Rotary selector switch for multi ignition circuit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astronot

Reaction score
I saw this in a 1971 Centuri Catalog and it made me wonder why people don't use this same design these days.

Centuri Multi Ignition Circuit. The launch controller I'm refering to is the circuit drawing just left of center in the header.

It seems simple enough to build and uses less parts than most of today's multi ignition launchers.

Just curious,

David

Nope, it lets you select one pad (out of many) at a time. It's old school cool, if you ask me. But it does have the potential drawback of making drag races impossible.

Good point about the drag races. I hadn't thought of that. I guess you could have one channel that would make all ignition leads hot.

David

Last edited:
The rotary selector switch was also featured in Estes publications such as "Model Rocket Launch Systems". I don't recall if it was specifically offered in an Estes catalogue or not; but "back in the day" I know it was available from Radio Shack. While "drag racing" with it would indeed require a dedicated dual-pad circuit, the real fun about the switch was that by holding down the launch button and quickly rotating the pad selector switch you could do a "cascade" launch of rockets.:wink:

I saw this in a 1971 Centuri Catalog and it made me wonder why people don't use this same design these days.

Centuri Multi Ignition Circuit. The launch controller I'm refering to is the circuit drawing just left of center in the header.

It seems simple enough to build and uses less parts than most of today's multi ignition launchers.

Just curious,

David

Dave:
Many of us Do use multi deck, multi position rotary switches in our club launch controllers. Narhams has 4 differents systems using single, 2 and 3 deck Rotary switches. I also just a few months ago refurbished-rebuilt the system used at the Public Mod-Roc launches at Nasa Goddard Space Flight Center. Rotary Swtiches do make wiring Multi pad Racks and individual away pads a bit less cumbersume but can be on the expensive side if using Rotary swticheds with 10-15amp contacts, needed for Heavy use systems.
Over the years I've found ElectroSwitch companies Multi Deck rotary's hold up under Heavy club use. We generally purchase ours through Allied Electric www.alliedelec.com
One caution about the typical 3amp contact rotary switches from Radio shack and others. They do not hold up well under more the light duty use.

About Drag Racing: It is possible to wire two or three away Pads such that the rotary switch pad selection system can be used for Drag Race launches. On all Narhams away system splitter boxes we have an extra lead plug in to allow two model Drag Races.
Hope these photos help.
Edit: Added 3pole,3deck 12 position 02-18-14

Rotary Switches-a-sm_3 &20amp(110dpi)_07-30-06.jpg

Rotary Switch-a_1deck12pos C4D0112N-AElectroSwitch_06-20-09.JPG

Rotary Switch-b_2deck12pos C4D0212N-AElectroSwitch_06-20-09.JPG

View attachment GSFC-c_Controller 3-Rack Wiring Diagram(pdf)(x5)_09-23-2013.pdf

GSFC-n3_Panel Rewiring internal view Finished_09-21-13.jpg

GSFC-q4_Panel & Base Complete & fully Tested AOK_09-28-13.jpg

Rotary Switch-c_3deck12 posC4D0312N-AElectroSwitch_09-19-13.JPG

Last edited:
Back