Split Cameras

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a camera mounted on the outside facing down but I wanted a horizontal facing camera mounted internally. This pic is from before I painted.
View attachment 598173

Video from camera:

That's an amazing video. I was a little apprehensive about doing that on my own rockets, but seeing that has changed my mind

Because this thread has been so helpful to me, I’ll share a few of my bays with a RunCam split 3 lite. Hope these help someone else in the future. About to start on a 75mm MD project, and will be using the RunCam split again, only this time with a Wi-Fi switch and heatsink bonded with thermal epoxy.

Attachments

• IMG_1689.jpeg
    IMG_1689.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1690.jpeg
    IMG_1690.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3123.mov
    46.9 MB
  • IMG_1693.jpeg
    IMG_1693.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1768.jpeg
    IMG_1768.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3744.jpeg
    IMG_3744.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3745.jpeg
    IMG_3745.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3749.jpeg
    IMG_3749.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Because this thread has been so helpful to me, I’ll share a few of my bays with a RunCam split 3 lite. Hope these help someone else in the future. About to start on a 75mm MD project, and will be using the RunCam split again, only this time with a Wi-Fi switch and heatsink bonded with thermal epoxy.
@Cherrywaves89 --

Very nice spring loaded mount !

What diameter are the tubes in your photos?

-- kjh

I was looking at the runcam thumb for a nosecone cam in my 38mm minimum diameter rocket. But it would end up with a vertical video. It is made to record with the camera horizontal.
Unfortunately I just don't know. I'm just starting to gain experience with this model myself. I'll share anything I learn in the next couple of months.

I went with a $120 Caddx Walnut. The WiFi is nice, allowing access to settings and to start recording as you leave the pad.
https://caddxfpv.com/products/caddx-walnut-action-camera
2.7k @ 60fps
Wi-Fi + audio
128GB storage
USB-C
GyroFlow stabilization for post processing
30min record time with 4K
Phone App control

Weight with batteries is 35grams.
How hard was it to remove the Caddx Walnut from its case ? I'm interested in trying what you did, but I don't want to brick a $$ camera trying to "crack" the Walnut :)

@JoeTeckcor, Is that an EggTimer wifi switch you are using? Does the Split 4 record immediately on power up?
It is and there is a setting to record on power up. That is how I use it.
Assuming the launch pad isn’t too far away I can turn it on from my phone right before the launch. That way I don’t have to worry about it overheating and shutting down while I wait my turn.
I’ve only had one launch so far but it worked well.

It is and there is a setting to record on power up. That is how I use it.
Assuming the launch pad isn’t too far away I can turn it on from my phone right before the launch. That way I don’t have to worry about it overheating and shutting down while I wait my turn.
I’ve only had one launch so far but it worked well.
Quite a lot of cameras have a setting that allows them to start on power to USB. Mobius certainly has it and there is a firmware version for then 808 cameras

Back