The Great eBay Myth - There Are No Deals... Oh Yes There Are!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Rant Warning!
:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

There are deals if you are willing to put in the time, stick to your price, and mind the shipping charges.

Recent deals - Maybe you think otherwise... - note I am INCLUDING shipping

• Sunward Maverick, Liberator, and Moondance $30 shipped (10 bucks a piece)
  • Semroc Orion $29 shipped (#00006 if that matters)
  • Edmonds Twin Thunder, 2 Stage Thunder, Cici, Ecee, Semroc Orbital Transport, Estes Viking, Quest Magnum Payloader, Quest Zenith II, Quest Zenith II, Quest Zenith II (anyone need a Zenith II for the cost of shipping?? :) ) $95 shipped - less than $10 a piece shipped.
  • Semroc SLS Laser-X and Semroc Little Joe II $65 shipped - basically the LJ for free
  • Estes D-Region Tomahawk $23 shipped
  • Zooch Saturn V $15 shipped
  • Zooch Redstone $20 shipped
  • Semroc Mars Lander and Zooch SA-1 $60 shipped

Don't forget, these are the shipped prices. Its not a bargain if shipping makes it too expensive.

Look I understand if you don't have the time, trust, or inclination to get on eBay. Maybe the idea of PayPal makes you shiver. Or laugh. Or maybe you prefer to buy from vendors direct (heck Jon Rocket, Uncle Mike, and Jim Flis know I do that as well!). Fine. But don't run about saying there are no deals on eBay. My wallet says otherwise. :cheers:

Last edited:
Absolutely. You just have to be diligent, set boundaries for yourself and not get emotionally involved. The deals are out there.

Rant Warning!
:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

There are deals if you are willing to put in the time, stick to your price, and mind the shipping charges.

Recent deals - Maybe you think otherwise... - note I am INCLUDING shipping

• Sunward Maverick, Liberator, and Moondance $30 shipped (10 bucks a piece)
  • Semroc Orion $29 shipped (#00006 if that matters)
  • Edmonds Twin Thunder, 2 Stage Thunder, Cici, Ecee, Semroc Orbital Transport, Estes Viking, Quest Magnum Payloader, Quest Zenith II, Quest Zenith II, Quest Zenith II (anyone need a Zenith II for the cost of shipping?? :) ) $95 shipped - less than $10 a piece shipped.
  • Semroc SLS Laser-X and Semroc Little Joe II $65 shipped - basically the LJ for free
  • Estes D-Region Tomahawk $23 shipped
  • Zooch Saturn V $15 shipped
  • Zooch Redstone $20 shipped
  • Semroc Mars Lander and Zooch SA-1 $60 shipped

Don't forget, these are the shipped prices. Its not a bargain if shipping makes it too expensive.

Look I understand if you don't have the time, trust, or inclination to get on eBay. Maybe the idea of PayPal makes you shiver. Or laugh. Or maybe you prefer to buy from vendors direct (heck Jon Rocket, Uncle Mike, and Jim Flis know I do that as well!). Fine. But don't run about saying there are no deals on eBay. My wallet says otherwise. :cheers:

The Big "D" for $23 shipped, DANG!!!!!!!! Nice score.:clap:

What the man said. I've heard a lot of whining about eBay, but we've had great success, not just in buying for good deals, but selling as well. You simply shop at reputable dealers, note the restrictions and shipping, set hard limits and stick to them.

FC

Let the buyer beware.

If you do some research and comparison shopping, sometimes you can snap up some great deals. :cheers:

If you always just charge in and hammer the "Buy It Now" button, you can end up taking a bath. :y:

Just don't get impatient. If you've lived without this rocket (or whatever other item) up to this point, you can probably live without it a little longer if you have to to avoid overpaying out the wazzoo. :eek:

Yes there are deals on ebay, but there are also ripoffs. As was already said, due diligence is necessary. Shop carefully and don't get caught up in the "That's kewl, I gotta have it!" I have bought things that others felt I overpaid, I have only gotten 1 item where I felt I overpaid.

$160 for a THOR (shipped), some think that I over paid, I think I got a way kewl rocket that I had never heard of, and the company who made it is no longer in business. If I can manage to not screw it up while building, even better.

Ebay, hmmmmm.

I USED to do a ton of Ebay dealing - both as a seller and a buyer. In "the old days" it was a fabulous resource. I sold so much stuff I didn't need to own anymore, bought WAY too much stuff I also didn't really need but got great deals on, and even moved a ton of dead overstock for a retail business I managed for a while. I taught my Mom how to sell on it, and she ended up financing a budget trip to Paris pretty much all with selling bits on Ebay. I loved Ebay - was a true believer.

