The Avionics Bay Thread...Post your Photos!

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by BSNW, Dec 22, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Jan 14, 2020 #61

QFactor

QFactor

QFactor

I like that hexagonal design. I have the 3" Punisher kit which is designed for the HED setup. And I would like to get two flight computers and a GPS unit in the coupler sleeve. Where are the batteries located? How are they mounted?

2. Jan 22, 2020 #62

wsume99

wsume99

wsume99

I'm reading this thread because I'm researching the exact same thing you are trying to do. My next HP build is a 3" Punisher and I want full redundancy plus GPS tracking all inside the coupler. This thread has been awesome to help me learn.

3. Jan 22, 2020 #63

mpitfield

mpitfield

mpitfield

Moderator Staff Member TRF Lifetime Supporter Global Mod

I think you are asking me about my 4" BlackFly HED AV bay hexagonal sled. Three batteries are mounted on the sled, indicated as white rectangles in picture three. These are relatively thin Polymer Lithium-Ion batteries with a nominal 3.7V at 850mAh or 900mAh, and designed for the specific AltusMetrum products. In the third picture, you can clearly see one on the right, and the other two are not in view, but, you can envision the surfaces they mount to by eliminating the two altimeters (blue) and one TeleGPS (brown).

Below are two pictures that were taken from a previous version of the BlackFly hexagonal sled. This version was replaced with the white one that included integrated wiring for the switches and one of the JST battery connectors, which can be seen in the top left of the fifth and last pictures. I also adjusted the placement of the holes for the cable ties to relieve some tension on the batteries, and I removed the antenna straw rubber cap and filled the end with epoxy.

BFAVBaySled5.jpg BFAVBaySled6.jpg BFAVBaySled7.jpg

BTW I designed a completely different sled for a 3" HED Punisher. I may have some completed pics to post, for now I grabbed some screenshots of it from my TinkerCAD files. It used four larger 2S LiPos and three devices, an Eggfinder Mini Tracker, the Eggfinder Proton with a separate battery dedicated to the Pyro channels and the StratoLogger 100. The switches were initially two mini screw switches and two magnetic switches. This sled was printed, assembled, tested and the rocket was launched once, then the sled was torn apart because I didn't like how the sled and tracker antenna were mounted. I also decided to use bulkhead mounted terminal blocks instead of pass-through holes for the e-matches. Based on the circuitry for the Proton, the second magnetic switch to power on the pyro channels was not necessary, so the revision will only have three switches.

3" Punisher Orignal Sled Proton Side.jpg 3" Punisher Orignal Sled SL100 Battery Side.jpg
    3" Punisher Orignal Sled SL100 Side.jpg 3" Punisher Orignal Sled Tracker Side.jpg

4. Jan 22, 2020 #64

QFactor

QFactor

QFactor

Thank you Michael for the photos and renderings. All I can say is your design is ingenious. I'm not a 3D-printer person yet - but I have family that create items for me at times. Your AV module, "sled" is too crude to describe your design, appears to have refined (smooth) surfaces and not the rough surfaces I usually see. Is that because of the material, the printing programs, or the printer make (design) ? And is your module design available for tinkering with? I have some of the same electronics and batteries, but others would require some minor changes to your AV module. And then of course I could use your design as an excuse to purchase some new electronics. Martin Q.

5. Jan 22, 2020 #65

BSNW

BSNW

BSNW

All I can say is that is AMAZING. All this stuff is amazing. I too am learning so much and getting new ideas. This is too cool. I wish I had a 3D printer....All I can do is hope that somebody will design and sell the hexagon sled set-up. Wow....I am blown away by all these different designs....did I say I am amazed?
    Andrew

Mugs914 likes this.
  6. Jan 22, 2020 #66

Mugs914

Mugs914

Mugs914

"Get sumthin real nice for yourself too, Clark..."

I agree Andrew, some real creativity out there! I've got my bandanna up around my face and I'm fixin' to steal a whole bunch of ideas!

This was a great idea for a thread, thanks for getting it started...

7. Jan 22, 2020 #67

BSNW

BSNW

BSNW

Thank you for you kind words Mike- :)
    I too am getting out my ruler, taking measurements and taking lots of notes..........HA!
    wow...

