Rebuttal to R/C Rocket glider article in latest 2020 Sport Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
old Estes Falcon with a streamer recovered 13mm motor mount assembly needed to comply with the current safety code.
did I miss something? The following is copied from the NAR site today, I don’t see any rules restriction motor eject. I do understand that (free or streamerless) motor eject may be prohibited by field rules (e.g,, Sod Farm) or with high brush-fire risks. Both the Mosquito and the Quark are motor eject streamerless recovery Models.

1. MaterialsI will use only lightweight, non-metal parts for the nose, body, and fins of my rocket.

2. MotorsI will use only certified, commercially made model rocket motors, and will not tamper with these motors or use them for any purposes except those recommended by the manufacturer.

3. Ignition SystemI will launch my rockets with an electrical launch system and electrical motor igniters. My launch system will have a safety interlock in series with the launch switch, and will use a launch switch that returns to the “off” position when released.

4. MisfiresIf my rocket does not launch when I press the button of my electrical launch system, I will remove the launcher’s safety interlock or disconnect its battery, and will wait 60 seconds after the last launch attempt before allowing anyone to approach the rocket.

5. Launch SafetyI will use a countdown before launch, and will ensure that everyone is paying attention and is a safe distance of at least 15 feet away when I launch rockets with D motors or smaller, and 30 feet when I launch larger rockets. If I am uncertain about the safety or stability of an untested rocket, I will check the stability before flight and will fly it only after warning spectators and clearing them away to a safe distance. When conducting a simultaneous launch of more than ten rockets, I will observe a safe distance of 1.5 times the maximum expected altitude of any launched rocket.

6. LauncherI will launch my rocket from a launch rod, tower, or rail that is pointed to within 30 degrees of the vertical to ensure that the rocket flies nearly straight up, and I will use a blast deflector to prevent the motor’s exhaust from hitting the ground. To prevent accidental eye injury, I will place launchers so that the end of the launch rod is above eye level or will cap the end of the rod when it is not in use.

7. SizeMy model rocket will not weigh more than 1,500 grams (53 ounces) at liftoff and will not contain more than 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant or 320 N-sec (71.9 pound-seconds) of total impulse.

8. Flight SafetyI will not launch my rocket at targets, into clouds, or near airplanes, and will not put any flammable or explosive payload in my rocket.

9. Launch SiteI will launch my rocket outdoors, in an open area at least as large as shown in the accompanying table, and in safe weather conditions with wind speeds no greater than 20 miles per hour. I will ensure that there is no dry grass close to the launch pad, and that the launch site does not present risk of grass fires.

10. Recovery SystemI will use a recovery system such as a streamer or parachute in my rocket so that it returns safely and undamaged and can be flown again, and I will use only flame-resistant or fireproof recovery system wadding in my rocket.

11. Recovery SafetyI will not attempt to recover my rocket from power lines, tall trees, or other dangerous places

did I miss something? The following is copied from the NAR site today, I don’t see any rules restriction motor eject.
It's a pink book restriction for competition: "No entry in sanctioned competition shall eject its motor or motors in flight in such a manner that the spent motor casing or casings fall freely apart from the model." See https://www.nar.org/pdf/pinkbook.pdf

It's a pink book restriction for competition: "No entry in sanctioned competition shall eject its motor or motors in flight in such a manner that the spent motor casing or casings fall freely apart from the model." See https://www.nar.org/pdf/pinkbook.pdf
Absolutely true for competition. NOT for safety code.

FREEFALL motor eject is perfectly acceptable under the safety code for Sport models/flights but MAY be prohibited by field rules or conditions.

I believe der Micromeister said they did motor eject up to G motors o_O.

That seems a bit much to me, I routinely do it up to black powder 24 mm D motors, although mostly 18 mm and 13 mm. Never had a problem. The casings are unstable, they tumble, and they have no sharp edges. Probably safer than the Quark, which contrary to popular belief is NOT tumble recovery, it ejects the motor and is FEATHERWEIGHT recovery, so it comes in ballistic and with that pointed tip makes me nervous despite it's light weight.

My current comment is mainly done because commonly people mix up Pink Book contest rules (which are more restrictive) with Safety Code rules, and tell flyers that Ejected motors are never allowed at NAR sanctioned events (or I presume Tripoli when they are kind enough to humor low power rocketry enthusiasts [ @Steve Shannon ??]) because they are barred by the Safety Code. Not true.

That said, if you bring a motor eject rocket to attend a club launch, it’s good to know the LOCAL FIELD rules and local fire conditions. I was told (anecdotally) that Sod Farm only accepts Dog Barf wadding, no flameproof tissue, for example, and they don't allow streamerless motor eject. I have seen clubs that ban ejected motors and sparky motors when local burn bans are at "moderate" level.

Absolutely true for competition. NOT for safety code.

FREEFALL motor eject is perfectly acceptable under the safety code for Sport models/flights but MAY be prohibited by field rules or conditions.

I believe der Micromeister said they did motor eject up to G motors o_O.

That seems a bit much to me, I routinely do it up to black powder 24 mm D motors, although mostly 18 mm and 13 mm. Never had a problem. The casings are unstable, they tumble, and they have no sharp edges. Probably safer than the Quark, which contrary to popular belief is NOT tumble recovery, it ejects the motor and is FEATHERWEIGHT recovery, so it comes in ballistic and with that pointed tip makes me nervous despite it's light weight.

My current comment is mainly done because commonly people mix up Pink Book contest rules (which are more restrictive) with Safety Code rules, and tell flyers that Ejected motors are never allowed at NAR sanctioned events (or I presume Tripoli when they are kind enough to humor low power rocketry enthusiasts [ @Steve Shannon ??]) because they are barred by the Safety Code. Not true.

That said, if you bring a motor eject rocket to attend a club launch, it’s good to know the LOCAL FIELD rules and local fire conditions. I was told (anecdotally) that Sod Farm only accepts Dog Barf wadding, no flameproof tissue, for example, and they don't allow streamerless motor eject. I have seen clubs that ban ejected motors and sparky motors when local burn bans are at "moderate" level.
I agree.

This is drift for this thread, but I absolutely agree. The Quark and the 220 Swift are both models that I hate to see come to one of my launches as that pointy plastic nose cone would certainly hurt if it hit you, even from the altitude they get on a 1/4A3. They ALWAYS come in ballistic. At least the Mosquito, with it's rounded nose cone (and especially in its initial balsa-nose-cone form) would be much less painful. The Luna Bug, with its little landing pads, falls much more slowly and it is really the only one of these tiny "featherweight recovery" models I don't mind seeing. The original featherweight model, the Streak, had a much bigger blunt balsa nose cone (BNC-10A).

Now back to gliders.....both in and out of a contest context.....

Latest posts

Back