So, my first time riding a bike in 40 years, and this is what happened....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tonka,

Still want to contact you privately. Please send me an e-mail, to gcgassaway at yahoo dot com

cbrarick, you can use the same.

On to the rest of the message, a teaser for something I'm doing for Halloween. Some adhesive vinyl letters I cut out by hand (taped printed pattern on top of the vinyl sheet).

It will involve the bike. :)

UeF2oKG.jpg

Last edited:
George:

Don't ride around tomorrow macing the kids!!!! :>

Yeah, only adults. :)

Just kidding. No mace of any kind, neither spray nor medieval. Not even an ancient USAF winged Missile.

The letters in the photo are not necessarily laid out in the sequence they were meant for. I expect a few face palms when readers of this thread realize what they missed (nobody post any guesses, ya had yer chance).

Suffice to say I think a lot of people will enjoy the way the letters are being put to use. Of course some might have some face palms about what the heck I've done......

Halloween project is now done, waiting for tomorrow.

Pics sometime Saturday night.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
I have thought about getting a used touring bike for exercise, small errands, and as a bug-out bike in case of an emergency. My last bike, a 3-speed, was stolen over 40 years ago in front of a local hobby shop.

Well, this started out with such fun expectations. A Halloween group ride Saturday, a B/C ride, at a social pace, no drop. Costumes encouraged but not required. I decided to flip it around, wear comfortable clothes, but to add something special for the Bike.

And here it is, in a photo taken on Friday.

cFc2BEY.jpg

That was the highlight, that photo, Friday.

Saturday, I'd rather forget.

Warning, ranting ahead.

It rained a lot overnight. Was still drizzing at ride time. I decided not to mount the ACME rocket to the bike ,as it would have gotten ruined by dirty water. But that was not the low moment of the day.

The group rode out, I think maybe 40 people. It was great for the first mile or two. Then there was a bridge across a highway to ride over, so as I rode slow up it, one by one a lot of riders passed me. Oh well, there's a sweeper in the back and it IS a no drop ride. The group got farther and farther ahead (Social pace…. yeah, right), riding 1/2 to 1 mph faster than I could reasonably try to keep up with, without killing my legs for the rest of the ride (I learned not to overstress myself trying to keep up, leaivng my legs too weak to ride at a decent speed later). Eventually, no sign of them. No sign of a sweeper, either.

They had handed out a map shorty before the ride. I knew there would be a turn off to the right at some point. I stopped to check the map. A bit later, another rider from the ride stopped behind me. Ah, the sweeper! So, we rode onwards. Came upon a turn to the right that I thought might be the one to use. I asked the sweeper if we turn right here. Nothing. I ask again, nothing. So, we ride on, he must know where we are going. I asked him twice more if he knew where we were going….

But finally I realized the mileage to that right turn, we had ridden past that distance. I stop again. I asked the sweeper where to we go, was that turn we rode past where we were supposed to turn? it turned out he was a straggler, NOT a sweeper. We had both gotten left, on this "Social Pace No Drop Ride".

Of course, all the time spent stopping to check a map, which was printed TOO SMALL to make out a lot of the text (magnifying glasses not part of my ride tools), meant we were being left further and further behind. We wasted at least 10 minutes trying to find the first rest stop (which was off-trail), before giving up on that since we figured by then nobody would be there. So onwards, finally back on course for sure. We ride past where the 2nd rest stop was….. nobody. The other guy rode ahead of me and kept pulling away, and I was not sure he knew where he was going, because according to the map we should have turned left onto a different trail already. So, OK, he left me, I gave up on him, and FINALLY had a real rest stop, to have a cereal bar, and get my GPS nav going.

Another mistake I made was to try to get to the 3rd and final stop, which would have been a longer stop for the group since it was at a bike shop and the costumes would be judged there. I wasted too much time trying to get there, and the NavMii GPS was not giving me reliable info, some routes it attempted to send me on ridiculously long, a three lefts make a right kind of thing. So, ultimately I used Cyclemeter's map, and to just get back to my car, period. Screw trying to get to that 3rd stop. Now, Cyclemeter is not meant for navigation like a TomTom or Garmin auto GPS. The maps there are for planned routes, and for recording GPS points as record of the ride. Fortunately the night before I had made a "dummy" route of the general area for the sake of making sure that the map data was pre-fetched before leaving home (since the iPhone is not activated, getting internet only using only WiFi). Anyway, I did see where the starting point was programmed to be, and used the rest of the map display to help me get to it.

