Thanks for all the political snailmail I've received! ;-)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you Republicans, Democrats, Independents, and all other parties and divisions!

Much of the last-minute mail you've sent is on lovely heavy cardstock. It's great for building up the thickness of inside tubes! It can be stacked and glued for centering rings and struts! It can be rolled and slid inside a thin tube to stiffen it for cutting! Or roll and tape it around a tube for an easy-to-follow cutting guide!

I now have dozens of pieces of this stuff; I'll never run out! Thank you, thank you!

:D

For anyone who doesn't need to add to your collection of heavy cardstock, you can reduce the quantity of mail you receive by voting early. It is generally public record that you have voted (not how you voted, or even if you filled in a ballot). Campaigns that care about how much money they're spending (ie pretty much all of them) will get updated have-voted lists and strike those addresses from their mailing lists.

You can also reduce the number of phone calls you get by returning a ballot (even a blank one) in every election. Most of the get out the vote calls/texts only go to people who don't always vote. the premise is that if you've voted in every election in the last 4 years, you will probably vote in this one too so there;s no need to remind you.

You can also reduce the number of phone calls you get by returning a ballot (even a blank one) in every election. Most of the get out the vote calls/texts only go to people who don't always vote. the premise is that if you've voted in every election in the last 4 years, you will probably vote in this one too so there;s no need to remind you.
GAK! I can only imagine how many calls folks get who aren't regular voters. :mad: These days we almost never answer the land line, and my iPhone, happily, won't let numbers that aren't in my address book ring through. That's my favorite feature from iOS 13 (I think it was).

Sorry for the thread drift, Terry.

Much of the last-minute mail you've sent is on lovely heavy cardstock
I've received a lot of it too and I had the same idea. I wondered how well it would work since so much of it has a very slick surface. Will Titebond stick to it well? Will normal spray primer stick to it?

The stuff I've been getting is worthless. I've been trying to make ejection charge tubes by wrapping scrap cardboard around a dowel. The political postcards don't work, the cardboard and ink just don't work. On top of this, the recycling company doesn't want them either.

I wonder if the metal frame in the yard ones would make decent launch rods. Seems a waste to throw all those away after the election.

Warning: Please avoid skating on the third rail. You are ok now, but naming parties or candidates will go over the line.

The Post Office should raise the rate on junk mail so that it costs the same as 1st class. I think that would greatly drop the volume of wasted paper...
Bulk rate presort (crap-mail) actually subsidizes real first class mail. Without the volume of junk mail in the system, the whole system would kind of fall apart due to lack of volume. Cost to mail a letter would be obscene.

If you fly RC and build coroplast airplanes, on Nov 9th, all the campaign signs become free construction material. It's a crime to remove them before the election, but afterward, they're fair game.

Air core.

We used to call it air core. Tough stuff. We made some high wing trainers with it. Free is nice to. Shame that we were procuring it legally. ''Stealing'' it after elections was part of the fun.

If you fly RC and build coroplast airplanes, on Nov 9th, all the campaign signs become free construction material. It's a crime to remove them before the election, but afterward, they're fair game.
At least out here, virtually all campaign signs are illegally placed, so they're fair game before the election too. Nobody really bothers too much about it, as long as the campaigns clean up after themselves.

I checked a few years ago and couldn't find any glue that stuck to the air core stuff. Otherwise, I'd have a rocket from my school board campaign.

At least out here, virtually all campaign signs are illegally placed, so they're fair game before the election too. Nobody really bothers too much about it, as long as the campaigns clean up after themselves.

I checked a few years ago and couldn't find any glue that stuck to the air core stuff. Otherwise, I'd have a rocket from my school board campaign.
The site I posted has a method to make it glue-able. requires a fine touch and Benz-o-matic torch!

For those who may have gotten their sense of humor shot off in some middle-Earth war ;) , I don't know how well the stuff works when glued up for centering rings and such. I don't actually use it for that. 'twas tongue-in-cheek. But seriously, it's great for wrapping around a tube to provide a thick, hard-to-deviate-from cutting guide. Likewise it's great when you want to stiffen a tube internally for cutting and don't have a coupler (or don't want to scar up your only coupler).

For those who may have gotten their sense of humor shot off in some middle-Earth war ;) , I don't know how well the stuff works when glued up for centering rings and such. I don't actually use it for that. 'twas tongue-in-cheek. But seriously, it's great for wrapping around a tube to provide a thick, hard-to-deviate-from cutting guide. Likewise it's great when you want to stiffen a tube internally for cutting and don't have a coupler (or don't want to scar up your only coupler).
Should be adequate for LPR centering rings.

I'll be glad when Tuesday has come and gone. I'm getting flooded now with political spam phone calls and texts. There are more blocked phone numbers now than contacts. And I can't upcycle them into centering rings (they're all *far* from center).

I did my part in paper generation today, dropping off flyers at about 100 addresses. Note that those who had voted already didn’t get a flyer.

Back