoming forward, right underneath Denton and Brandon. The two breathed a sigh of relief. They had somehow just scored the first ever F-111/FB-111/EF-111 air to air kill in its entire service history, and without even firing a shot (not that they could anyways). Their actions and superior airmanship earned both the Distinguished Flying Cross, with numerous witnesses attesting to their bravery and skill as they saw it that January morning.

The EF-111 Raven remained vital to the aerial component of the Gulf War in that day, and every day beyond that it took to the skies. US Air Force Ravens were so successful at keeping surface-to-air missiles at bay, that whenever one was on station during the Gulf War, and subsequently, Operation Southern Watch, absolutely no Coalition aircraft were ever engaged and lost due to SAM action.

66-0016_1.jpg

I used to work *THAT* pig... Chaff and Flare loading. I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford from 1988 to 1990. However, I was outprocessing from the USAF at the time Desert Storm was beginning.

Once we had to put launch rails on an EF-111 and an AIM-9 because some bonehead got it in his skull that a photo of an armed "Sparkvark" would be good. They didn't have the capability to do anything other than display them, as the weapons system that made it capable of launching them had been removed. The pylons on the jet were primarily used to carry TDY pods, and droptanks. Thus, it could have theoretically dropped a dumb iron bomb, but I'm not sure it could have even armed it.

https://www.acc.af.mil/News/Feature...ears-pass-20th-tfw-recalls-desert-storm-role/

I never saw this thread. But for what it was worth, I worked as a crew chief on F-111Es at RAF Upper Heyford from 78 to 80. And F-111Ds at Canon AFB in 81. I loved the USAF, but I left because it was almost impossible to get another assignment once you were an experienced SSGT trained on the F111. (Not my best decision ever as I'd have been retired in 96.

We had EF 111's at Mnt Home Idaho. We went to RAF Lakenheath in '87 and left in 91'. My wife was target intelligence and spent most of the time in the command bunker during the war. I had a job that had me going to every base in England. Went to Upper Heyford many times as well as many other bases. Saw a lot of interesting stuff. I already knew the story. Great stuff.

I'm not a fan of that particular article. It reads like it was written by a non-aviator who writes romance novels as a side-hustle. That said, I don't think this was an Air to Air kill. It was an Air to Gnd kill. That is not to take away from the pilot's ability to maneuver his F-111 and avoid being shot down so he should get credit for that. It is a tactic that is taught in all defensive training at Formal Training Units. Even in the B-52 we had a defensive maneuver that was simply designed to get low, use the terrain / ground clutter and run the other guy out of gas. That tactic also was dangerous for the fleeing aircraft. While you're trying to get the other guy distracted and focusing on not hitting the ground at the same time you are focusing on not hitting the ground. I have been across the Nevada desert at altitudes where you had to climb to turn and I will tell you the pilot's number one focus was not hitting the ground. Not who was chasing him.

So I guess the Libyan AF gets an F-111 kill for downing an aircraft during Operation Eldorado Canyon.

The PK of the ground is 1.

Despite its poor rep. It was a great bomber. We would regularly beat the pants off anything else in bomb comps. It's just once you were a 7 level SSGT on it, you could not get away. ALL I asked for was base of preference to re-up. F15s would be just fine thanks. They said "Nope we need experienced SSGTs on the F-111". I pleaded but you will lose me anyway! Military. Go figure. On the F111 you could get Canon NM, Mountain Goat ID, Pease NH, Plattsburgh NY, RAF Lakenheath, or RAF Upper Heyford. NONE of which (IMNSHO) is worth a poop.

I made SSGT 'below the zone' meaning I was a SGT for about 3 months before getting my rocker. I LIKED being a Crew Chief (Aka, tow operator, panel puller, gas station attendant, SOAP sample puller, EOR inspector). But alas... I did not want to spend my career bouncing around those sucky sites. Foolish I know, NOW.

I liked Mnt Home and Lakenheath. Mtn Home was good if you liked going to the mountains. Liked hunting and fishing. At Lakenheath we saw a lot of history. And I got to go to Scotland. I saw a British open at St Andrews and got to play the Old Course. It was kind of a shock going from England to Las Vegas.

<redacted>

Nonetheless. I found the F-111 basing choices miserable. And of course, apparently many did not. Many people liked Minot ND. Others retired around Ellsworth SD. Or in the deep south's miserable humidity. Heck I'd have preferred ELMENDORF to most of them! :D

AGAIN YMMV. My first assignment was F-106s Phase Docks at Castle AFB California and THAT was fun! I guess I was destine to love California. (Except the water injected KC-135. Holi mole' I think they were louder than twin TF-30s or a J75).

Again YMMV

Last edited:
<redacted>

Nonetheless. I found the F-111 basing choices miserable. And of course, apparently many did not. Many people liked Minot ND. Others retired around Ellsworth SD. Or in the deep south's miserable humidity. Heck I'd have preferred ELMENDORF to most of them! :D

AGAIN YMMV. My first assignment was F-106s Phase Docks at Castle AFB California and THAT was fun! I guess I was destine to love California. (Except the water injected KC-135. Holi mole' I think they were louder than twin TF-30s or a J75).

Again YMMV
"Needs of the Air Force" is a thing. 😆 Castle was an ok base but the overwhelming smell of agriculture could get to you. I lived in Merced and drove to Atwater daily during the time at the FTU. Sometimes the farming scent was strong. The fog sucked too. Sometimes it was; "Hey I'm driving from Merdead to Asswater."

"Needs of the Air Force" is a thing. 😆 Castle was an ok base but the overwhelming smell of agriculture could get to you. I lived in Merced and drove to Atwater daily during the time at the FTU. Sometimes the farming scent was strong. The fog sucked too. Sometimes it was; "Hey I'm driving from Merdead to Asswater."
No where NEAR as bad as Canon AFB. SMELL? I'd rather have breathed pure JP4! :D

Back