But then they changed. A lot. And quite honestly, the "new" Ebay for the most part sucks. A lot. Especially for sellers.

Because of this I pretty much have done no Ebay dealing for the last couple of years.

But.....

There are still times when it's a useful thing, and right now I'm very pleased with the existence of Ebay (despite all it's hassles):
Why?
Well, I'm the kinda guy that gets FULL use out of my things, and my car is no exception. My car that I've driven for a very long time now has been on it's last legs for a few months. And about 3 weeks ago, just barely shy of 300,000 miles, it finally died for good. I am not in any position to buy a new car ("new" by the way for me means something under $6000, ten years old, and probably having 100K miles on it). So this situation was not good.

So. Over the past few weeks I have been selling just about everything that wasn't nailed down that I could live without. And I've spent a massive amount of time on Ebay (and I'm still doing so).
But the upshot is that in about 2 or 3 weeks I've been able to raise about $5000, and early this week I found the perfect vehicle and I got a smoking deal on it. Merry Xmas to me! I'm now the proud owner of a great "new" car - by a long shot the nicest vehicle I've ever owned.

So, right at this moment, I kinda like Ebay.

even though they still suck. a lot.

s6

Last edited:
I use esnipe in the rare instance I see something I want. Set my maximum adjusted for shipping and then forget about it until I see the email telling me I won or lost.

I started buying/selling on ebay before it went public--my rating is over 1000 now and that's without much activity the last 7+ years. IMO it's a shadow of what it used to be.

--David

It's also a good resource for odd and obscure things. I picked up a "Wunder Boner" today for fifteen bucks - happy.

I like ebay and search there for lots of different things.

I've found that some things have a lot of demand and you can't get deals on ebay, other things can be bought for a fraction of what you would pay for a new item. But yes you do need to know what you're doing and spend some time shopping.

I usually use buy it now sorted on price plus shipping lowest first. If I bid I always use esnipe.

It's a tool like everything else... it's all in how you use it...

Like a chainsaw, it can either be a reliable helper that allows you to do the work a dozen men would take days to do by yourself in a few hours, or it can take your leg off...

Ebay, like everything else in life, is populated by the good, the bad, and the ugly... (and the foolish, the thief, and the benefactors). That's the same whether you're a buyer or a seller... as with life in general. There's plenty of folks looking for "the one born every minute" and more than willing to chisel someone outrageously, and there's other folks selling stuff for prices that seem rediculously low. Such is life...

I've seen the EXACT same kinds of stupidity that seem to afflict so many on Ebay at auctions in real life... I used to go to the farm equipment auctions not too far from here, and the same thing applies... I'd see good stuff go for less than junk-iron price (like a running Oliver combine with a 4 row corn head for $400, or a 6 row fairly modern IH 800 planter in good shape, with electronic monitor, for $600) and I've seen worn out busted JUNK sell for ungodly prices that had to border on insanity... I learned early on that you have to carefully check everything over beforehand, and set your price realistically (what you're willing to pay based on its condition) and then STICK TO IT... (but have enough flexibility to be able to "bid up" to a HARD STOP you've established beforehand in case others are bidding against you, especially on something hard to find or where your "willing to pay" is less than what most other folks are likely willing to pay. BUT you STILL have to have a HARD LIMIT that if the price goes past it, you just walk away, because its entered "silly territory" and just flat out isn't worth it no matter what.) Most people at auctions get into trouble because they get into "peeing matches" with other bidders, so intent on winning they ignore the reality of what they're paying for an item versus its intrinsic worth and condition...

Funny story... I was at an auction one time and picked up a few odds and ends at pretty good prices... did okay. After the auction, I was backed up to the row loading my stuff and a guy backs in and parks next to me and starts loading some stuff he's bought... including a three-point PTO drive seed/fertilizer spreader... his wife was NOT happy and wasn't making any bones about letting the rest of the world know she wasn't happy, either... and she was making DARN SURE HE knew she wasn't happy... I remembered the bidding on that spreader-- it was a basic dinky TSC model, nothing special-- in fact, about as "El Cheapo" as you can get-- TSC doesn't back up ANY of their machinery with parts... so when it breaks, it's pretty much junk... I remember having a discussion with an equipment dealer one time who commented on folks who fussed and whined about the fact that he'd have a "similar" spreader (from a recognized manufacturer) but it'd be priced at least 20% higher or more than the competitive "no name" stuff from TSC and such... Some customers even gloated that they'd got it "so much cheaper" at TSC (or wherever) until one day it broke, and they went to TSC for parts to fix it, only to find out that either 1) they're not available AT ALL, or 2) they'll have to come from China, MAYBE you'll see them in a couple months IF WE CAN GET THEM AT ALL, or 3) if they can get them, they end up costing half or more what the whole machine cost new... This dealer commented he'd had more than one customer come back in after such an experience, humbled, and buy the name brand equipment from him to replace the cheap one they had to junk out for lack of support parts...)

