styrofoam-sealing spray

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWRackers

Reaction score
Can anyone point me to a spray sealer or primer that I can use on styrofoam, that (1) will let me sand it smooth before painting, and (2) won't eat the styrofoam in the process? I was going to use plasti-kote sandable primer, but their web site says the stuff is incompatible with styrofoam.

I agree with Al. Water-based is the only paint that can be used on bare styrofoam. However, if you give it a coat of epoxy, then any paint can be used.

Food for thought..........;)

NAR #84102
TNRocketry

What about Elmer's white glue? I know that for some of Art Applewhite's kits (like the Qubit), the instructions have you sealing the edges of the foamboard with white glue before painting. Might be a little more labor intensive to get a real smooth finish but it's a readily accessible & inexpensive solution...

I just finished some large parts made of blue foam and I covered the outside with West Epoxy and some 0.5oz. fiberglass cloth (the stuff is like silk scarf material!)

I got it at the hobby shop in the R/C plane department. SIG makes it.

Very strong and it added almost no weight to the final part. The paint seems to weigh more!

Originally posted by lalligood
What about Elmer's white glue? I know that for some of Art Applewhite's kits (like the Qubit), the instructions have you sealing the edges of the foamboard with white glue before painting. Might be a little more labor intensive to get a real smooth finish but it's a readily accessible & inexpensive solution...

Elmers may work well in that application, but if it does it is because it is adhearing to the paper layers on each side of the foam board. The problem with using elmers in such an application is that it does not adhear to the actual foam...

Back