Quantcast

Scissors recommendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I need better scissors. I mean, I have good ones, but not good for doing really fine stuff.

In addition to needing smaller, finer blades, I think I need scissors with non-reflective surfaces, since my shiny stainless scissors create all sorts of reflections on the paper and it makes it impossible to see what I'm doing.

Anyone have any specific recommendations? There are *so many* precision scissors out there I don't know which are best specifically for precision cutting of paper and cardstock. Are non-stick blades good? They certainly are nicely black and non-reflective.

Any recommendations appreciated.

AfterBurners

Reaction score
The ones I use have titanium blades. I don't think they were too expensive. Maybe under $15

Last edited:

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a package of three titanium-coated scissors from Costco for about $20. So far they seem to outperform most/all other scissors I have. Example: when cutting ziploc bags, they don't slip about nor does the plastic slide between the blades the way that most scissors do.

That being said, I've heard that good barber's scissors are extremely high quality. Wife bought a pair about 25 years ago (around $20 then) for cutting hair for me, herself, and our two daughters. They work like a dream. I would never use them for anything other than cutting hair.

Best -- Terry

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So I went with the Cutter Bees linked above. So far so good. Wish I had thought to get them earlier, I've cut a lot of transitions that would have been a heck of a lot easier with them.
Scissors-1.jpg
Scissors-2.jpg

I'm still limited by eyesight more than anything, can do my best work under a lit magnifier.

Now, anyone have plans for a Mars Lander paper model?

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This pair I just got had s very sharp point, so definitely good advice there. :)

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
And if/when the time comes to sharpen your scissors, do NOT cut through a sheet of sandpaper several times! Despite that old tale, cutting through any abrasive material with scissors generally will dull the edges.

To sharpen scissors, one ordinarily does not grind/sharpen the flat surfaces that slide over one another, or not right away. The bevel at each cutting edge is what needs to be sharpened. If there are nicks in the cutting edge, the two flat surfaces are smoothed carefully with a good whetstone.

If cutting through sandpaper makes your scissors sharper, they were awfully---dangerously--- dull beforehand...