The Avionics Bay Thread...Post your Photos!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSNW

Reaction score
So, I know there are threads about avionics bay. But in my humble opinion, they don't get much love in regards to build threads and the like. We (me included) all like to see the build threads of the rocket with the beautiful paint job and the spectacular lift off shots. I wish there were more build threads on the avionics bay....because they are usually home made and have a lot of the ingenuity and style of the maker. People also are full of cool and new ideas too.

This thread...I hope will "give some love" to the part of the rocket that is critical for its safe return. I used to build bays before I had rockets for them. I learned MOST of what I do by seeing how others built theirs. I would love to see photos of how you all do the smaller bays. I am great at 5.5" down to 2.5" but below that I don't know how you all do it!

So! Please post photos of your avionics bays....BIG and small! We (I) like it all. I will begin by posting photos of my new "4-Banger" for my 4" Mac-Scorpion. I originally had it set up with one altimeter...but I converted to two. I like the "double sided" style. It gives me plenty of room. I also got away from Euro terminals. These "jacks" are easy to keep clean and don't hold grime or get corroded. The bulkheads were painted with High-Temp grill paint.

Looking forward to seeing your creations!
Andrew

I’ll have to post pics later but curious about how you attached the the charge wells. PVC end cap with fillet next to bulkhead? The paint job makes it look like an integrated unit.

I agree with you, AV-bays need more pics and probably deserve their own forum. I really don't care to see more pics of motor mounts and fin fillets!

Here is a 38mm design that I copied from Crazy Jim. Originally, I had a Perfectflite MAWD and a tiny A10 battery. Now, SLCF with a 180mAh LiPo. Screw switch.

20191223_101942.jpg 20191223_101919.jpg

I’ll have to post pics later but curious about how you attached the the charge wells. PVC end cap with fillet next to bulkhead? The paint job makes it look like an integrated unit.

Thanks for the reply....the charge wells are copper end caps that are vigorously sanded on the bottom along with the bulk plate and are firmly glued on with JB-Weld. I then put in the PVC wells (cut tubing) with a notch cut to lay the e-match in. This set up has worked for me for some time.
Thanks!
Andrew

That is a nice set up Buckeye! I am intimidated by trying to do smaller bays. I did a 2 inch one a long time ago and I had a rough time. I lack creativity and need help (with others photos) before I try a double bay in a small rocket. I am sure I need to begin with smaller batteries and maybe a smaller flight computer. Thanks for your post!
Andrew

Pretty bays! I'll post a couple this afternoon, including the Sketchy AV Bay of Doom that I hacked together for a 54mm rocket after it was all built with no coupler.

What do you use for binding posts? I have historically used jumper wires from the altimeters through the end caps. The charge ematches are then twist n taped to the jumpers. That lets me to have as little time as possible with live charges connected up to the altimeters. It's not necessarily rational, but it's how my mentor liked to roll.

Pretty bays! I'll post a couple this afternoon, including the Sketchy AV Bay of Doom that I hacked together for a 54mm rocket after it was all built with no coupler.

What do you use for binding posts? I have historically used jumper wires from the altimeters through the end caps. The charge ematches are then twist n taped to the jumpers. That lets me to have as little time as possible with live charges connected up to the altimeters. It's not necessarily rational, but it's how my mentor liked to roll.

The binding posts were/are from radio shack. I dont know where I could find more. They are great because they are easy to wire up at the field and they are easy to keep clean. I had a hard time keeping the Euro terminals clean and corrosion free....among other issues I had.

Can you post a photo of what you described in your post?
Andrew

AV Bays.jpg

Here's my two that are easy to get to. The upper one is for my square rocket. Eggtimer Classic hard mounted, and a Quantum can go to the left. 3/4" copper pipe caps plus a little pipe for the charge wells. I also have some thin-ish wall aluminum tube to act as standoffs since the plywood I was using for my sled wasn't quite as long as the bay.

The lower one has my Quantum installed. this is for my L1 rocket, a fun little 54mm job. Unfortunately, when I was building it I glued the coupler into the upper payload bay, never planning on using electronics in it. This is the solution--with a plywood sled epoxied to a cut away coupler so I can connect the charge directly to the altimeter terminals. I pull the nose cone off of the payload bay, drop this in with the left side toward the coupler after feeding the ematch wires from the ejection charge up through the payload bay. The charge gets dropped on top of the motor, then dog barf then the chute, and the AV bay is secured with a single wood screw going into the back of the bay. Like I said, it's a little sketchy, but it gets the job done.

This is the av bay I use in my 4" FG rockets. It fits both my Xcelerator and my Level 3 Drago XL.

Stratologger SL100 primary and RRC2 backup.

I usually use Duracells. I had to pop in an Energizer because the RRC2 battery got low and it was the only 9V I had handy.

20191013_133343.jpg

This is the av bay I use in my 4" FG rockets. It fits both my Xcelerator and my Level 3 Drago XL.

Stratologger SL100 primary and RRC2 backup.

