Rusto primer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swifted

Reaction score
Just wondering if other folks are having trouble with the rustloleum 2x primer cans clogging up. Less than a minute into spraying the paint starts coming out like I’m slinging it off of a paintbrush and then it just stops. I changed the nozzle twice, even drilled the nozzle out, no paint. This was a brand new can and the second time this has happened with this paint. Seems that the paint is drying in the internal valve in the can while it’s in use.

Can't say I've had that with a new can, but definitely with used ones that have sat around. Even after being shaken vigorously for 2 minutes.

I am considering storing them on their sides, not upright, to see if that makes any difference.
Maybe they got “tested” in the store before I got them. I’ll probably just switch to the automotive primer you can get at the parts store. That stuff never seems to mess up.

When Rusto 2X works it’s pretty good stuff, however my results have been so inconsistent I’m phasing it out of my inventory - as a color is used up it’s not getting replaced with more Rusto, mostly going with Ace Hardware Premium.

I’ve had the most consistent results with Rusto Auto High Build Filler Primer - the high solids content really fills in last of the spirals after being filled..

When Rusto 2X works it’s pretty good stuff, however my results have been so inconsistent I’m phasing it out of my inventory - as a color is used up it’s not getting replaced with more Rusto, mostly going with Ace Hardware Premium.

I’ve had the most consistent results with Rusto Auto High Build Filler Primer - the high solids content really fills in last of the spirals after being filled..
I had enough trouble with rusto spray paint eating the previous layers that I invested in a 4oz hvlp spray gun for acrylics which are way cheaper anyway.

I guess I should source a water based primer I can use in that spray gun also. Pretty frustrating to spend 5 bucks on a can of spray paint that is only good for one day of use

My last new can Had a plugged nozzle and then after I used it i told my wife it would be the very last time I use Rustoleum primer it's way too thin there's no solids hardly at all in it :mad:

It's strange, rustolium 2X primer takes forever to dry, however it gives good results for me when used on 3D printed nosecones. It's worhless for anything else.

It's strange, rustolium 2X primer takes forever to dry, however it gives good results for me when used on 3D printed nosecones. It's worhless for anything else.
The grey primer (Rustoleum Filler and Sandable) takes a while to dry in my experience, but once dry, it sands well.

The black primer (Rustoleum Sandable) dries very quickly, and it's cheaper, too. But it supposedly offers less "build" than the grey stuff.

Thanks for all the replies. I went with the rusto high build automotive primer. Seems to be working better than the other stuff I had. Hurt my feelings a little bit at the checkout, I seem to spend more on paint than I do on the rocket itself.

I've thought that many, many times when building scale rockets and using the little cans of Tamiya or Testors paint. Painting a two color sport rocket is much, much cheaper :)

-Bob

Just wondering if other folks are having trouble with the rustloleum 2x primer cans clogging up. Less than a minute into spraying the paint starts coming out like I’m slinging it off of a paintbrush and then it just stops. I changed the nozzle twice, even drilled the nozzle out, no paint. This was a brand new can and the second time this has happened with this paint. Seems that the paint is drying in the internal valve in the can while it’s in use.
I can't remember the last time I emptied a Rusto can, they all clog up on me. Yesterday I emptied a can of Ace Hardware brand. I buy that now instead of Rusto.

I have had a tiny bit of success by soaking Rusto nozzles in acetone then blowing them out and using a thin piece of wire from the bottom to pull clogs out of the vertical tube. One or 2 cans were helped by dripping some acetone into the little tube that sticks up out of the top of the can. I might get a can going well enough for a small amount of painting then they clog again,

Back