Tripoli booting FAR?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to stay out of this but I have a technical questions. That video looks much closer than 1/2 mile. 1/2 mile is far enough away to barely see anything unless a good camera lens is used. Also the sound would take approximately 2 seconds to reach the observer at that distance. I could not detect much sound delay in the video but it is hard to tell. Can you provide any details or confirmation on how far that video is from?
Are you looking at the video John posted with the school bus in the image? It's a little more than 1 and less than 2 seconds from the time of the flash to the sound.
It's 11 seconds between the time of the flash and the time the burning propellant hits the roof of the quonset hut so it got some altitude.

Trying to stay out of this but I have a technical questions. That video looks much closer than 1/2 mile. 1/2 mile is far enough away to barely see anything unless a good camera lens is used. Also the sound would take approximately 2 seconds to reach the observer at that distance. I could not detect much sound delay in the video but it is hard to tell. Can you provide any details or confirmation on how far that video is from?
The main observation is that they're off the FAR property in order to be at a safe distance as an observer.

5280 ft divided by 1100 ft/sec = 4.8s per mile.
At 1.5s that's 1650ft or 0.31 miles
At 2.0s that's 2200ft or 0.42 miles
So the school bus group is at the approximate TRA safety distance of 2000ft with a time-delay of ~1.8s.

A group was about 1/2 miles or so away and took this video. You can see how far some of the grain were projected. One grain went through the skylight of the prep building and started a fire inside.

This also shows why 2000 ft is a good safe distance.

That is a great video to illustrate safe spectator distance. It is pretty scary watching the burning parts land on the shelter / bunker.

FWIW, the folks from Johns video appear to be a bit closer.

1714575279851.png

Stepping through the 30fps video:
Frame 97: Puff of smoke visible
Frame 98: Flash from the cato (see screenshot)
Frame 99: Flash starts to dim
Frame 113: First audio signature (people exclaiming "Oh")
Frame 121: Sound of cato

So it took about 23 frames (767ms) for the sound to arrive, which would put the observers at a distance of about 263m / 863ft.

Disclaimer 1: The audio and video channels might be out of sync
Disclaimer 2: When it comes to video editing, I'm an untrained monkey. I never used an editing tool like that before (Kdenlive, for those interested)

Reinhard

Well, that particular P cato. If metallic fragments are projected at the right angle with enough force, there's no reason they couldn't make it 1000 ft.
If high-density, non-ductile (fragmenting) materials were allowed, there's a probability a piece could reach 1000ft ballistically. For TRA-allowed materials, it's rather impossible. The piece would need a high ballistic coeffient (mass/area) or it needs to be a propulsive object.

Are you looking at the video John posted with the school bus in the image? It's a little more than 1 and less than 2 seconds from the time of the flash to the sound.
It's 11 seconds between the time of the flash and the time the burning propellant hits the roof of the quonset hut so it got some altitude.
That is the video I was referring to.
FWIW, the folks from Johns video appear to be a bit closer.

View attachment 643241

Stepping through the 30fps video:
Frame 97: Puff of smoke visible
Frame 98: Flash from the cato (see screenshot)
Frame 99: Flash starts to dim
Frame 113: First audio signature (people exclaiming "Oh")
Frame 121: Sound of cato

So it took about 23 frames (767ms) for the sound to arrive, which would put the observers at a distance of about 263m / 863ft.

Disclaimer 1: The audio and video channels might be out of sync
Disclaimer 2: When it comes to video editing, I'm an untrained monkey. I never used an editing tool like that before (Kdenlive, for those interested)

Reinhard
Around 1000 ft is what I suspect the distance is as well.

Alex, the thread is old. The info on the TRA website is current. The launch needs to be "insured", which means the form to get landowner permission. I'm not going to rehash this all again.

@Steve Shannon
In light of this incident, will Tripoli be reinstating the larger research safe distances that were removed from the Tripoli unified code?

Last edited:
No. For a P motor the TUSC safe distance is already set at 2000 feet.
And we're confident that no debris made it past 2000ft in any direction from this incident? Has anyone walked the site to look? This would be a good opportunity to check that safe distances are safe, through monitoring of a RUD to look for evidence that we are safe.

And we're confident that no debris made it past 2000ft in any direction from this incident? Has anyone walked the site to look? This would be a good opportunity to check that safe distances are safe, through monitoring of a RUD to look for evidence that we are safe.
Your question is posed as a "what-if" scenario. "What if grasshoppers carried pistols?... Then birds wouldn’t mess with them!”

Let's not cause anymore unnecessary work for the BOD. There is no problem to solve for here that the current safe distances don't already address.

Your question is posed as a "what-if" scenario. "What if grasshoppers carried pistols?... Then birds wouldn’t mess with them!”