When I got there…. everybody was back and eating lunch inside the park building. Nobody said anything, nobody even nodded or acknowledged I existed, though of course most were just doing their thing eating lunch. But I'd been in the same room as them for nearly an hour before we left. I assume they didn't know I'd been dropped, I wasn't going to make a scene. At the tables, all the chairs were used, no place to sit and have lunch with anyone (ah, the camaraderie thing again!). I put a bit of lunch into a paper plate, got something to drink, and left. I ate lunch in my car, and drove elsewhere to try to get some good use out of the rest of the day while I was in that side of town.

It REALLY ticked me off to have been left like that. This was supposed to be a no-drop ride, with a sweeper. Somebody blew it. I do not even know who to complain to, but I'm going to find out.

There is NO POINT in doing a GROUP RIDE WITHOUT THE GROUP!!! I did this ride for the sake of doing a big special group ride. Not to do a long mostly solo ride that I was NOT prepared to do solo, as opposed to how I plan out all my complex solo rides in advance or know the area well enough to be able to dead-reckon back. Given the rain and uncertainty of when we'd leave to start the ride, by the time I installed and turned on my iPhone on the bike to get Cyclemeter running, I forgot to open "iArrow" to log the "you are here" GPS location of the starting point.

Also, of course, the entire route of that ride, none of which I'd ever ridden before, if I had wanted to experience those trail segments solo, then I'd not have done it on a cold RAINY day. I'd have done it on a nice day when I could have been well prepared with the route in advance, and ridden at my own pace, and enjoy it (even stop to enjoy some places) rather than the stress of trying (and failing) to keep up with a group that rode out of sight.

So, when I arrived for the ride this morning, I thought I was not wearing a costume. But, as it turned out, I was wearing the costume of a "soon-to-be DROPPED RIDER". Or, the Invisible Man (despite my flashing CatEye headlight).

And how silly it would have been if I had worn a costume, to have ended up alone looking that way? Also a good thing I didn't have the ACME rocket onboard for a similar reason. Also though if I had it on, I could have blamed that rocket for slowing me, and whoever is responsible for me being left could have tried to blame that as to why I could not keep up with the "social pace". Though of course it was't just me that got left, there was also that other guy, and our bikes were unimpeded.

This was the worst ride experience I've had, other than when I fell onto grass while stopping (but that fall was during an otherwise positive ride on a new trail that I'd set a personal best distance at, busting 20 miles for the first time). The bad weather would not have mattered much if it had all been with the group. Indeed, I had come pretty close to deciding NOT to do the ride after all due to the weather. But there was this special group ride, the "camaraderie" of doing that……. which suckered me into riding in weather I would NEVER choose to ride in otherwise.

So all I have left to show for it are some pre-ride pics of other people in costume, which I'm going delete (too painful), a VERY DIRTY bike, and extreme disillusionment..

At least I can get the bike cleaned up.

And I did make it back safely. But I was in more danger riding alone, some of it on streets trying to get back, than I would have been with the group. And I was glad to have my lighting system operating, it was a very drab dark overcast, the very kind of day that I had designed the lighting to stand out in, plus the turn signals.

Hope EVERYBODY had a better day than I did.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Hi George,

First off, COOL BIKE!!! Coyote approves! :grin:

Next, I'm very sorry to hear about your terrible experience. It just stinks when there's a social fun ride and it isn't organized well enough where people in the back end up getting lost. in the rain and at night no less!

My first experience group riding with some more serious cyclist friends in High School was really terrible. They led me at a much faster pace than I was used to on my department store 10-speed and took me to a far and unknown area for me and then it started to rain...hard. The area was in Central Park; however I had never biked it before and it is very hilly. They basically didn't care to "wait for the slow guy" and pretty much left me for most of the time. Luckily one of my friends waited for me every once in a while. To add a cherry to the experience, there was horse poop on the road (Central Park Hansom cabs) and that dirty water was splashing up on me the whole miserable time. I vowed to not ride again with that group and also to get better.

I rode a lot on my own after that and with other casual cycling friends and eventually got an entry level "race" bike. I found that I was pretty good at hills and sprinting and eventually got good enough to lead my friends to Central Park and back (I think it was usually 15-20 mile rides). Note that this was also through NYC mid-town traffic on the weekends...really a cut throat riding situation back in the 80's. When I led, I always had a rule of "no one left behind" because I knew how much that stinks and it was my intention to enjoy the ride and share the experience with others...not to beat some inexperienced riders and make them hate cycling! I never understood those idiots who moan about slow riders and then make excuses when someone faster beats them (and unless you're top level, someone is always better than you).

