The Expanse

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed the first episode; great to have this series going again. Just keep me occupied until S2 of Resident Alien starts up. :)

I think we're set up for a good final season, despite the fact that I've always been a bit irritated by Marco Inaros's character and man oh man Filip is a hot mess.

If you read the books,Marco and Filip will get what’s coming to them.

Just turn the volume up, lol. Would bluetooth ear buds help?

Louder doesn't usually help. One of my ears is so damaged that anything it picks up is distorted like an FM radio with bad reception. It doesn't help much to make static louder. The other ear isn't as bad, but turning the volume up only goes so far.

This popped up in my feed because I have searches saved for the Expanse. I have no idea what blog this is, so take it with a grain of salt. It's the only one reporting this news that I can find, and it's claiming it as an exclusive. But supposedly a sequel series and movie will be filmed for Amazon.

https://thathashtagshow.com/2021/12/22/exclusive-the-expanse-sequel-series-movie-amazon/
Considering the time jump between the 6th and 7th book I can see how they could do the story after Babylon’s Ashes with different characters - especially with a movie using the existing series cast to bridge the gap.

I don't see why they just can't age the characters with makeup, etc.

I don't see why they just can't age the characters with makeup, etc.
If the article that Second Row posted earlier is accurate Amazon would have to negotiate with SyFy to continue using the original characters - in Hollywood-speak that means “give SyFy more money”. So yes, practically they could age-up the actors and carry on, but financially it’s more likely to make the change and go from there. As good as the original cast is (in my mind Wes Chatham IS Amos 😊) if it takes a cast/characters change to keep telling the story I’ll take it over ending after the current season.

Hmm... I thought Amazon had bought the show outright from SciFy. Bummer... Sorry, but some no-name actor filling in for the main characters just isn't going to work.

Hmm... I thought Amazon had bought the show outright from SciFy. Bummer... Sorry, but some no-name actor filling in for the main characters just isn't going to work.

Not like the original cast were very well known way back in season 1 😉

No knowledge of what the deal between SyFy and Amazon looks like but from reading the linked article I’d guess that after season 6 the rights to the original characters revert to SyFy but not the rights to the remaining books - and that’s why a feature length movie is mentioned - Amazon probably retains the character rights for a single-shot, long format production but not for additional seasons of the entity known as “The Expanse”. Lots of changes were made from the original book series - the Drummer character being one of the big ones (Cara Gee rocks as Camina Drummer!) and additional changes in the timeline were made too but as long as the books’ authors Abraham and Franck and the showrunners Hawk and Ostby are involved we’ll keep getting the story they’ve been telling - if that takes new characters and a new cast so be it. The war with Laconia, the fallout from that war and its ultimate conclusion is a story worth seeing unfold on my TV screen 👍

Also, I see on Amazon that the collection of various short stories and novellas that were previously only released on kindle will be out on March 15 and will be called Memory’s Legion. 8 stories in all. I haven’t read any of them, but I know that a couple of the stories were incorporated into the show.

I just caught up with episodes 1-5 on a flight. If I recall correctly from the books, there were lots of new and rich characters introduced (belters, privateers, researchers, etc.) in all the books, with their storylines looping back and enriching the main storyline. Somehow, most of those got short-changed in the bare-bones six-episodes only Series 6.
I'll take what I can get out of Amazon, but Series 6 feels like it was shot on a tight budget "just to get it over with".

Considering the time jump between the 6th and 7th book I can see how they could do the story after Babylon’s Ashes with different characters - especially with a movie using the existing series cast to bridge the gap.

Books 7-9 are all set in the far future (3 decades, not to give away too many spoilers), but all the main characters still play a role. With new ones introduced to add color and complexity, as before. I don't think you can loose the main protagonists and remain true to the original story.
Book 9 has just come out. I am not sure how anyone could have negotiated rights to the future content before it was even published.

Interestingly, Series 6 invests a significant amount of screen time to lay out the bridges to the future Books 7-9 by covering "Strange Dogs" novella's storyline. That would have been an utter waste of time if they didn't have plans to bring Books 7-9 to screen, in one form or another.

a

Last edited:
There are new and rich characters introduced in all the books, and all vignettes loop back to the main storyline. Somehow, most of those got short-changed in the bare-bones 6-episodes only Series 6.
I'll take what I can get out of Amazon, but Series 6 feels like it was shot on a tight budget "just to get it over with".

