Automotive Paint Users...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielhv

Reaction score
Entertaining the idea of using auto paint for my Punisher 3. I have all the equipment and know-how... sprayed many cars in my days. But trying to decide on brands is what's holding me up. In the car world you tend to match products with the base/clear for compatibility. I do not believe I need to splurge for House of Kolor stuff for a rocket. So my question is, brands of base/clear and primers have you guys had luck with that won't break the bank? Will be going out of an HVLP gun.

I used auto paint through an HVLP gun for the first time this year, and I am pretty happy with the results. I used Duplicolor Paint Shop, a lacquer that comes ready to shoot with no thinning. There is a primer, colors, and clear coat. Limited colors, but easy to use, nice results, about $35-40 per quart. IMG_3988.png

Duplicolor Paint Shop brand. About the cheapest stuff I have seen and works amazingly well. Best part is a lot of regular auto parts stores around here have it sitting on the shelf. Often times deeply discounted. The last quart I bought was $12. That is less than one spray can of duplicolor.

My recommendation is go to an autobody paint shop (PPG, Dupont etc) and look over their goof mixes. I have gotten pints and quarts of good base coats for about $5, most will accept any offer. For a rocket just use a 1K laquer primer in the budget (Omni, Nason) of the brand of the goof mix. It will work just fine. For a clear just by the autoshop's cheapest 3rd party 2K clear. You're not refinishing a Ferrari.

Last edited:
Entertaining the idea of using auto paint for my Punisher 3. I have all the equipment and know-how... sprayed many cars in my days. But trying to decide on brands is what's holding me up. In the car world you tend to match products with the base/clear for compatibility. I do not believe I need to splurge for House of Kolor stuff for a rocket. So my question is, brands of base/clear and primers have you guys had luck with that won't break the bank? Will be going out of an HVLP gun.
On my Punisher 3, I used the Shop-Line auto paint. JP202 High Build Surface Primer. JB Acrylic Basecoat and JC661 High Gloss Clear. Only drawback is it can get expensive. To help on cost, I only get a half pint of basecoat since it is a 1:1 ratio. Then it comes out to a pint of paint. I don't spray outside since it draws in bugs like crazy. I spray inside my garage with plastic draped up and a box fan in the window blowing out. Once everything is done, I don't touch it for 2 weeks.

The Wildman Goblin in my Avatar was painted with this paint. But I used a JC630 for a clear. It has a good durable finish but, after the first flight or two, you know what happens.

Createx is a good option - Low oder, water clean up and endless colors. Here are a few examples. Use a 2 k clear.

Attachments

• 9ISpw0Lm-351106081.jpeg
    9ISpw0Lm-351106081.jpeg
    413.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210530_155140.jpg
    20210530_155140.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210623_115931.jpg
    20210623_115931.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Createx is a good option - Low oder, water clean up and endless colors. Here are a few examples. Use a 2 k clear.
I'll second createx - I've used it for a while and have had pretty good results. Not quite as good as Rocketcas, but respectable. I use a Duplicolor primer/filler and have primarily used Spraymax 2K clear, but I've got a new 2 part that I'll be trying this winter.

1000005785.jpg1000005786.jpg1000005789.jpg

Last edited:
I'll second createx - I've used it for a while and have had pretty good results. Not quite as good as Rocketcas, but respectable. I use a Duplicolor primer/filler and have primarily used Spraymax 2K clear, but I've got a new 2 part that I'll be trying this winter.

View attachment 619420View attachment 619421View attachment 619423
Those are very pretty, and I have some Createx on hand, but you can use Duplicolor primer under an acrylic? Is the Duplicolor acrylic also? I thought it was oil-based for car work. Maybe (actually, probably) I don't know as much about paint as I should. But I like pretty rockets!

Those are very pretty, and I have some Createx on hand, but you can use Duplicolor primer under an acrylic? Is the Duplicolor acrylic also? I thought it was oil-based for car work. Maybe (actually, probably) I don't know as much about paint as I should. But I like pretty rockets!
I should have probably mentioned that I normally use rattle can primer/filler, then coat with Createx Autoborne Sealer, then color coats. I also used Duplicolor Gloss Black under the Quicksilver Chrome - though Createx now has a gloss black for that purpose, so I may give it a try. I've never had issues with incompatibility.1000005790.jpg1000005791.jpg

I've shot Createx colors straight over Duplicolor without a problem.

Back