ANYWAY, the woman was unhappy with her husband because he got in a peeing match with some guy over this beat up, half-worn out old el cheapo spreader and ended up paying MORE THAN IT COST NEW AT THE TSC UP THE STREET... :eek: I helped him load the thing-- he knew he'd goofed, it was written all over his face... and he knew that the wife wasn't going to let him live it down any time soon, either, that much was clear... :rant::rant::rant::fly::bangbang::bangpan::bang::duck:

later! OL JR :)

I sell a lot on Ebay to buy rocketry supplies. Much of the stuff I sell goes overseas. So I fill out scores of customs tags. Once in a while an item fails to get there and I end up taking a bath when the customer files a claim. I've gotten into the habit of entering the tracking numbers on those tags now.
My pet peeves are buyers skipping after winning an auction, requests for BIN price--then skipping, requests for items in sizes/colors/styles you don't have, and requests to commit customs fraud. If they have a low feedback score and win, look out! Odds are good that they'll bail on you.
:sad:

Last edited:
I have a boatload going up starting next week.

lots of phoenix nosecones,an >unopened< Estes Maxi Pershing.
V2's of all sizes,maxi honest john's,old estes maxi saturn V.
fat boys,maxi v2's, big daddys..6X canadian arrows.
shipping will be what it costs and prices are up to the bidder.

I have some more special stuff I can put on TRF.

I also have about over 50 TLP kits dating back to the original hang tags (before they said "mid power").

I need to reduce the silo

I have a really BAD habit.

I really abuse MP3 players.

I've put 3 through the laundry, dropped and shattered 3 more, and ran over one. (Ok, it fell out of my pocket when I was working on the car, and I didn't notice.)

I don't go to the store and speed a hundred bucks or more on iPods anymore. I go on EBay and get a nice little 4 gig player for between 15 and 20 bucks.

Its a good deal if you abuse them like me.

eBay is quite different than what it once was. It used to be sort of a lawless bazaar where everything real and counterfeit was hawked. Now, it's more like a "World's Largest Indoor Flea Market" (of which there are about six just here in Central Florida) with the professional sellers crowding out the yard sale people.

Even though it caters more to larger sellers with "stores" now, eBay is still the place to look for rare, out-of-production kits and other unusual things.

I've picked up some cool things. Not really bargains, but cool stuff. I keep a second PayPal account with a small balance of "fun money" to use to pick up rocket kits, ViewMaster reels, or whatever other silly thing I see that I just have to have.

I also use eBay often to pick up a cable or connector at a low price. Often they are shipped directly from Hong Kong and, sometimes, they turn out to be junk. But, most of the time, they work fine and cost a small fraction of what I'd pay elsewhere. I did learn, however, not to buy anything from Hong Kong or China that plugs into a wall socket. It took a couple of days to rid the house of the smoke smell after a plug-in USB charger thingy exploded in our kitchen. :)

We're a "Power Seller" on eBay and have generally had no problems with anyone purchasing our products. Unfortunately, we did have to remove international shipping after a couple of bad experiences. But, problems with eBay or buyers are very rare.

-- Roger

I sell a lot on Ebay to buy rocketry supplies. Much of the stuff I sell goes overseas. So I fill out scores of customs tags. Once in a while an item fails to get there and I end up taking a bath when the customer files a claim. I've gotten into the habit of entering the tracking numbers on those tags now.
My pet peeves are buyers skipping after winning an auction, requests for BIN price--then skipping, requests for items in sizes/colors/styles you don't have, and requests to commit customs fraud. If they have a low feedback score and win, look out! Odds are good that they'll bail on you.
:sad:

I've seen that at the regular farm equipment auction as well... the auctioneer was hawking something, this guy kept bidding, then he'd win, then he'd realize what he paid, and back out... the auctioneer would have to resell the item...

After a few times of this the auctioneer jumped in the middle of him right in front of the whole crowd-- basically told him to knock it off-- ya bid, ya win, ya own it... that or leave...

Later! OL JR :)

I sold much of my collection of original aircraft photos. One buyer would continue to bid and win stuff without paying by the stated deadline and the stated number of items to ship together. Finally, we stopped putting photos up for auction and he had to pay up. He did not leave feedback.

I was also surprised how some customers could change the invoice to reflect a lower shipping charge than requested.
:confused:

Latest posts

Back