Rustoleum Again

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Friends don’t let friends use Rustoleum paint. This is a piece of a rocket tool organizer. Painted yesterday with Dupli-Color Self-Etching Primer. Got a new can of Rustoleum becaue it is a color I wanted for another project. Decided to use it on this, since color didn’t matter and it was a chance to see how this paint applied. Good thing I did. I shook the can a couple of minutes then sprayed it 3-4 seconds to get the paint flow going. As I applied the paint, I could hear it change from a nice application to an airy sounding application that was very rough. The pictures tell the story. You can see some smooth areas, and some really rough ones that look like stucco.

Attachments

• stucco.jpeg
    stucco.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1
  • stucco2.jpeg
    stucco2.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 0
  • smoother.jpeg
    smoother.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1
In my case, the problem had no connection to the primer under it. You could hear the solids coming from the can as it created the rough texture. I was able to sand it all off a day later with 220 grit sandpaper.

In my case, the problem had no connection to the primer under it. You could hear the solids coming from the can as it created the rough texture. I was able to sand it all off a day later with 220 grit sandpaper.
How old was the can of Rustoleum?​

I have a 20 gallon compressor and a variety of paint guns but use rattle cans on model rockets. It's faster and easier. Have used Rusto 2X with good results. Always use when it's warm out or warm the rocket and paint first. Shake the cans 2-3 minutes. Test the paint first on a piece of cardboard. Have had a couple of bad cans but just returned them to Home Depot for refund.
Both of these were done with Rusto 2X;
Black Brant MC.jpgInterceptor setup.jpg

I have the best luck with the Rusto Professional High Performance Enamel. Problem is the limited colors. I can make a really nice looking model, until the final paint. Then it’s just hope for the best.

Back