I usually use Duracells. I had to pop in an Energizer because the RRC2 battery got low and it was the only 9V I had handy.

View attachment 401597

I like the way you are holding the batteries. I never thought to simply cut some "L" channel stock. Very cool....this method means I can put them closer together....or maybe bind both one cable tie?

Love the photos guys! Merry Christmas!
Andrew

View attachment 401569

Here's my two that are easy to get to. The upper one is for my square rocket. Eggtimer Classic hard mounted, and a Quantum can go to the left. 3/4" copper pipe caps plus a little pipe for the charge wells. I also have some thin-ish wall aluminum tube to act as standoffs since the plywood I was using for my sled wasn't quite as long as the bay.

The lower one has my Quantum installed. this is for my L1 rocket, a fun little 54mm job. Unfortunately, when I was building it I glued the coupler into the upper payload bay, never planning on using electronics in it. This is the solution--with a plywood sled epoxied to a cut away coupler so I can connect the charge directly to the altimeter terminals. I pull the nose cone off of the payload bay, drop this in with the left side toward the coupler after feeding the ematch wires from the ejection charge up through the payload bay. The charge gets dropped on top of the motor, then dog barf then the chute, and the AV bay is secured with a single wood screw going into the back of the bay. Like I said, it's a little sketchy, but it gets the job done.

Cool! I have to see a photo of your square rocket! I see you are using other batteries than a standard 9v. What kind and what specs? It seems like this style would save me some space. I guess I thought they were primarily for trackers and for planes etc.
Merry Christmas!

Cool! I have to see a photo of your square rocket! I see you are using other batteries than a standard 9v. What kind and what specs? It seems like this style would save me some space. I guess I thought they were primarily for trackers and for planes etc.
Merry Christmas!

Thank you! My build thread for the square rocket is here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/dimetrodon-a-square-rocket-that-doesnt-quite-fit-in.137885/

I use LiPo batteries for all of my altimeters, mainly so I have something rechargeable and I don't go through as many 9v. I'm pretty much standardized on a 2s 300mAh 30C battery for all of my altimeters. My nearest hobby shop carries the Venom brand, so that's what I use.

Mike....
THAT is pretty slick. I like where you put your switches...I never thought of that. I have never made a dual altimeter bay in anything smaller than a 4" rocket. I remember the Forte' is a 3" rocket.....very cool.

Thanks for posting your photos. I hope more folks do the same. It is a great way to share ideas. Happy New Year to you as well.
Andrew

BTW....I love those Missile Works screw switches. It it all I use. Very robust. I have never had problems with the screws coming out. I just transport the bay with the screw facing up.
Andrew

Andrew-please find my 3D printed 75 mm altimeter sled for a 3 inch Wildman Dark Star below. A rotatable port was constructed in the bay wall to easily acquire access to the screw switches and to see the MARSA 54 LCD. The sled is a "sandwich" design with the lipos positioned between the sled layers.

Fred, L2
ICBM, Camden, S.C.
KG4YGP

upload_2019-12-30_19-44-22.png

upload_2019-12-30_19-45-52.png

upload_2019-12-30_19-47-30.png

upload_2019-12-30_19-48-31.png

upload_2019-12-30_19-49-47.png

Wowzers.....this blows me away! So many hints and ideas here. VERY cool Fred! Thanks for posting!
Andrew

John
You have to show how this mounts in the rockets. Is it a head-end dual set up?
Very cool and interesting!
Andrew

John
You have to show how this mounts in the rockets. Is it a head-end dual set up?
I don't have a picture handy, but it mounts through the forward CR and fits between the MMT and airframe tube.

The bay is set up for conventional aft-end sustainer ignition plus recovery, but using one of the RCS head-end igniters is also a possibility. You can see how it fits into the side of the rocket in the drawing below.booster-detail.png

Last edited:
Andrew-please find my 3D printed 75 mm altimeter sled for a 3 inch Wildman Dark Star below. A rotatable port was constructed in the bay wall to easily acquire access to the screw switches and to see the MARSA 54 LCD. The sled is a "sandwich" design with the lipos positioned between the sled layers.

Fred, L2
ICBM, Camden, S.C.
KG4YGP

View attachment 402237

View attachment 402240

View attachment 402241

View attachment 402242

View attachment 402243

This one looks familiar to me...;)

One of our club members, R. Dickenson came up with this design to make a Star Orbiter dual deploy. If I remember right he worked with Randy Bodeway at Erockets for the parts.
IMG_1.jpg IMG_2.jpg IMG_3.jpg

One of our club members, R. Dickenson came up with this design to make a Star Orbiter dual deploy. If I remember right he worked with Randy Bodeway at Erockets for the parts.
View attachment 402320 View attachment 402321 View attachment 402322

Nice use of laser cutter! Are the several vertical planks in the lower unit (pictured to the right) used to hold the lipos? 2nd altimeter? or GPS? I suspect the lipos, since the space available behind the upper section single plank appears to provide less room and I suspect the altimeter(s) would be mounted on the front. Again, nice design/construction of laser cut parts.

Back