What I used to do was make sure groups were together so that the back group (slower) had no one person alone...flats and accidents happen! Then I would move back and forth between the groups to check on everyone...I enjoyed the sprints up to the fast group and the "let's see how they've doing in the caboose" checks in the back group. Let me tell you...we seemed to end up waiting on the fast group more often (even though they seemed to complain more about the other group) since their skinny tubular tires were more often cut by road debris and it also took a lot more effort to change their flats.

My story may not change how you feel, but just realize that not all group rides are like that...similar to almost any other group activities...organizers are human and more often than not really going bonkers trying to organize everything, so they may not realize it when something goes awry.

Also bridges are tough...easy on the way down (watch speed especially when wet!), but the way up to the middle is a long climb. Hills are very humbling.

I hope you don't get discouraged and that you will have a better group ride next time. Imagine there was a newer rocketeer having a bad day at a launch (which happens)...would you tell them to give up or try again? :wink:

One more suggestion is to check with the organizer of a group ride before you join asking about the average pace expected or if it is a hilly ride (some may have route and elevation profiles!). Personally I would think that a Halloween fun ride should be really leisurely; however that didn't sound leisurely at all.

Last edited:
I'll post more later, but a few notes/corrections.

The ride was not at night. It started at 11 AM (30 mins late, partly due to weather, MOSTLY due to people getting make-up on and taking photos.

NO RUSH to leave, ya know....only rushing once on the road.....

My reference to lights was how my bike's lighting set-up is aimed at not just night use, but to make me more visible on drab overcast days when it's not as easy to notice a bike rider as it is in bright sunlight.

I've been on other group rides, I've mentioned them here, but not every single group ride. the C rides, they are slower and do wait. The only group ride that was not that way.... I had been invited on because it was closer to me but the person who invited me forgot it was a B group ride, and for 40 miles. She said she had an appointment later that day and needed to cut the ride short, so we could do 30 miles. I had not done more than 24 at that point. (she had been the one who invited me, and I suspect she might have fibbed about the appointment for my sake. Indeed by the time we got back, some of the other group riders had made it back ,they rode 20 miles in the time it took us to do 10. I was really dragging having worn my legs out earlier, she didn't save much if any time). So at some point the two of us split off from the rest of the group, got to the rest stop at the 20 mile mark, had a good stop, then she and I rode back directly for 10 miles rather than the 20 the rest of the group did. I learned from that, to find out more about the rides I do. And even though I was worn out terribly from that ride, I still thought of it as a positive thing, but one not to repeat.

Anyway, other C Group rides I've done, have not left people behind. If there is not a back sweeper, the group stops at the next turn till everyone catches up.

This ride was supposed to be split into separate B and C groups. But they all took off in one pack, which was fine. Except apparently they stayed in the same pack. The planned difference that I heard was the C group would have a SHORTER route of about 5 miles less, near the last third of the ride. So I am suspecting they stayed together as a pack until reaching that shortcut. I do know they SAID there would be a sweeper, and that this was a No Drop ride in the briefing, as well as stating No Drop in all of the previous announcements about this ride.

So it may be THEIR idea of a C ride was only about distance, not PACE. But it's been my experience that a few miles more on a 25-ish mile ride does not matter as much for being worn out as it is from the PACE (ignoring the issue of inclines, of course).

Again I do not know if there was an assigned sweeper who just plain FORGOT he was a sweeper, or what.

If there had been a sweeper, to help us to navigate to the rest stops, then we could have caught up with the group and simply not have had as long of a rest stop as everyone else.

I will note that the other guy left behind also was not in a costume. If the excuse ends up being that the sweeper didn't realize the two of us were with the ride group because of lack of costume, that would blow my top (costumes not required. And how the heck do they keep track of who is on a group ride and who is not for any other group rides?).

