sweet summer time

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what would you do this summer?

• get a job/internship

• lay back and do nothing

• excersise and get into good shape

• begin aother hobby

• study ahead for difficult classes next year

• finally ask out that girl I've had a crush on all year

Results are only viewable after voting.

skybuster

Reaction score
hey all!

It's been a long time since I logged on, was surprised to see the new design of the forum! Anyways, the past few months have kept me really busy in school since its all beginning to wrap up. Had four AP exams last week and now I have one class left to go to. Just have 3 days left, and farewell to high school. Anyways, summer is beginnig, and I'm wondering what all you guys would do during it, or what you did the summer before college/after senior year. I have a poll, you can chose as many as you want. These are just a few of my ideas, if you have anymore, feel free to submit them!

And yes, I shall be building many rockets this summer too!

Last edited:
Hmmm, there is no option for building rockets! :confused2:
I will be quite busy with that, as I have 14 of the 18" BT-55 tubes, and I plan on building some 3" diameter birds to fly on F39 reloads when I get a 24/40 case. :fly:

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
JL

Hmmm, there is no option for building rockets! :confused2:
I will be quite busy with that, as I have 14 of the 18" BT-55 tubes, and I plan on building some 3" diameter birds to fly on F39 reloads when I get a 24/40 case. :fly:

Many shall be built! That's how I passed my time last summer, and is something I want to do again so I can take advantage of the free time

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
JL

So true. I'm trying to keep my plans veague so that if something does occur, I should be able to plan around it....then agaon life happens

How old are you???

When you get to my age my summertime list is this..

Get up go to work...again.

Come home to a house full of whiny kids that want something from me.

Try not to kill all of those kids..

ASk for a nice piece of steak for dinner on the BBQ, have hamburger helper because thats what we have..

Wait for the friggin weekend.

On the weekend spend all of my time taking the kids to do what they need and want to do.

After running around doing their stuff. come home MAYBE have a cold been and try to watch a movie.. but you get interrupted many times with kids calling and asking you to do stuff for them,
like DAD my computer isn't working,,, dad I want to go on a date with so and so dad can we go take the boat out?? dad I dont want to mow the lawn..

then there is the honeydo list... fix the leaky sink, mow the lawn, or fix the sprinklers the kids rn over when they mowed the lawn. clean the pool and filter so the kids can go swim

Take the kids out to eat because they are tired of eating at home (when you KNOW you wish you could just spend one night at home without going out and spending money)

Try to work on your rockets in the shop... yell and scream when you can't find you tools because someone used your channel locks to crush soda cans for their school project. and your drill is nowhere to be found, and half your wenches are gone... then you spend two hours looking for them or chasing down the kids to find out where they left them.. when you realize they used you $100 pair of scissors to cut the dogs hair because he looked hot then used them as a dart for the dartboard because they lost all of theirs..

then sunday night you are so tired you just want to sleep but someone gets a cold or eats something bad from Mcdonalds and the whole crew is up all night puking... you fianlly get to sleep at 3 am just to hear the alarm go off right when your dream takes you to the bahamas...

Damn I am getting old and crotchety arent I ??!!?!?!

I'm retired so my list of options is different from what you young'uns would do.

• Get up early to avoid the late day heat
  • Build rockets
  • Paint rockets
  • Ground test rockets
  • Drink beer.

I vote all of the above

How old are you???

ASk for a nice piece of steak for dinner on the BBQ, have hamburger helper because thats what we have..

On the weekend spend all of my time taking the kids to do what they need and want to do.

After running around doing their stuff. come home MAYBE have a cold been and try to watch a movie.. but you get interrupted many times with kids calling and asking you to do stuff for them,
like DAD my computer isn't working,,, dad I want to go on a date with so and so dad can we go take the boat out?? dad I dont want to mow the lawn..

then there is the honeydo list... fix the leaky sink, mow the lawn, or fix the sprinklers the kids rn over when they mowed the lawn. clean the pool and filter so the kids can go swim

Take the kids out to eat because they are tired of eating at home (when you KNOW you wish you could just spend one night at home without going out and spending money)

Try to work on your rockets in the shop... yell and scream when you can't find you tools because someone used your channel locks to crush soda cans for their school project. and your drill is nowhere to be found, and half your wenches are gone... then you spend two hours looking for them or chasing down the kids to find out where they left them.. when you realize they used you $100 pair of scissors to cut the dogs hair because he looked hot then used them as a dart for the dartboard because they lost all of theirs..

then sunday night you are so tired you just want to sleep but someone gets a cold or eats something bad from Mcdonalds and the whole crew is up all night puking... you fianlly get to sleep at 3 am just to hear the alarm go off right when your dream takes you to the bahamas...

