$&(&*^#$^ spray primer !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some spray cans just slowly leak their propellant over time, and it is possible that propellant leaked in a new can. You can usually tell if the propellant is gone by shaking the can. A can with a full charge of propellant sounds different, sort of like it was filled with a fine slurry of ice. A can with little or no propellant will sound like it was full of water. So at the very least, shake the cans and listen when you’re buying new. Avoid any can that sounds different than the rest.

if the paint has been stored in a cold garage (or worse, a freezing one), ten minutes in hot water is not going to be enough time if the can is relatively full. I have a small heating pad with adjustable temperature setting I bought on Amazon (Pure Enrichment XL heating pad) that I roll the can up in, set for level 2 and let sit for at least 30 minutes with a couple of shakes in between. This makes a huge difference and with a heated can you shouldn’t run out of propellant before you run out of paint.

In between painting sessions the heating pad is enjoyed by my cat and my cold fanny.

I use the hot water bath method when the can clogs. I'm also using the tin can method for shaking the can. I use a tissue in the can to keep the paint stable. I then use a towel to spin the can on that also shakes the paint.

B0D89661-3E26-453D-8EA4-7344AF62BA65.jpeg

Back