I will still do group rides, with the two weekly rides I've been doing (Missing today's due to other commitments, plan to do Wednesday's). But never this Halloween ride again (same bike club, BTW). Any other big rides, I'm going to contact the leader in advance to find out specifically what their plans and intentions are. And I'll provide this Halloween ride debacle as to why I'm asking.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Yah, you found out everyone's got a different definition of a "C" ride

When I was racing, it used to piss me off when someone in the C ride thought it was his stage of le tour and there was a maillot jaune waiting for him back at the start. Lame!
It doesn't matter if your a racer, a beginner whatever, C rides start and end with the same number of people! TOGETHER! I'd ride with my rec friends, sit on the front and make pace, one that everyone could hang at.
It's way more cool to hang and ride with your friends.

George, as you get stronger and more experienced you will be the leader of these rides - I hope you are one of those guys who remember being dropped and keep the group together.
That will make you one of the good guys :>

Here's a story.

When I raced, the first "real" club I belonged to had one training program, for the road racers and the crit guys. I was a lowly cat 4 crit rider, hills were the bane of my existence.
I was hanging fairly well until we got into the Berkshire's at about mile 60. The 2's and 3's pushed the pace so hard that I was dropped like a bad habit.
Worse of all, it was a cold, damp late winter day, about 40 for a high. On top of that I was lost, and outside of my normal riding areas. And riding on the edge of bonk.

A guy by the name of Keith Berger looped back to find me. The strongest rider of our club, by far.
He could have kept going and schooled the rest of the guys.

He rode me up to a DD where we stopped for hot chocolate and donuts.
We went out and he paced me all the way back
I respected that guy more then anyone else on the team.

That respect kept me on the team for another 5 years, until the year after he died from Leukemia.
I volunteer for the Keith Berger Memorial Race every year for the last 11 years.

rip Keith

I'm pretty sure I know which club you are riding with, and, from what I've heard (I've never ridden with them) this a fairly common occurrence on the larger and weekend rides. I've gotten to experience it first hand several times.

I live near the city center, a popular starting point for several of the rides in the western 'burbs. One of the favorites is to hit several of the hills on the way out or back, a pair of which are right by my house. For the C riders they will detour around the hills, which takes them past my street. On more than one occasion I've come back from an evening ride with 8-10 other riders following me, thinking that I'm the sweeper on their ride. I had a near violent confrontation with one group of riders when I blew past them on my way home. I usually will point them in the right direction but I've had riders yell at me for not riding with them like the sweeper is supposed to. And one of the most memorable is the one rider that was clearly lost and didn't have a clue which way to take the group he had with him. Yup, he was the sweeper.:lol: When I encounter these groups I usually ask which club they were riding with, and it is always the largest bike club in the area.

Thanks for the comments.

George, as you get stronger and more experienced you will be the leader of these rides - I hope you are one of those guys who remember being dropped and keep the group together.
That will make you one of the good guys :>

Thanks, but being a group leader won't be in the cards. My main hobbies are still rockets and R/C airplanes. Although the riding has taken up a lot of time and is a different thing to do, and I have no responsibilities of organizing anything for the riding. But if I did not need the exercise, I would not be doing it, it's just a more fun way to exercise. And my competitive nature has caused me to do a few special solo rides to set the bar higher. But otherwise I'm fine with doing 4 to 10 mile local rides, doing the 20-25-ish mile group rides a time or two a week, as weather and personal time allows. And the occasional exploration of a new trail. I guess sometime next spring I'll try riding much of the same route as the Halloween ride (every inch of that route was new to me), but by myself, properly prepared for navigation, and ride my own pace, stopping whenever, and doing it on a NICE day.

Anyway, if I ever was a group leader, sure, I'd want to avoid anything like that, make sure nobody gets dropped.

Thanks for sharing that great story about your late friend Keith Berger. Always great to meet and be part of the life of people like that.

Back to other things….

I have certainly had better results with the other group leaders of the other C rides I have been on. This is part of what shocked me so much. But again I do not know if the assigned sweeper just blew it, or what. Or if there were not any sweepers, the only online info I can now find says "stay-together" ride, not using the words no-drop. But then how can there be a stay-together ride when people are left behind? So I do not know if that was semantics, or what. Certainly everywhere else when a C ride is included, all C-rated rides are no-drop. And I am 99% sure that in the pre-ride briefing they said no drop, and that there would be a sweeper. They specifically invited riders of ALL KINDS on this ride, not just the hotshots and cliques.

Now, Mary, one of the two leaders of the two group rides I normally do, was at this one, but as a rider only, not an organizer (I didn't see her at the lunch after, but it was a crowded room and I wasn't trying to find her specifically anyway as by that point I pretty much wanted to get a bit to eat and leave). I'm trying to reach her to see if my recollection and understanding of what it was supposed to be, no-drop, with sweeper, is correct, or not, before contacting the organizers and perhaps club president since this was a highly promoted club ride.