Amen, Mark.

get a job/internship? Nope, got a job, hopefully for another year and a half when I can retire.

lay back and do nothing? I could do that, for about 10 minutes.

excersise and get into good shape? This is what I really need to do after my winter laziness.

begin aother hobby? Nope, too many unfinished rockets to finish.

study ahead for difficult classes next year? Eh, sonny?

finally ask out that girl I've had a crush on all year? Yeah, my wife would really appreciate that!

Wifey's going to be busy during the summer with the ARC program, preparing for her state certification so she can teach Mandarin in the public school system. Stepdaughter's going to intern at Merck & Co. in NJ while studying ahead for her 2nd semester at MIT. Me, I'm going to mow the lawn...over and over again.

Last edited:
Enjoy your summer -- you're coming close to the point in your life where summers aren't "free" anymore.

For me, summer is just a continuation of the rest of the year, except that I get to spend more time hanging out with rocket buddies at launches, which is always a good thing!

-Kevin

Amen, Mark.

get a job/internship? Nope, got a job, hopefully for another year and a half when I can retire.

excersise and get into good shape? This is what I really need to do after my winter laziness.

finally ask out that girl I've had a crush on all year? Yeah, my wife would really appreciate that!

Wifey's going to be busy during the summer with the ARC program, preparing for her state sertification so she can teach Mandarin in the public school system. Stepdaughter's going to intern at Merck & Co. in NJ while studying ahead for her 2nd semester at MIT. Me, I'm going to mow the lawn...over and over again.

Enjoy your summer -- you're coming close to the point in your life where summers aren't "free" anymore.

For me, summer is just a continuation of the rest of the year, except that I get to spend more time hanging out with rocket buddies at launches, which is always a good thing!

-Kevin

Amazing what your view of "SUMMER" is when you are young and when you get old..

Kevin has it right... enjoy it while you can!!

Summer means hot, humid and miserable. I'm not fan.

Exception: The last two weeks of August during the duldrums when the Tarpon cruise the piers and snatch live baits fished on top. Now thats fun!

Summer here in Arizona is HOT vs. Winter, Fall and Spring when it's just warm. The launch season is over for us until September, when hopefully it will only be warm agian....
I have several indoor projects for the next several months, including repairing and modifying my current fleet of rockets, supervising my wife doing the same, building a couple of new rockets, and helping Sharon build several she has on the build shelf. Painting all the rockets we have repaired and built, along with a fresh paint job on the Jeep. I already asked the girl I have a crush on, and she has been going out with me for the last thirty years. Don't put this off! Think of all the fun you could be having RIGHT NOW!
IMG_1580.jpg

How old are you???

I'm 18! Nah, age is just a matter of prespective, and sounds like my dad when he talks about "how it all changes", gotta enjoy the time while I still have it!

Wifey's going to be busy during the summer with the ARC program, preparing for her state certification so she can teach Mandarin in the public school system. Stepdaughter's going to intern at Merck & Co. in NJ while studying ahead for her 2nd semester at MIT. Me, I'm going to mow the lawn...over and over again.

MIT!!?!?!??!?!?!??! congrats to her!

Summer here in Arizona is HOT vs. Winter, Fall and Spring when it's just warm. The launch season is over for us until September, when hopefully it will only be warm agian....
I have several indoor projects for the next several months, including repairing and modifying my current fleet of rockets, supervising my wife doing the same, building a couple of new rockets, and helping Sharon build several she has on the build shelf. Painting all the rockets we have repaired and built, along with a fresh paint job on the Jeep. I already asked the girl I have a crush on, and she has been going out with me for the last thirty years. Don't put this off! Think of all the fun you could be having RIGHT NOW!
IMG_1580.jpg

AWESOME JEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My dad and I are going to try and do some four wheeling in the Rubicon on the weekends. that's the oly car I'll drive stick on, course I have no car and no license, so beggars can't be choosers!

