Southern Thunder 2010

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats the plan. Been a while.

Has been awhile man! And I must say the L3 in you sig is quite striking! Congrats man! I am probably just as proud of you as yer dad is!
I always knew ya'd beat me to it! I have to re-cert again yaknow, LOL! this will be my 4th L1 and second L2! I'm going to go big this time around and do my L1 in the IRIS with another I600 shoved up it's butt! Then another J350 for L2, and probably stay there for this season.
You guys come'n up this Saturday for the launch? be great to see ya both b4 ST2010! :)

Mike

Jack Daniels Distillery tour... :cool:

Hmmmmmmmmmm....LOL :cheers:

Seriously it's like a month away and no updates! What do the T-Shirts look like? Why is there no projects on the page? Does HARA and MCMC2 need help? I'd be more than happy to do so!:confused2:

Who will be there and what are ya flying? C'mon people I look foward to this every year!

Let's see some feedback!!!!:mad:

Mike

Well...

I'll be flying some stuff mainly in the H, I,and J range. I'm working on a couple projects that I hope to have running by then. I have a 2.6" diameter scratch build that I'll be flying on a J510 to over mach and a mile, and I have a PML Thunder n Lightning that'll be going on a J350 to an I1299N.

Both aren't finished yet, and it's looking like the Thunder n Lightning won't be done by then. If the scratch build isn't done, I'll just put the J510 in my Talon 3 and hope for the best.

You can now pre-order Southern Thunder 2010 T-Shirts.
$15 each, S - 3X.
Preorder now at: [email protected]

The shirts are black with the graphic shown below on the back.
st2010purpleonblack.jpg

We'll be there, for Saturday anyway. A friend of mine from work and her husband are also planning on attending. They are bringing along a friend of theirs, a gentleman named Winston Caldwell. He is in his 80's and used to work at Marshall Space Flight Center with Werner Von Braun. I've never met him but they tell me that he is as sharp as a tack, and quite excited about coming. I sent my coworker some information about the launch but before she could get it to her husband, Mr. Caldwell had already looked it up on the web, and sent it to them.

So I hope it works out, and he's able to make it. I might get him to sign one of my rockets. History you know.

We'll be there, for Saturday anyway. A friend of mine from work and her husband are also planning on attending. They are bringing along a friend of theirs, a gentleman named Winston Caldwell. He is in his 80's and used to work at Marshall Space Flight Center with Werner Von Braun. I've never met him but they tell me that he is as sharp as a tack, and quite excited about coming. I sent my coworker some information about the launch but before she could get it to her husband, Mr. Caldwell had already looked it up on the web, and sent it to them.

So I hope it works out, and he's able to make it. I might get him to sign one of my rockets. History you know.

:y: I would love to have him sign mine! Get his pic! Pick his brain.....OMG Jeff that is AWESOME!!!!:D :clap:

It'd be worth the trip just to meet him!!!! :D

Mike

Guess I'll travel North to visit ya'll at ST.
I'll bring my Proto DarkStar and others to let them loose.

see ay there!

We are 'GO FOR LAUNCH' so to speak. Still have to put some paint on .354 Magnum, but should happen this weekend, weather permitting.

Rockets, great people, and great times....what could be better?

Looking forward to seeing everyone again. :)

Well I'll be there! Doing my L2 again (This time I will pay my membership every year...) on either the 3" IRIS or my newest creation a 4" Goblin with an AT J350W or Loki J396-SF (provided we can do sparkies).

I have bought a Performance Rocketry 4" Intimidator, Missile Works RRC2, Ozark Arts, and a Big Red Bee TX tracker for my L3 project but doesn't look like I'll have it ready for ST2010..May save it for Rocktober Skies so I can go hang with my Bama buddies!:cool: 13,000-14,000 feet is pushing it on the sod..;) But with the right weather and the blessings of the rocket Gods....

What is the field record in Manchester? Seems like I was told it was right at 13,000 and was done by none other than Max Grey. (Imagine that..LOL)

Anyways can't wait to see all of you again!

Mike

Well, due to circumcisions beyond our control Pem-Tech won't be at Southern Thunder this year.
:(

Hope everyone else has a good time!!

Well, due to circumcisions beyond our control Pem-Tech won't be at Southern Thunder this year.

Bummer... :( I was looking forward to picking up some more Rocket Cozies... :D Sorry we won't see you guys, hope your "circumstances" aren't anything bad.

What is the field record in Manchester? Seems like I was told it was right at 13,000 and was done by none other than Max Grey. (Imagine that..LOL)

Mike

I think Max went to 17K a few years ago. Kyle's L3 flew to 16.5K last year at ST'09 ;)

Bummer... :( I was looking forward to picking up some more Rocket Cozies... :D Sorry we won't see you guys, hope your "circumstances" aren't anything bad.

well, I do have Trudy working on a few new ones we will post to the website.
But nothing will ever top the Nom Nom Fish...
;)

Bummer...It won't be the same without you guys there. :(

I think Max went to 17K a few years ago. Kyle's L3 flew to 16.5K last year at ST'09 ;)

Woooohooooo! GO Kyle! Steal Max's "Thunder" this year! LOL
Wow....17K.....Don't think the Intimidator will do it on any comercial motor....But ya never know huh? :cool:

Mike

Best I can get is between 13.5k-14k...Should have bought a Mongoose! ;)

Anyways so who will be there and what are you flying?:confused2:

There are alot of slots left on the duty roster BTW...(Hint,Hint)

Mike

Well, due to a change in my dad's work schedule, I'm not going to Southern Thunder this year.

Oh well, better luck next year.

Had a great time there fellas - enjoyed watching all the great (and even not so great) flights! The Atlanta contingent had largely good results (I know I did) - I'll look forward to more flying in Manchester!

Really enjoyed myself and meeting people. Was going to Launch my Thor on a "K" but those towards the trees wind and the half dozen rocket that I sure got eaten by the woods, curbed that.

I even came in last place in the Darkstar drag, but found it first and think there still maybe one out there in the trees.

Sunburn and Happy!:neener:

Great pictures cj. Were some of those from Sunday? I've got a few pics and videos here.

Last edited:
Back