I sent a copy of my TRF message to a very experienced cyclist friend of mine, who easily does 100 mile rides. His reply was interesting, and he gave me permission to share it.

Wow, sorry to hear about that lousy experience, especially after you'd invested so much time/effort into the buildup. I would definitely rant to the group leader or organizer, and would stress that if there's a minimum expected pace, they should announce and honor it. I've been on a few "no drop" rides, for example, where what they REALLY mean is "we expect to roll at 17 mph, and as long as you're doing at least 15-16 we won't drop you, but if you can't handle that, we're going to get all Darwin on you".

I've had a few similar experiences, unfortunately, especially frustrating with the crappy map thing. I paid about $100 for a pretty big charity ride in Michigan one year, draws something like 3000 riders, and it was terrible weather so a lot of no-shows. I was riding the 100 mile option, and the map was printed on a single sheet, did not even list turn by turn (cue sheet) directions. Imagine the resolution for 100 miles on single sheet, most of which is in the middle of nowhere on country roads, then of course the sheet gets wet, etc. Wait, you don't need to imagine it, you just experienced it :-(

Anyway, I think it was around that point when I sprung for the Garmin bike GPS device, though a decent smart phone app would have done the job if I'd had a smart phone. Now I almost never go on a group ride on an unfamiliar route if I haven't downloaded into the GPS. The heck with printed maps. The heck with relying on the leaders remembering every turn. The club had a policy for years where on their charity/fee rides they'd refuse to post the route online, or at best would publish the map but not the GPS file, claiming they didn't want freeloaders tagging along or "ghost riding". A number of us finally complained enough that they dropped that, so now we almost always have multiple riders with GPS devices, sooooo much better when the groups tend to spread out a bit and lots of people have the route.

- George Gassaway

Back to a more positive experience, so I'm posting this separately. One of the Sunday group rides, from Oct 25th (first group ride since the 71 mile solo ride the previous Tuesday).

I used a GoPro camera to record part of the first hour or so of the ride. Battery went dead early, as I had accidentally left it on after a test at home before leaving for the ride. But I had enough footage to put together a decent music video, certainly shows some of the variations of the trails. Also, at the end, informational audio from Cyclemeter that I get every mile.

- George Gassaway

[video=youtube;QuW0gN91chQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuW0gN91chQ[/video]

Last edited:
I see a reference to your tiring out your legs and a general concern about hills. I am curious how you are riding on the hills or overpasses. Are you peddling fast or slow?

I am thinking that you might want to reduce miles and work on strength.

I used to do a lot of training on hills. I like the downhill. My favorite was Tantalus which was a 5 mile climb and about 1500' elevation gain. You can find video's of the ride on you tube. Google tantalus bike ride.

The importance of it was learning the gearing and building strength.

I am not suggesting that you start taking on 5 mile hill climbs but maybe work on the small hills in your area with a short ride and a day or two of rest.

It really feels good to ride over a small hill or overpass like it was nothing.

The answer is twofold.

1. Rest days. Gotta have them. When I was twenty into thirty something, one day was enough. Then I hit 35, had to add another. You sound like you're "overtrained" I'd double the concern if you are feeling tired all the time, or if your resting heart rate is high.
2. Up hills, push into the first part, once it gets hard shift to an easier gear, one you can spin at at least 85, then shift once more Get your heels down (effectively lengthens the lever length)
Occasionally shift down one, stand up, rock the bike and stretch your legs - about 30 seconds and as you sit, shift up one
When you get to within about 100 feet of the top, shift down and stand.
I know that you're not a racer but this is a good way to climb successfully. The other thing is to find a big hill to train on. hills are all about power endurance.

ps I bet some day you're gonna go to a ride and find yourself as the one who's been riding the longest or knows the route the best, it happens to all of us :>

The answer is twofold.

