Suggestions for Aerotech Reloadable engines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinsonj

Reaction score
Hello all.....I've been slowly-but-patiently building my collection of RC Boost Gliders, and with my recent purchase of the Aerotech Phoenix, I think its time to actually start building/flying these guys :) I'm currently in Afghanistan, but want your opinions on what reloadable Aerotech engines I should have waiting for me when I get back in October. Ideally, I'd like to get cases that I can use across multiple kits (listed below). What do you think? Thanks!

- Klingberg Flying Wing
- VectorAero Stingray III
- Estes AstroBlaster
- Estes StratoBlaster
- Estes Sweet Vee
- Estes T-25 Centurian
- Aerotech Phoenix

Cheers,
John

- Klingberg Flying Wing
- VectorAero Stingray III
- Estes AstroBlaster
- Estes StratoBlaster
- Estes Sweet Vee
- Estes T-25 Centurian
- Aerotech Phoenix

The Phoenix will use the 32mm RC case. I've flown mine on the G12, F16 and F23 reloads.

The rest of the models if built stock would use the 24mm RC case. The Stingray will boost fantastically on the E6 RC reload. I think the AstroBlaster and the Klingberg rocket wing will too. For the other Estes models, the E15-P single use motors are also pretty good choices. Some folks will tell you to get the regular 24mm reload case and fly whatever motor you want, just leave out the ejection charge (but not the delay grain) but I've never done that.

Looks like a good collection waiting for you!

kj

I would think that the Astroblaster would be hard to find. I had one years ago. It is a very long and complicated build, but can be gone in a second if you have a bad flight. I would advise do not fly in windy weather. It is a good looking bird especially if you monokote it, which takes more work. I like the internal torque rods for controlling the elevons, which make it look like a real plane. Others will disagree and prefer external control horns for attaching elevons by control rods or wires to the servos. I had an R/C modeler help me along the way and he insisted reversing the internal attachments on the torque rods to make a more natural movement on the R/C joy sticks. I never had the Stratoblaster, but it looked to me that it was a more ready-to-fly model. I wonder if this model might be preferable over the Astroblaster.

I have an AstroBlaster and just took a set of Stratoblaster wings out of the shucks. The Aerotech 24RC case is great. I have flown the Astroblaster on the E7 and E6. The E6 is a great show with the 7 sec boost, but you need to be a proficient RC pilot since you have to fly the plane during boost.

It is always a crowd pleaser at a launch and the reloads are pretty reasonable from a price perspective.

Back