My son is just finishing up his freshman year at college. He took many AP classes in high school and graduated with honors. Due to this, he received a 4 year scholarship and because of the connections he got thru his efforts in his schools robotics club, he was able to get a summer job doing autocad drawings at local engineering company. He now a summer job he can go back to on a yearly basis and an in for a full time job after graduation if he wants. The money he makes allow him to get thru the school year and allowed him to get set up for college life.

Thanks for all the replies. This last week has been great, I don't know if it's bad to say that it's been my favorite week of high-school, but it's been nice. Have had Def Leppard guiding the way with "Photograph" in my head during the day with my friends, and "Hysteria" in my heart with my crush. Have an update on her by the way, last night we had our senior awards (I got 6 honors cords), and when I got home, it was around 9pm, when my phone begins to vibrate, and guess who called me? Yes, her! She asked me if I wanted to hang out with her and some of her friends, but since I was home and have no means of transportation, I had to decline. However, we're going to try and do something this summer. (my friends told me now I'm in the position to ask her out to do things).

Thanks for the votes, you all have helped prioritize things: so far, looking for a job, if I can't get one, I'll get certified to work at a bar (legal age to serve in Colorado is 18). And yes, I'm definitely going to try and ask out aforementioned girl, and I may have to ask for some help there as I have never had a girlfriend before. I have a boatload of friends going to college away from the Denver area, but remaining in state, (she's one of them, and yes, I'll make a distance relationship work if I can get one going in the first place) and we're planning on hanging out and working out. That kinda kills two birds with one stone. As for studying, if anything, I'll just try and get a jump on calculus since math is my weakest subject and my friends can help me out, then the real course would be like a refresher.

Anyways, graduation is this upcoming week, have to be there before 6:30 in the morning.....not a prime time for teenagers. Prom is tomorrow, I will not be going, and will be chatting with friends who went to different high-schools instead.

thanks again!

My summer plans are no different from my spring, fall or winter plans. Get a job? Yeah, I wish. Hasn't happened in over three years, but sure, yeah, it could happen. :rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone! I have a delicate question, I think. So, I I'm putting in for some jobs, but I really want to get that girl. Luckily, I get to meet with her at school on Monday to sign her yearbook. Just looking for some advice, what's a good way to break a confession of a crush/ ask a girl out? I've never been in a relationship, and don't really want to make the first time I tell a girl I like her end in catastrophic failure. Thanks for any advice!

Thanks again everyone! I have a delicate question, I think. So, I I'm putting in for some jobs, but I really want to get that girl. Luckily, I get to meet with her at school on Monday to sign her yearbook. Just looking for some advice, what's a good way to break a confession of a crush/ ask a girl out? I've never been in a relationship, and don't really want to make the first time I tell a girl I like her end in catastrophic failure. Thanks for any advice!

Well, girls don't call you and ask you to do stuff unless they already like you. Just ask her out, and things will follow the course you want.

Hey Stickershock,
Very Funny!!!!!
You described my house exactly.
Cornyl

Try to work on your rockets in the shop... yell and scream when you can't find you tools because someone used your channel locks to crush soda cans for their school project. and your drill is nowhere to be found, and half your wenches are gone...

I *WISH* only half my wenches were gone. My wife won't let them near the place... Oh wait, you probably meant wrenches, yeah, my boys "borrow" my tools too. My brothers and I would never have dreamed of abusing Dad's tools like that.

Do as much as you can but a job sounds like a good plan if you want to be able to PAY for college.

My plans for the summer look like this:

Step 1) Pack everything we own in to boxes
Step 2) Pack all of our boxes on a big honkin' truck
Step 3) Unload big honkin' truck at our new house/job.
Step 4) Unpack all those stupid &$#@! boxes.

That should cover most of the summer right there...

Back