Feedback wanted: "Flight Log" feature for OpenRocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about the proposed "Flight Log" feature?

• Love it, would definitely use it. Please implement it!

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • Meh, not sure it adds much to what's already there.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Don't like it, would continue to use other available options instead. Don't waste your time.

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters
Yes, some rockets are constantly changing from one flight to another. Often just payload length or nose weight, etc. I haven't found a good way to keep those variations in OR beyond an additional sim, which prevents much of a flight log from accruing.
We’ll hopefully make that possible next release. I have a pretty detailed picture in my head of how to do it.

I like the idea, though I was initially confused about what was being proposed exactly as @Charles_McG was. I, too, think of a log as the stuff I keep in notebooks about each flight of a model (airplane or rocket) rather than a summary of important data in the simulation.
I understand the issue. Will work on the wording when/if the time comes.

I generally like where it's going, but warn against indicating anything with color alone: the red text, for example. In the US, 1 in 12 men of European ancestry have a color vision deficiency (I'm in that cohort, BTW: can't tell red text from black text unless very light red or very bold text).

It's OK to use color to indicate, but you need to back it with something else: a symbol, boldness, italics, reverse - something to show people who can't see your color markup. The "Warning" rectangle with reversed text is a good example of that.

I generally like where it's going, but warn against indicating anything with color alone: the red text, for example. In the US, 1 in 12 men of European ancestry have a color vision deficiency (I'm in that cohort, BTW: can't tell red text from black text unless very light red or very bold text).

It's OK to use color to indicate, but you need to back it with something else: a symbol, boldness, italics, reverse - something to show people who can't see your color markup. The "Warning" rectangle with reversed text is a good example of that.
Are the big “critical” and “warning” badges not sufficient?

In any case that is a design detail that can be worked, and color vision deficiency is always considered (even if we occasionally have to be reminded).

Are the big “critical” and “warning” badges not sufficient?
I think those are very good. The color text next to them looks a little weeny to me, though. Maybe make text #080807 or darker but bold or semibold. Implementation details, I realize.

I'm not sure if there's a reason not to just always include *all* events. There aren't that many, and they're all interesting (I think?). Can you think of specific examples of events that would not normally be displayed?

A separate question is whether to allow for additional columns of numbers on the left... too many and it loses the simplicity and clarity that is its reason for being. But I dunno.

Range at landing is a good one to add. Before finalizing I would probably want to let folks review the complete set of events, and what data are reported for each one, so we get it all covered.

Thanks for the feedback!
I don’t think it needs additional columns on the left. The only reason I suggested a user selectable function was for your convenience in development. That what you could just throw everything in there And let the users decide. But I agree that it could be kept simple and it’s all good data.

Back