Suggestions on programming the Eggtimer Mini Reciever Frequency

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey Collins

Reaction score
My collegiate rocketry team is using the Eggfinder RX "Dongle" Receiver, paired with the Eggtimer Mini Transmitter. We ran into issues utilizing the VisualGPS View software with this setup. We have double and triple check soldered connections and run through the manual's trouble-shooting guide multiple times. The green light on the receiver flashes simultaneously with the red light on the transmitter, indicating that they are communicating. However, we are unable to get any data to display using the VisualGPS software. The VisualGPS software automatically finds the GPS serial port and baud rate, ensuring it is communicating via the correct port. We have not programmed the transmitter's frequency, as we are unsure if this was required after reading the manual.

Does anyone have any experience with Eggfinder GPS systems that may know the solution to this issue? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Have you looked at the data stream with a terminal program, like Putty?

As built, they should be on the same frequency/ID pair.

Are you testing inside or outside - a Mini has a hard time getting a fix indoors.

In Putty, you should see the data at the COM port. If you see the different $GP messages going by, you’ve got reception. If the first set of numbers past the $GPGGA is the time (utc), and the rest is a bunch of commas, you’ve got gps reception, but no fix. If the time is counting up from 0, then you’ve got no GPS reception at all. If you’re not seeing any data, then you don’t have the 900MHz (or 440) link.

Last edited:
^^ What Charles said.

You can also connect the GPS mini's data lines thru the Serial to USB adapter and verify GPS data and fix.
This is actually the first test to run.

Also, do ensure you have the solder bridge or jumper on the Run pad and the PGM pads open.

Last edited:
^^ What Charles said.

You can also connect the GPS mini's data lines thru the Serial to USB adapter and verify GPS data and fix.
This is actually the first test to run.

Also, do ensure you have the solder bridge or jumper on the Run pad and the PGM pads open.
Thanks for advice!

My collegiate rocketry team is using the Eggfinder RX "Dongle" Receiver, paired with the Eggtimer Mini Transmitter. We ran into issues utilizing the VisualGPS View software with this setup. We have double and triple check soldered connections and run through the manual's trouble-shooting guide multiple times. The green light on the receiver flashes simultaneously with the red light on the transmitter, indicating that they are communicating. However, we are unable to get any data to display using the VisualGPS software. The VisualGPS software automatically finds the GPS serial port and baud rate, ensuring it is communicating via the correct port. We have not programmed the transmitter's frequency, as we are unsure if this was required after reading the manual.

Does anyone have any experience with Eggfinder GPS systems that may know the solution to this issue? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks for the advice, buddy. This is very useful information! But I am sure that it is difficult for a person without much experience to understand the issue of programming on his own. Therefore, I usually choose help with programming homework when I have problems like this. This is very important so as not to make stupid mistakes at the initial stage of learning.
Verify Serial Port Settings: Confirm that the serial port settings in VisualGPS View match the settings of your Eggfinder system. This includes baud rate, data bits, stop bits, and parity. The settings should be configured according to the specifications of your Eggfinder hardware.

Back