Books 7-9 are all set in far future (not to give away the spoilers), but all the main characters still play a role. I don't think you can loose the main protagonists and remain true to the original story.
Book 9 has just come out. I don't see how anyone could have negotiated rights to the future content before it was published.

Interestingly, Series 6 invests a significant amount of its time by laying out the bridges to the future Books 7-9 content with "Strange Dogs" novella's storyline. That would have been an utter waste of time, if they didn't have plans for shooting Books 7-9, in one form or another.

a
Having not read any of the books, I am baffled by the Laconia business. It does seem like they are laying groundwork for future seasons, but that still doesn't guarantee there will be future seasons.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how they can resolve everything in the last episode, at least not without rushing it like crazy. I'm enjoying it as always, but I agree the whole thing does feel rushed.

Interestingly, Series 6 invests a significant amount of its time by laying out the bridges to the future Books 7-9 content with "Strange Dogs" novella's storyline. That would have been an utter waste of time, if they didn't have plans for shooting Books 7-9, in one form or another.
Could be where the movie comes in - finishing up the storylines from S6. I’m hip to the feelings we all have for the established characters but when it comes to money and Hollywood it’s usually a good bet to go with the money. If, as the linked article implies, Amazon would have to cut a new deal with Comcast/SyFy/NBC/Universal to continue using the current characters in an episodic format then I’d follow the money. If the possible movie finishes up the events in Strange Dogs then covers what happens from Persepolis Rising thru beginning of Tiamat’s Wrath then they continue the story with new characters, done by the same production team, at the same level of production values…well, not ideal but better than no more Expanse on TV.

But if S6 is the end that’s ok I’m really not going get too wound up since as good as the series has been the books and stories are still better 😎

Having not read any of the books, I am baffled by the Laconia business.

As well as you should be. These references were nowhere in the original books 1-6, and really don't belong in this Season 6 storyline. Given how tight the screen time budget is within the six episodes, dedicating good chunks of it to Laconia and "strange dogs" diversions is downright wasteful.
Unless, someone really wanted to lay the bridges to expanding on what is happening in Laconia ... in books 7-9.

It does seem like they are laying groundwork for future seasons, but that still doesn't guarantee there will be future seasons.

True.
And by the looks of it, not on Amazon (who did not even fully fund Season 6).

I'm having a hard time figuring out how they can resolve everything in the last episode, at least not without rushing it like crazy. I'm enjoying it as always, but I agree the whole thing does feel rushed.

They will resolve one key plot line exactly the same way it was handled in chapter 51 of book 6 / "Babylon's Ashes" (one key character will buy the farm, PM me if you have to know more, otherwise, no spoilers).
The rest will remain hanging to be addressed in the next batch of content (with couple more characters getting killed off). In video format - at some future date; in book form (paper or audio) - available now.

Could be where the movie comes in - finishing up the storylines from S6 [...] they continue the story with new characters, done by the same production team, at the same level of production values…well, not ideal but better than no more Expanse on TV.

Could be, but this is a fairly complicated storyline. It took I forgot how many episodes for me to get on top of multiple plot lines and characters in Season 1. I really don't see how that can translate into a simple long-form movie format without 3/4 of the audience walking out.
Plus, without setting up what all the concepts are and how they came to be, the movie will be way too weird: Laconia, ring-gates, protomolecule, etc. It's just way to much to explain in a short intro to a movie without becoming ridiculous.

But if S6 is the end that’s ok I’m really not going get too wound up since as good as the series has been the books and stories are still better 😎

Books are definitely richer.
I did love the visual treat of the first few seasons (on SyFy budget). Then Amazon budget kicked in, and things got tighter.

Perhaps, Netflix will step in and fund the next few seasons?
And the show-runners already know this, and are setting up the hooks for the new payday?
:rabbitdontknow:

HTH,
a

Perhaps, Netflix will step in and fund the next few seasons?

Not likely. Netflix has a rather strict business model of 3 seasons. Apparently, market research shows that, for any new 'blockbuster show' season 1 gets a lot of new viewers, season 2 gets a few new viewers but not enough to make up for the drop outs, season 3 gets no new viewers and has about 25% drop outs over season 1&2, but season 3 seems to hold anyone who stays on for all 3 seasons as they expand into other shows (read=continues to pay money!!!).

Thus, they RARELY ever fund anything past season 3 since it gets no new folks in the door.