1. Rest days. Gotta have them. When I was twenty into thirty something, one day was enough. Then I hit 35, had to add another. You sound like you're "overtrained" I'd double the concern if you are feeling tired all the time, or if your resting heart rate is high.
2. Up hills, push into the first part, once it gets hard shift to an easier gear, one you can spin at at least 85, then shift once more Get your heels down (effectively lengthens the lever length)
Occasionally shift down one, stand up, rock the bike and stretch your legs - about 30 seconds and as you sit, shift up one
When you get to within about 100 feet of the top, shift down and stand.
I know that you're not a racer but this is a good way to climb successfully. The other thing is to find a big hill to train on. hills are all about power endurance.

ps I bet some day you're gonna go to a ride and find yourself as the one who's been riding the longest or knows the route the best, it happens to all of us :>

I do rest after long rides…. long being 20 miles. Sometimes I've done a solo 10 on a Saturday then a group ride of 20-25. Monday after that….usually not, or just a 2 to 4 mile ride. Did 4 today to Target, mostly because the weather was so great it would be a shame to waste it, only had the time to do that before it started to get dark.

Ironic thing… I lost my tail on the ride back. Uh, the welded-on bracket on the rear rack for holding a light or reflector…. broke off. The PVC rear light assembly fell into the rear tire, jammed between the tire and rear rack (not a jam as in wheel stop, jam as in rubbing severely into the PVC pipe). I heard a very strange sound and felt a bit of "drag", so stopped quickly to find out that was what it was. Fortunately the wiring harness has a plug and socket assembly which allowed me to unplug the wiring and then put the rear light assembly into the front basket. At least it fell off less than a mile from home, so I had it operational for most of the ride thru busier road traffic. So….. need to get a couple of "L" brackets at Lowes and bolt that assembly more securely to the rear rack. I'd realized that welded-on bracket was weak, metal fatigue, and I think when I loaded up the bike onto the bike carrier on the car, it might have gotten stressed during the loading process. So, I expected I'd need to do this someday.

As for riding up hills, I've learned to try to speed up to carry momentum (tricky to do on a group ride, too many riders ahead of me do not do that so I often have to lay back to get the distance to approach the hill faster than than they do). And gear down sequentially in trying to achieve a decent balance of trying to provide some push-power, but not such a high gear for that speed that I'm stressing my legs. But usually with my 24 speed bike (3 x 8) I end up in 2 -1 or 1-1 (middle or lowest primary/pedal sprocket gear , and lowest gear (biggest sprocket) on the rear wheel).

I do not know how much of this is related to 40 years or more of being out-of-shape and weighing about 360 till the late 1990's, and 240 or more until the last 15 months, eventually to the 175-180 range. But I can say for sure, that every time I try to stand up to pedal, which I was able to do as a kid… I really can't. Something about the hip to thigh muscles, or my body trying to control the them (nerves?) as I attempt to pedal standing up. I do not have the power, and often I am about to veer out of control to one side. I do not mean the handlebar steering, I mean my body laterally moves itself left or right relative to the bike frame, and I am not trying to do that. Reminds me a bit of a newborn calf or fawn that tries to stand up for the first time, shaky legs and unstable. So the only time I really stand up is while coasting, usually down a slight hill, to "rest my seat". Now with more riding that will probably change. But for now, standing up to pedal is no good. I have less power and am close to going out of control. And I always feel like I've lost too much energy, particularly leg endurance, just from trying that. So it's a losing proposition on a group ride to even try it… I end up farther back with tired-er legs.

Maybe if I did some non-riding exercise of my legs. But if I tried say deep squats, I'd risk stressing my right knee. And frankly, again, I'm into the riding mainly for general exercise, not to do boring crappy gym type exercises. It'd be different if I suddenly had a passion to go riding mountains, and felt the competitive nature to do all sorts of crappy exercises to support that. But that's not what I'm into this for. I know, some good advice has been given, and it is appreciated.

I must say that if at some point I needed to choose between doing special exercises to help keep up with group rides so they would not need to stop so often for me, or stop doing group rides altogether, I'd stop doing any group rides.

However, none of that was really relative to the main issue of the Halloween ride. If there had not been that bridge to go over, I'd have been passed and left behind anyway, just not as soon. Indeed, it was AFTER going down that bridge that the last few riders passed me by. They sped up to catch up with the rest of the pack, at a pace about 1 mph more than I could keep up with without killing my legs for the rest of the trip. Ironically, the rest of the route was pretty flat, so this was not an issue of being left behind due to multiple climbs, it was an anti-social "social pace" for the C-riders to try to keep up with. And then no sweeper to help guide me and the other guy to the first rest stop so we could have caught up with the pack before they moved on.

