SEM Primer Filler Spitting, Why?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarsLander

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sprayed some SEM high build primer on a spare FWFG tube because I wanted to test some colors over white.

I've never seen/had SEM spit like this. Can is newly purchased, was warmed, rattled for 2 minutes, and "presprayed" for a couple seconds before it hit the part. Sprayed in 70 degree workshop. It always works. Never had this happen...Thoughts? Did SEM caps/tips change? Good caps/tips out there aftermarket? @cwbullet @Hobie1dog @SkyFire

IMG_0177.jpeg

IMG_0178.jpeg

Last edited:
If you bought the can local, I would take it back and get another can. It's likely the nozzle has a problem not allowing the full pressure to atomize the primer.
BUT...... It could also be low on pressure in the can due to the faulty filling at the factory, or a very small leak over time as you've probably experienced spitting on other spray cans once they get way down in pressure.

Last edited:
I use SEM high build exclusively and I have seen this a couple of times when the nozzle gets dirty. The spray tip on the SEM cans is very small and the primer dries quickly so they tend to clog easily. When I finish off a can of primer, I keep the old tips and have had to swap them out from time to time. In all of the cans I've used, I've only had one can that was low pressure and SEM gladly sent me a replacement can.

Back