Source for Black Powder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, that is what I did... bought 4 pounds myself from Graf and Son's. At the next club launch, I'll see if anyone wants to share in this order.

I was ordering something from Chris' Supplies and noticed the BP so passed that along since the title of this topic is "Source for Black Powder".
And if you’re already ordering motors with hazmat getting your powder from the same vendor can save you money.

Shipping (as with motors) is the killer. Def better to aggregate an order. Back when GOEX closed their doors, I got a bunch of people together and we ordered 20 lbs of GOEX FFFFg from Buffalo Arms. Shipping was only $52, so we were able to get the whole order shipped at around $28 per lbs, all-in. Currently, Buffalo Arms shows shipping has increased a little, but a 20 lbs order of Schutzen still comes in at about $29 per lbs, shipped. If you can get a bunch of people to go in on an order, you can get a lifetime supply at a good price right now.

I just placed an order with Powderinc for 4fg Goex. They sell in 5-lb lots, 5-lbs being the minimum up to 25 lbs in a single order. It was $188 total for 5-lbs or ~$38/pound. Buying more (a 10-lb lot for example) would have spread the hazmat out over more product and lowered the price to about $29/lb but that is more than I want to store/keep on hand/consume. You can only going through it so fast with these old firearms.

Beware a couple of fake sites out there--I almost fell for one of them. If any non-rocketry place is willing to sell you a single pound with "cheap shipping," run away. Do some googling. From what I've gathered, maine powder house and powderinc both seem legit.

If you live near a club that does high power odds are pretty good someone in the club has some if you need a small amount. There may be people willing to go in on an order to split the cost.

Back