Streamer recovery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony Claiborne

Reaction score
What's the heaviest rocket you have recovered successfully by streamer? What material and construction techniques did you use? What was the highest altitude you achieved recovering this rocket by streamer?

The biggest thing I've flown with streamers is a Baby Bertha with a 29mm motor mount. It went a little over 2000 feet and recovered on two 6' crepe paper streamers. I went with streamers mostly for visibility on recovery. I wanted to be able to see the tiny rocket way up high.

I use a 4-foot streamer as a drogue on windy days in my FG Formula 75. 3" airframe, about 5 lbs. descent weight. It is HED and occasionally I don't get the main out. Rocket has landed undamaged under those conditions.

I've launched a 15 inch spool on a I-200 with a 4 X 60" streamer 3 times, first two, perfect recovery. Third time, it landed on a big rock, and cracked the plywood on the lower ring. Easy fix.

I occasionally have mistakenly put the forward harness in backwards, with the third loop too far up in the NC, and there isn't enough gravity in the hollow NC to pull it all the way out. When I attach the harness with the third loop closer to the AV bay, problem solved. Works well when I do it correctly. :oops:

Back