eggtimmer rx reciever has go lights but cant see data

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lt72884

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A teammate and i have been trying to get the eggtimer rx reciever to communicate with the mini gps (which we finally got to work) for the last 2 or 3 hours

In putty, we set it to serial, com5, and 9600 for the rx reciever. We hit open, and a terminal window opens. Waiting 20 minutes, no data is going acros the screen
We have a solid red led, and a flashing green led on the rx, and a flashing red on the mini gps.

We made sure to do this outside to give it time to connect and the freq. is the same on both

Both of us are very new to this tech so we are not sure were to go from here. Any help would be much appreciated:)
thanks

Last edited:
Does your RX have the cable (with the blue headshell) or the dongle (with the 4-pin ribbon cable)? You need the appropriate driver... if you're getting a flashing green light on the RX's RF module, you should be getting data, so you either don't have the right driver or the connections aren't right.

Does your RX have the cable (with the blue headshell) or the dongle (with the 4-pin ribbon cable)? You need the appropriate driver... if you're getting a flashing green light on the RX's RF module, you should be getting data, so you either don't have the right driver or the connections aren't right.
we are using the usb cable with the blue headshell. The correct drivers should be installed since we can connect to the mini just fine via serial and it shows data starting with $GPS.

the second led under the green, should that be lit? because it is not

If you’re seeing data over serial when directly connected, the the Mini is fine. The problem is with the dongle RX, or the cable connection to it.

Can you post a high res pic of the Rx?

Check your connections from the cable to the RX... RED wire to "POWER +", BLACK wire to "POWER -", and WHITE wire to "CBLRX". Do not connect the GREEN wire, and do not put the jumper on the PGM header.

Check your connections from the cable to the RX... RED wire to "POWER +", BLACK wire to "POWER -", and WHITE wire to "CBLRX". Do not connect the GREEN wire, and do not put the jumper on the PGM header.
that is how i have it configured so far. When i am off the train, i will post some pics.

Are there supposed to be amber colored lights on besides the red and green?

thanks

The amber is a once per second blink on the Mini that you you've already said you have. It seems like it doesn't work on half my mini - but the GPS and the Hope RF still work fine.

If you saw data from the Mini over a direct serial connection, I think you're good.

With the Dongle RX working, you'll see data coming from the Mini as soon as it powers up - it just won't have lat/lon, or the flag that it has a valid GPS fix. That's still going out with every green blink on the Mini Hope module. The amber LED lights when there is -also- a valid GPS fix.

The amber is a once per second blink on the Mini that you you've already said you have. It seems like it doesn't work on half my mini - but the GPS and the Hope RF still work fine.
interesting. Our mini shows data go across the serial connection, but we have no amber light at all, but we still get data for the mini on serial connection.

Rx has red and flashing green, but visual gps and putty show no errors, and just a blank screen over serial.

interesting. Our mini shows data go across the serial connection, but we have no amber light at all, but we still get data for the mini on serial connection.

Rx has red and flashing green, but visual gps and putty show no errors, and just a blank screen over serial.
That suggests data isn't getting from the RX Hope module to the data cable. I'd check the edge solder joints, along with the connects Cris asked about above.

It's kinda hard to tell from your videos because the screen is pretty small, but it looks like you have good data. Do you have the green wire connected to anything? You should NOT...

Cris, this videos are just trying to be helpful examples of what the OP should be seeing. And yes, the green wire is connected to one of the ground pins. Very old instructions, I think.

I'd reflow the solder joints on the hope module - especially the second from the top - the one with the trace that goes to the cablerx pad.
i also hate windows 10. it just updated and removed the driver i had installed because now i get the "this is not a prolific pl2303 device" error now. so i have to redo it all haha

i will reflow that solder as well.

Good luck. I had that same error pop up this week and never found my way back to a totally working driver. Even going back to the one on the eggtimer site. But it only took out 1 of three USB-serial cables. Two visually identical, one older - and one of the identical pair is now rejected.

I ordered a couple of these, and will likely move to Win11.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JLRP6YV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
i got the driver reinstalled but now the mini wont transfer data through serial.. so strange. i will re-flow solder tomorrow and see if i can get it to work. thanks for the help

i also hate windows 10. it just updated and removed the driver i had installed because now i get the "this is not a prolific pl2303 device" error now. so i have to redo it all haha

i will reflow that solder as well.
Use the driver on the Support tab of our web site, do not use the one on the Prolific web site. The new versions do not work with this cable. I recommend that you uninstall your current driver first, then after you install the driver set the port to COM2 in Device Manager.

Use the driver on the Support tab of our web site, do not use the one on the Prolific web site. The new versions do not work with this cable. I recommend that you uninstall your current driver first, then after you install the driver set the port to COM2 in Device Manager.
i will do that asap.

Looks good to me.
thank you:) i think it was that one solder joint from the board to the chip. Now its time to play a game of hide and seek. speaking of that, what is the range of this setup? IE, how close do i have to be for it to pick up each other? im thinking of having the misses drive and park somewhere in town and then i see if i can find her haha

thanks

Don't expect that to work very well... ground range isn't likely to be more than 1/4 mile in any kind of populated environment. Out in open air, different story... you should get 10,000' easily between the Mini and the RX. If you get a better antenna for the RX, you can double that.

I got my new base antenna and USB-UART cable this evening. I popped a little extra money for a CP2102 chip based adapter -with- a cable. It took a minute on the web to find the drivers- but now it’s good to go.
201F1C95-C668-4DC1-A22C-A00C855EC6EB.jpeg

Back