The Expanse

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lack of Blu-ray availability of shows really pisses me off too. Life is too short for standard definition, and I've invested significantly in a nice 60"plasma and 7.1 surround system. 640*480 with plain dd stereo sucks.

The show, The Killing, issued the first two seasons on Blu-Ray, but inexplicably issued season three on DVD only. That was a kind of a pisser.

Not like the original cast were very well known way back in season 1 😉

No knowledge of what the deal between SyFy and Amazon looks like but from reading the linked article I’d guess that after season 6 the rights to the original characters revert to SyFy but not the rights to the remaining books - and that’s why a feature length movie is mentioned - Amazon probably retains the character rights for a single-shot, long format production but not for additional seasons of the entity known as “The Expanse”. Lots of changes were made from the original book series - the Drummer character being one of the big ones (Cara Gee rocks as Camina Drummer!) and additional changes in the timeline were made too but as long as the books’ authors Abraham and Franck and the showrunners Hawk and Ostby are involved we’ll keep getting the story they’ve been telling - if that takes new characters and a new cast so be it. The war with Laconia, the fallout from that war and its ultimate conclusion is a story worth seeing unfold on my TV screen 👍
They took a lot of liberties with one character in particular at the end of S5 that is not in the books at all. I heard the actor in question got caught up in the me too thing.

Very good episode - even knowing the basic events and outcome of the battle from the book didn’t kill the suspense. And, truth be told, with a fair amount of space opera I read I end up skimming the battle scenes just to get to the outcome - it’s not easy to write good, detailed space battles and badly written ones are brutal to get through.

Filip’s outcome was done well considering the changes made to the timeline. They obviously are hoping for something beyond the current series with the amount of setup they did with the Laconia stuff - managing to portray Duarte as human but creepy/evil along with showing that Cara, her “brother” and the “strange dogs” are important with as little dialog/screen time as they used was nicely done.

Overall even though having two more episodes would’ve let the story unfold in a less forced way truthfully I’d rather have six good episodes rather than ten with a couple suffering from “Netflix-itis” wheel-spinning filler material masquerading as character development. Hopefully The Expanse creative team will be back with more!

Last edited:
They took a lot of liberties with one character in particular at the end of S5 that is not in the books at all. I heard the actor in question got caught up in the me too thing.

Yeah, they did, but that wasn't the only inconsistency and omission relative to the book's storyline.

Nevertheless, S6E6 was a good and conclusive ending.
If there is to be a future Laconia vs. Universe follow-up series, it has been well tethered to the reveals and hooks from S6.
If not, well, there are still the books for those who are curious.

All good, I enjoyed S6, however brief it was.
Thanks to everyone on this forum for brining my attention to The Expanse series !

a

I finished the final episode last night. This season was great. I wish there could have been more episodes, but it is what it is.

Given what wasn’t wrapped up by the season end, it feels like the production team expects to create more content to cover the last three books. Otherwise, there was no point for the Laconia subplot. I would rather see new seasons than a movie. I’ll take what I can get, though. I still think this is the best sci-fi show ever made, and is probably in my top 5 or 10 favorites ever.

Also, if you haven’t watched the bonus content with the first five episodes, you should check them out. They total maybe about 25 minutes, but they’re provide some nice detail to character development.

Still waiting for season 5 to come out on disk, let alone 6. :mad: I have read books 1-8 so I know roughly what they might do, but it stinks not being able to watch what's out there now (don't have Prime, tried it once for the free month trial, streaming was terrible, gave up in frustration).

Still waiting for season 5 to come out on disk, let alone 6. :mad: I have read books 1-8 so I know roughly what they might do, but it stinks not being able to watch what's out there now (don't have Prime, tried it once for the free month trial, streaming was terrible, gave up in frustration).
Prime streaming works great in general. Have you tried another streaming device?

Prime streaming works great in general. Have you tried another streaming device?

That, plus you have an option to download Prime video content, and then stream it from your device's hard disk with zero buffering or internet access.
That's exactly how I watched S6 E1-5 on a plane.

a

Given what wasn’t wrapped up by the season end, it feels like the production team expects to create more content to cover the last three books. Otherwise, there was no point for the Laconia subplot. I would rather see new seasons than a movie.

Given the time span that the last three books cover, doing it as a series would deliver a much better experience.

I just finished the series last night. While I enjoyed the conclusion immensely, I'm very frustrated that they ended it here. For the record, I haven't read the books and probably won't (I handle "read books first, then watch TV/movie version" well, but it never goes well for me to read a book after I've already got a visual image).

I handle stuff like this on four levels:

1. As an episode, the last one was great. Loved it, very satisfying.
2. As a season finale, it was mostly great, except leaving the Laconia thing hanging. But I wouldn't mind much if there was another season coming.
3. As a series finale, it was lacking. The whole Laconia arc just left hanging (I echo "why bring this stuff up if you aren't doing anything with it?). And (without naming names, for spoilers) the arc about the small ship that detached from the Pella toward the end... this should have been wrapped in the finale as it is left hanging.
4. As a conclusion to the universe, definitely not. I want more, a lot more.

