Scissors recommendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I need better scissors. I mean, I have good ones, but not good for doing really fine stuff.

In addition to needing smaller, finer blades, I think I need scissors with non-reflective surfaces, since my shiny stainless scissors create all sorts of reflections on the paper and it makes it impossible to see what I'm doing.

Anyone have any specific recommendations? There are *so many* precision scissors out there I don't know which are best specifically for precision cutting of paper and cardstock. Are non-stick blades good? They certainly are nicely black and non-reflective.

Any recommendations appreciated.

I just bought a package of three titanium-coated scissors from Costco for about $20. So far they seem to outperform most/all other scissors I have. Example: when cutting ziploc bags, they don't slip about nor does the plastic slide between the blades the way that most scissors do.

That being said, I've heard that good barber's scissors are extremely high quality. Wife bought a pair about 25 years ago (around $20 then) for cutting hair for me, herself, and our two daughters. They work like a dream. I would never use them for anything other than cutting hair.

Best -- Terry

So I went with the Cutter Bees linked above. So far so good. Wish I had thought to get them earlier, I've cut a lot of transitions that would have been a heck of a lot easier with them.
Scissors-1.jpg Scissors-2.jpg
I'm still limited by eyesight more than anything, can do my best work under a lit magnifier.

Now, anyone have plans for a Mars Lander paper model?

And if/when the time comes to sharpen your scissors, do NOT cut through a sheet of sandpaper several times! Despite that old tale, cutting through any abrasive material with scissors generally will dull the edges.

To sharpen scissors, one ordinarily does not grind/sharpen the flat surfaces that slide over one another, or not right away. The bevel at each cutting edge is what needs to be sharpened. If there are nicks in the cutting edge, the two flat surfaces are smoothed carefully with a good whetstone.

If cutting through sandpaper makes your scissors sharper, they were awfully---dangerously--- dull beforehand...

I've got a pair of 9" long shears made by the Ridgely Trimmer Co. England.

Joe Ostendorf, the Head Draftsman at a place I used to work, a prince of a guy, gave them to me when I was 24. Which is about 4 decades ago.

Everything from a sheet of printer paper to cutting a BT-300 length wise... they work great.

001.JPG005.JPG

I just bought a package of three titanium-coated scissors from Costco for about $20. So far they seem to outperform most/all other scissors I have. Example: when cutting ziploc bags, they don't slip about nor does the plastic slide between the blades the way that most scissors do.
I know I am replying to an old post but ....

We bought some of the Scotch scissors from Costco. They are very nice and have a lifetime warranty. I recommend them.

But ...after we wore out a half-dozen of them, I filed a warranty claim. True to their word, the manufacturer replaced them. But, they also asked if they could call us. When they did, they asked what the heck we were doing to their scissors. (Actually, the caller was very nice and genuinely interested in what the heck we were doing to their scissors.)

I explained that we were cutting Kevlar thread and occasionally sheets of Kevlar.

I guess there's an ad for DuPont. Even titanium doesn't hold up to Kevlar!

I've got a pair of 9" long shears made by the Ridgely Trimmer Co. England.

I got these Mundial shears from an estate sale. They are used for heavy paper and cardboard and fiberglass cloth, and I hide them from the rest of the family so they will have a long life🤫.

Rocketry items and scale for scale.

IMG_0475.JPG

For cutting sandpaper and other such abuses, I use a pair of scissors that I found in the road, which had already been run over by vehicles several times. I give them life by using them rather than throwing them in the trash.
Never found a pair of scissors to abuse.

To cut curved pieces of sandpaper, I'll use a utility knife or X-Acto then toss the blade when it's dull.

For cutting straight sheets, I use a jig similar to these:

https://www.instructables.com/Sandpaper-Cutter-1/

I've always used Gingher 7" scissors and their [4" embroidery scissors] 5" craft scissors for tight cuts. Fiskars makes good scissors as well.

Gingher Dressmaker's Fabric Scissors with Protective Sheath - 7" Stainless Steel Shears - Sharp Knife Edge Fabric Scissors - Silver
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UUCA6W

Last edited:
I've always used Gingher 7" scissors and their [4" embroidery scissors] 5" craft scissors for tight cuts. Fiskars makes good scissors as well.

Gingher Dressmaker's Fabric Scissors with Protective Sheath - 7" Stainless Steel Shears - Sharp Knife Edge Fabric Scissors - Silver
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UUCA6W
"miskate-free tabletop cutting" ... :dontknow:

miskate.jpg

Back