Not likely. Netflix has a rather strict business model of 3 seasons. Apparently, market research shows that, for any new 'blockbuster show' season 1 gets a lot of new viewers, season 2 gets a few new viewers but not enough to make up for the drop outs, season 3 gets no new viewers and has about 25% drop outs over season 1&2, but season 3 seems to hold anyone who stays on for all 3 seasons as they expand into other shows (read=continues to pay money!!!).

Thus, they RARELY ever fund anything past season 3 since it gets no new folks in the door.
The business model for streaming services is definitely much different than conventional broadcast or even pay cable TV - even weirder and more labyrinthine than Hollywood movie accounting! Example - how does Netflix know that their generally panned and now canceled live action Cowboy Bebop had a negative impact on their new subscriber numbers? Beats me but evidently it’s something Netflix can measure - or at least thinks they can.

Which is why I have learned the hard way, to research any new series that I am considering watching that I didn't see from the get-go. Did they have a decent resolution of the story line and characters, or did they just cancel it abruptly leaving viewers in the lurch (Stargate Universe in particular)? If they ended it abruptly/unresolved, I don't bother even starting watching a series, as I don't want to invest the time and emotional energy into it, only to be "screwed over" and not get a good ending and resolution.

Which is why I have learned the hard way, to research any new series that I am considering watching that I didn't see from the get-go. Did they have a decent resolution of the story line and characters, or did they just cancel it abruptly leaving viewers in the lurch (Stargate Universe in particular)? If they ended it abruptly/unresolved, I don't bother even starting watching a series, as I don't want to invest the time and emotional energy into it, only to be "screwed over" and not get a good ending and resolution.
Cough... Firefly... Cough.

I'm all in for a model of the Rosinante!!

Would likely to fly in perpetual "flip and burn" mode...

As in - way anti-aerodynamic, and in need of serious aft fins to be stable.
ryan-dening-ext-rocinante-09d-layout.jpg

Last edited:
I'm all in for a model of the Rosinante!!
If you don’t have a problem with using stuff posted on reddit here’s a paper model that could be converted - it’ll need nose weight and some kind of fins (maybe a ring fin version of slide in “flame fins”?).

The business model for streaming services is definitely much different than conventional broadcast or even pay cable TV - even weirder and more labyrinthine than Hollywood movie accounting! Example - how does Netflix know that their generally panned and now canceled live action Cowboy Bebop had a negative impact on their new subscriber numbers? Beats me but evidently it’s something Netflix can measure - or at least thinks they can.
aww, I liked that show. Yeah, I know the animated version is available etc., but I enjoyed the live action version

Cough... Firefly... Cough.
The Stargate Universe cancelling really pissed me off. SyFy has a habit of creating a good show, waiting until you get hooked, and then saying it's too expensive to continue it. How do you get halfway thru the 2nd season before you decide it's too expensive? I'm sure this is old ground I'm covering, I just needed to vent

aww, I liked that show. Yeah, I know the animated version is available etc., but I enjoyed the live action version
I watched the first episode and thought it was ok - pretty much a “generic” SF/action adventure show. Then I watched the first episode of the original anime and understood why fans were so underwhelmed - and I’m far from an anime guy (not a “hater”, I love the look just find the constant soap opera storytelling a bit much though that could be a cultural thing) but the anime Cowboy Bebop is really cool! So it’s on my watch rotation for the winter.

If the article that Second Row posted earlier is accurate Amazon would have to negotiate with SyFy to continue using the original characters - in Hollywood-speak that means “give SyFy more money”.
I purchased the first three seasons of a particular TV show as they became available on ebay.
I then waited for the fourth season to become available and waited and waited and then I waited for the fifth and final season to become available, as well as the fourth.
Eventually I moved on and the years passed with neither the fourth nor fifth seasons being produced on DVD.
I started looking into the whys and what-for as to this and discovered that the producers had bought the rights to use certain songs and music in the show but failed to purchase the rights to reproduce said songs and music and thus couldn't use it on the DVDs of the show.
How does someone do something so stupid?

Last edited:
The Stargate Universe cancelling really pissed me off. SyFy has a habit of creating a good show, waiting until you get hooked, and then saying it's too expensive to continue it. How do you get halfway thru the 2nd season before you decide it's too expensive? I'm sure this is old ground I'm covering, I just needed to vent
SyFy did the same thing with Defiance though it did get three seasons and they managed to give it a pretty decent ending.
Then there was Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles.

Firefly
was a Fox network production.

The show, The Killing, issued the first two seasons on Blu-Ray, but inexplicably issued season three on DVD only. That was a kind of a pisser.

Back