8. Jan 22, 2020 #68

mpitfield

mpitfield

mpitfield

I have two Prusa MK3S printers, or I should say 1.9 as the second needs some parts. The Prusa is arguably one of the better FDM printers on the market, but it is also one of the more expensive consumer grade printers. If you want to know more then hit up the 3D Printer section https://www.rocketryforum.com/forums/3-d-printing-and-related-topics.190/ Chuck has a lot more hands on with different manufactures and models, so he is a good resource to ask about value.

The print just looks smooth due to my bad photography abilities. It is smoothish, but that depends more on the resolution of the printer, assuming you have it dialed in, and choice of filament. I used .2 resolution, three perimeters, and PETG. I prefer PETG over PLA, although some have issues printing PETG, so it's not for everyone, but that may have more to do with the quality of PETG.

I am happy to create a copy of any of my designs and send you a PM link to the design in TInkerCAD. You will need an account and to log in, once logged in you can copy and paste the project to a new project in your projects, and then you can mess around with it at your discretion. Just send me a PM if anyone is interested.

g.pitts likes this.
  9. Jan 22, 2020 #69

tollyman

tollyman

tollyman

I have a design set up to put an eggtimer quark and eggfinder mini gps in a 38mm nosecone for my Wildman darkstar Jr. 3D printed sled and will use push toggle switches to activate the altimiter. Will post pictures when I get the design printed out and assembled.
    SmartSelect_20200122-125908_Slack.jpeg

curtisheisey and QFactor like this.
  10. Jan 23, 2020 #70

g.pitts

g.pitts

g.pitts

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

A bit more progress. I have the altimeters built and wired up, and have mounted the Eggfinder TX. Got the antenna support pretty close (by luck!). Planning to put 1/32" adhesive-backed foam on the support and securing the antenna with a couple of zip ties. Altimeters will be secured by nylon fasteners, not the stainless ones used just for this photo.
    IMG_3687.jpg

Closer view of the Eggtimer Quantum stickers. Anyone recognize the font I used? :D

IMG_3688.jpg

11. Jan 24, 2020 #71

mpitfield

mpitfield

mpitfield

Very nice, clean layout. You are inspiring me to take a shot at designing my first distribution board.

g.pitts likes this.
  12. Jan 25, 2020 #72

wsume99

wsume99

wsume99

Definitely interested in seeing pics of your 3" Punisher sled if you have any. I have a 3D printer so I was already planning on using it for this project. Still capturing ideas. I already have an Eggtimer classic and would add an Eggtimer mini tracker and StratoLoggerCF and three (possibly 4) LiPos. The hexagonal design is appealing since I am planning to run a single all thread down the middle of the AV bay. I am assuming you have the switches aligned with your vent holes on your switch band?

13. Feb 8, 2020 #73

g.pitts

g.pitts

g.pitts

I received some good constructive feedback from a couple of forum members, so I've made a change to my electronics bay configuration. Eggfinder TX tracker is now in the nosecone on its own printed sled, and the electronics bay sled holds only the two Quantum altimeters as shown below. I added switches that can be used to select "always on" or on when the switch lever is not depressed (strapping option - no strapping has been installed yet). Given the new Tripoli rule, I suspect that "always on" mode won't be used. There will be a 3D printed cover mounted by the four center screws which will serve to guide a small metal rod to "safe" the rocket and to prevent anything that may come loose during flight from inadvertently hitting the switch lever and power-cycling one or both of the altimeters.

IMG_3703.jpg IMG_3704.jpg

mpitfield likes this.
  14. Feb 8, 2020 #74

Viperfixr

Viperfixr

Viperfixr

Born Again Rocketeer TRF Supporter

Where does that center, purple board that consolidates the charges come from?

15. Feb 8, 2020 #75

g.pitts

g.pitts

g.pitts

It is a printed circuit board that I designed, and had fabricated through OSH Park.

16. Feb 10, 2020 #76

spigalau

spigalau

spigalau

Looking great.

g.pitts likes this.
  17. Feb 29, 2020 #77

kbRocket

kbRocket

kbRocket

I have put redundant dual-deploy with tracking into a 29 mm Av Bay. Three Electronics Bays
    The trick was eliminating the threaded rods and using a sufficiently stiff sled/backplane.

A long time ago I did fit an RRC3 and an Easy Mini into a traditional 38 mm Madcow electronics bay with threaded rod, so I know it's possible. I wouldn't do it that way any more.

18. Mar 13, 2020 #78

Rocketbegg

Rocketbegg

Rocketbegg

This caps with eletronics components stay inside the rocket all time?