Electric Match Sourcing? (Are they all the same?)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Konrad, bare they wouldn't fit either way through the nozzle of the 24/40 D15T when I tried, but they will fit though the E28T and F39T nozzles, bare or dipped. I can't recall if I tried one with the nozzle of an 18/20 reload or simply assumed it wouldn't fit based on experience with the D15. I acquired two packs of the discontinued 18/20 E27T yesterday, and I'm very curious whether the MJGs will fit.

As it happens, you helped me load BKNO3-dipped MJG BP starters into four E28s last weekend. :cool:
Ah ha !

So I have seen the MJG BP ignitors !

I was wondering if I could avoid winding and dipping my own with nichrome and solid cat-6 and Quick Dip ...

Thanks for the info @bad_idea !

-- kjh

I'm not sure about the 3mm heads fitting into various RMS nozzles. I guess anything over 1/8" throat diameter might work. It also depends on how much pyrogen it's dipped in.
Thanks John !

It sounds like I need to go ahead and build some itty-bitty Quick Dips from cat-6 and nichrome ...

-- kjh( :) shucks, says the lazy boy in me :) )

MJG is what I use. It's also the only unregulated ematch out there. It successfully was used on 4 flights at Black Rock, some extreme, the others just big.
I was a J-tek guy until unregulated was a reality.

https://electricmatch.com/rocketry/see/36/6/mjg-firewire-initiater

To clarify for those who didn't click the link... The Firewire ematches (Box is also labeled I-tek, if I recall correctly) are the unregulated ones. Blue/white wires.

J-Teks are regulated. These have two yellow leads, if I recall correctly.

If you look around, some vendors offer a quantity discount if buying a box at once.

Either way, should be looked at as a reliable expense by purchasing MJG Firewires.

I also use MJG Firewires to ignite motors, augmented with slivers of Blue Thunder - I buy a pack of E28 reloads every few years for this reason. To save myself the hassle of going back to the pad, I double up on ematches, especially for big motors. I feel the minimal expense is worth it to save my fat @$$ another walk to the pad.

We have some exciting news to share with you regarding our upcoming release of a Composite Starter Kit, a result of our recent collaboration with Quickburst.

Initially, we had a non-regulated version for composite starters. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, our lead chemist, who had perfected a tweak for achieving a 100% firing rate, passed away, taking the crucial information with him. Despite a year of challenges, we've successfully overcome this setback and improved the product. However, the changes made required removing the non-regulated part, making the kit the best option moving forward.

We anticipate the release of these kits in about a week. To learn more and stay updated, feel free to check out our website at: https://electricmatch.com/rocketry/see/51/6/composite-starter-kit.

On a related note, we completely agree with your perspective on black powders (bp starters). Why go through the hassle of making your own when you can purchase ready-to-go solutions? It's all about convenience and efficiency. https://electricmatch.com/rocketry/see/23/6/bp-rocket-starters

If you have any questions or would like more information, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're thrilled about this upcoming release and can't wait to share it with you.

We have some exciting news to share with you regarding our upcoming release of a Composite Starter Kit, a result of our recent collaboration with Quickburst.

Initially, we had a non-regulated version for composite starters. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, our lead chemist, who had perfected a tweak for achieving a 100% firing rate, passed away, taking the crucial information with him. Despite a year of challenges, we've successfully overcome this setback and improved the product. However, the changes made required removing the non-regulated part, making the kit the best option moving forward.

We anticipate the release of these kits in about a week. To learn more and stay updated, feel free to check out our website at: https://electricmatch.com/rocketry/see/51/6/composite-starter-kit.

On a related note, we completely agree with your perspective on black powders (bp starters). Why go through the hassle of making your own when you can purchase ready-to-go solutions? It's all about convenience and efficiency. https://electricmatch.com/rocketry/see/23/6/bp-rocket-starters

If you have any questions or would like more information, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're thrilled about this upcoming release and can't wait to share it with you.
Curious about the choices for wire length on your packages - 8in or 8ft. Why no 3ft option like you have available in your other products? Obviously 8ft would work in any instance that I'd want to use 3ft but it's highly likely I will never need an igniter longer than 3ft in my lifetime.

Looks interesting. Can you share the electrical current specs for them (no-fire, all-fire, etc.)? Do these make for low-current starters like the ematches and BP starters?

Curious about the choices for wire length on your packages - 8in or 8ft. Why no 3ft option like you have available in your other products? Obviously 8ft would work in any instance that I'd want to use 3ft but it's highly likely I will never need an igniter longer than 3ft in my lifetime.
8" of 6 feet, this was what we were making in the past, the 8" were more popular. Anything is possible in the future if the kits do well.

8" of 6 feet, this was what we were making in the past, the 8" were more popular. Anything is possible in the future if the kits do well.
My mistake, I guess I misread 6 for 8. I'm not surprised 8in wires were more popular as even a 6ft wire seems excessively long to me. I would chose the 8in option over 6ft for sure.

Latest posts

Back