By contrast, when I watched the Daybreak finale of Battlestar Galactica, I was fine with the first three but of course wanted more (and there was more, and apparently may well be more as some BSG universe treatments are working their way through the process and might see light of day). But I was done with the characters and story arcs, though there was plenty more to explore for the universe.

Why do they end successful popular marquee shows like this over budget issues, just to start up crappier things like Wheel of Time that are also big budget?

…Why do they end successful popular marquee shows like this over budget issues, just to start up crappier things like Wheel of Time that are also big budget?

It’s all about subscriber numbers - new content drives numbers up, rising subscriber numbers drive stock prices up, that’s how these streaming services make money without directly selling advertising (along with massive and complex data mining of viewer behavior that they sell to third parties). Having “marque” genre stuff like TWoT, The Expanse, GoT, Foundation, Marvel etc… generates more subscribers (with auto-renew credit card accounts - there’s a substantial number of people who setup their accounts that way and then forget about them 😉) - so into the machine goes your favorite multiple book SF/Fantasy/Horror/Comic franchise out the other side comes a simplified, easy to translate to non-English speaking markets somewhat homogeneous product that generates revenue. Hollywood gotta Hollywood.

4. As a conclusion to the universe, definitely not. I want more, a lot more.

You should be good to just read the last three books if there's no more TV. The conclusion of the books was quite satisfying.

Just a couple of things you need to know to switch from the six seasons of the TV show to the last three books:
-A major death at the end of season 5 doesn't happen in the books; it happened in the TV show entirely because the actor was fired after being accused of doing shady stuff to a woman.
-Drummer in the TV show in seasons 5-6 was Michio Pa in the books. After Season/Book 3, Drummer runs Medina Station.
-The likeable Ashford from the TV show doesn't exist in the books. Ashford was an unsympathetic bad guy in book 3.

You should be good to just read the last three books if there's no more TV. The conclusion of the books was quite satisfying.

Just a couple of things you need to know to switch from the six seasons of the TV show to the last three books:
-A major death at the end of season 5 doesn't happen in the books; it happened in the TV show entirely because the actor was fired after being accused of doing shady stuff to a woman.
-Drummer in the TV show in seasons 5-6 was Michio Pa in the books. After Season/Book 3, Drummer runs Medina Station.
-The likeable Ashford from the TV show doesn't exist in the books. Ashford was an unsympathetic bad guy in book 3.
Thanks for the info. I may give it a try!

And (without naming names, for spoilers) the arc about the small ship that detached from the Pella toward the end... this should have been wrapped in the finale as it is left hanging.
In the books, that’s pretty much how it ends for the character in that ship. You don’t hear about that character again, unless in the last book (which I haven’t read yet), but I doubt it. The key point was what the character typed into the ship.

In the books, that’s pretty much how it ends for the character in that ship. You don’t hear about that character again, unless in the last book (which I haven’t read yet), but I doubt it. The key point was what the character typed into the ship.
If I recall in the book he never makes it back to the ship. He joins a work crew on the station where the bar was and basically walks away from his life.

If I recall in the book he never makes it back to the ship. He joins a work crew on the station where the bar was and basically walks away from his life.

That's right. I half-expected his storyline to merge with that of the main characters before the end of book 9 (Leviathan Falls), but it never did. Authors just forgot about the poor old Filip.
Come to think of it, there were far too many loose ends that never got tied by the end of Book 9. Feel like the authors just rushed to finish the main storyline, and lost interest in interweaving the secondary characters in-and-out of the main plot. I really liked that added character complexity in the first 5 books, but oh well, it is what it is.

Saw this review of the Expanse movie set, and zero-G filming rigs, that someone else might find interesting:

I’m experiencing Expanse withdrawal; no more tv show, no more books, arghhhhhhh! Talk me down from the precipice! On second thought, somebody is bound to cheer me on. Ok, so I might have to either restart listening to the books or rewatch the entire tv series . . . or both.

I’m experiencing Expanse withdrawal; no more tv show, no more books, arghhhhhhh! Talk me down from the precipice! On second thought, somebody is bound to cheer me on. Ok, so I might have to either restart listening to the books or rewatch the entire tv series . . . or both.
I have pretty much the entire run of Stargate SG-1 on DVD that I could send you ;) I promise nothing re: the precipice situation tho :)

Memory's Legion, the Expanse short story collection, is coming out next month. These were previously available only in e-book format and I really appreciate the release of a print edition.

Memory's Legion, the Expanse short story collection, is coming out next month. These were previously available only in e-book format and I really appreciate the release of a print edition.

I have already read “Drive,” and “Butcher of Anderson Station“ online, and all the rest have already been released on Audible . . . listened to them already. The short story, “Memory’s Legion” would be the only new one for me. However, it’s good that you get to enjoy them in print, since the Audible versions are not an option for you.

Any idea as to when seasons five and six will be released on DVD/Blue-ray? Keep checking Amazon, and so far only available as streaming service. Thanks.

Garth Illerbrun
NAR 26894 L2

Back