FWIW - Wednesday group ride coming up and the weather looks nice (other than wind being 15-20), and I have the time, so I plan to do it. I'm hoping to talk to someone there who was on that ride, and try to be more sure of the facts, or what was supposed to happen, before I contact the people in charge of that ride.

BTW - I had the GoPro with me for the Halloween ride, but put a bag over it early to keep it from getting wet. Once I decided to bail on the route and get back to my car, it was not raining, so I decided to shoot video of the rest of the ride. Well…… some setting got changed and all I got was one photo, not a video (I thought I was going to get video plus a still pic every minute). Below is the pic. Seems it also got changed to wide-angle too, which I had not wanted for video. But that may have been unique to photo mode. Anyway, an unplanned but sort of interesting pic.

- George Gassaway

TqxTgXO.jpg

Last edited:
Got a reply to my message to the club president about the Halloween ride. Sorta got blown off, no acknowledgement of the part of the ride described as for riders of ALL levels, pretty much blamed me. While there was a C group, with sweepers, the president said I must have gotten in between the B group and the C group. But, everybody left together, B and C, there was no way that happened. The remaining C riders all passed me, including the sweepers (I had started near the back with maybe 6 to 8 people behind me).

They said the C group ended up with a 2 mph slower pace than the B group. That might be true, after 20-something miles ended, but meant nothing about the fast pace for the early part when C was with B (maybe strung out a bit, but they were all ahead of me and the other dropped rider). Also, it seems like their idea of a "pace" includes stoppage time, not riding pace, so if the C group stopped for a bit longer than B, that would have made the average pace slower even if they rode the same speed as the B group (However, from what I was later told by Mary, it seemed like the only time they really stopped at a stop was for a custome judging at a local bike shop at the 3rd stop).

And this was for a "fun" stay-together social pace ride!

Anyway, I shared a printout of the e-mails yesterday (Wednesday) with the two group leaders of the Wednesday and Sunday regular rides I usually do. One of them, Mary (who was on that ride and barely could keep up!) said that one result of this might be an emphasis on being more serious about "C" options on rides in the future, at least for the Halloween ride. There had been resistance to even have a C group at all on this ride, it was begrudgingly done and obviously without living up to the nature of a real C ride (seemed like the C ride was planned like a B ride of a shorter distance, never mind the pace). And, it turned out that the club president was actually on the same ride!

Oh well, whatever. I'm moving on from that. Posting this in part to wrap that up and do an update.

On to new stuff. Got in some more riding, but not as much due to weather and personal schedule and such (Sunday was nice but had other things to do so missed that group ride). Did get in the last two Wednesday group rides, some really NICE scenery yesterday but no time for pics during (wished I'd run the GoPro, but not worth doing that for every ride).

Most members of the group know about my rocket hobby stuff. I decided for the Wednesday ride, since it was a bit nippy, to wear my US Spacemodeling Team jacket, which I have only rarely worn when not taking part in a Spacemodeling Team activity. Not the best of photos, but at least I got it.

We were fortunate the sun was out for part of the ride, and that rain held off till an hour after the ride was over. My bike, still on the carrier rack, got soaked as I drove around (I had other places to go around town for a few hours after, while it rained and rained). But at least I put bags over the seat and over the electronics stuff (and put the iPhone 4S and batteries inside the car).

- George Gassaway

xMf2nXs.jpg

Last edited:
George:

Sorry about your difficult halloween ride. Unfortunately there's no standard of "C" "B" or "A" Some people are just hammer-heads. When I go to somewhere and ride with others, I generally ask "what do you mean by..." It's also uncool if they invited you and dropped you - totally unfriendly. Someone should have drifted back and rode with you.

Anyhow, now that you're bike is all clean, lube it! Get the pivot points on the brakes and the chain surface that hits the gears (so the top of the bottom part of the chain, the part from the cogs back to the chainring) as well as the pivot points on both derailleurs. For my mountain and cross bikes syn lube https://pedros.com/products/clean-and-lube/lubricants-and-grease/syn-lube/ road bike get go! https://pedros.com/products/clean-and-lube/lubricants-and-grease/go/

I generally bust out the orange peelz and a toothbrush (and hose) to remove the old crap with a light scrub then a quick low pressure spray off. You don't want to use full blast, neither is soaking in solvent good because chains are greased in the factory. I use pedros because it's biodegradable and you can do it in the front yard without causing any wife problems. Leave the rattle can of WD40 for your stuck liners.

Latest posts

Back