Let's not cause anymore unnecessary work for the BOD. There is no problem to solve for here that the current safe distances don't already address.
There WAS a P cato. There's no "what if", the question is "what has occurred?" We have the opportunity to learn from it. Checking the debris field is one of those things that needs to be done to validate the safe distances we use.

Those safe distances were recently brought back for experimental motors to the same as commercial motors.

Although this was NOT a Tripoli launch, Tripoli has the opportunity to validate their own safety distances. Failure to do so would be a missed opportunity. P catos don't occur that often so the data set we're using cannot be that large for our safety assurance.
An easy way to do it would be with a drone survey, record the footage, and make it available for review by members. Anything interesting found could be detailed by time stamp. Drones can record GPS coordinates into the footage.
Then the only thing that needs investigating is at a known location.
Examination of this seems like the required due diligence.
John de Mar is a member and is on the Tripoli Research Committee. He would be well qualified to do this, if he's up for it.

Last edited:
There WAS a P cato. There's no "what if", the question is "what has occurred?" We have the opportunity to learn from it. Checking the debris field is one of those things that needs to be done to validate the safe distances we use.

Those safe distances were recently brought back for experimental motors to the same as commercial motors.

Although this was NOT a Tripoli launch, Tripoli has the opportunity to validate their own safety distances. Failure to do so would be a missed opportunity. P catos don't occur that often so the data set we're using cannot be that large for our safety assurance.
An easy way to do it would be with a drone survey, record the footage, and make it available for review by members. Anything interesting found could be detailed by time stamp. Drones can record GPS coordinates into the footage.
Then the only thing that needs investigating is at a known location.
Examination of this seems like the required due diligence.
John de Mar is a member and is on the Tripoli Research Committee. He would be well qualified to do this, if he's up for it.

Ehh, there's P (and larger) CATOs at BALLS every year that they could be looking at if they needed to. I don't know the exact success rate, but I know it isn't very high. At least people are further away, and I say that as someone who has attended plenty of both FAR and TRA events and plans to go to more of both.

Like that "most" Birds don't mess with Bumble Bees or Wasps/Hornets?

I think there is something coded in the natural ROM instinct that yellow/black strips mean do not bite or eat it.

I also think that it is smart for Tripoli to distance itself from FAR.

this vaguely seems like NAR vs Tripoli in the early days. I understand the insurance/safety issue, but maybe we shouldn't draw lines in the sand.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's picked up on the historical parallel.

Not to get technical or anything, but here is what NASA and the Feds have to say about QD (quantity distance – safe distances based on quantity of explosives):

https://standards.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/standards/NASA/A/2/nasa-std-871912a_with_change_2.pdf

"SAFETY STANDARD FOR EXPLOSIVES, PROPELLANTS, AND PYROTECHNICS"

It lists the regulations that NASA and its contractors have to follow regarding safe distances when storing or handling explosives that may create fragments that can cause either injury or fire.

Just FYI.

Tony

from page 99 of the document:
test-stand.png

Last edited:
Not to get technical or anything, but here is what NASA and the Feds have to say about QD (quantity distance – safe distances based on quantity of explosives):

https://standards.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/standards/NASA/A/2/nasa-std-871912a_with_change_2.pdf

"SAFETY STANDARD FOR EXPLOSIVES, PROPELLANTS, AND PYROTECHNICS"

It lists the regulations that NASA and its contractors have to follow regarding safe distances when storing or handling explosives that may create fragments that can cause either injury or fire.

Just FYI.

Tony

from page 99 of the document:
View attachment 643411
Thanks for sharing this! If I understand this correctly, the standards use a cube root for distance. Table 5-10 has 84 feet for 100 pounds of propellant? That seems way too close. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this! If I understand this correctly, the standards use a cube root for distance. Table 5-10 has 84 feet for 100 pounds of propellant? That seems way too close. Am I missing something?
Table 5-10 is for intraline distances:

"Intraline Distance. The minimum distance allowed between any two operating locations or other designated exposures. This distance is expected to prevent propagation."

So that's just the distance required to prevent 100 pounds from propagating to another stored area of explosives (TNT). You have to use other information in that document to find the safe distance for workers. I'm happy with the TRA rules, so I'll leave it up to someone more interested to figure out what the safe distance is based on that document.

As I like to say: it's way above my pay grade.

Tony

Table 5-10 is for intraline distances:

"Intraline Distance. The minimum distance allowed between any two operating locations or other designated exposures. This distance is expected to prevent propagation."

So that's just the distance required to prevent 100 pounds from propagating to another stored area of explosives (TNT). You have to use other information in that document to find the safe distance for workers. I'm happy with the TRA rules, so I'll leave it up to someone more interested to figure out what the safe distance is based on that document.

As I like to say: it's way above my pay grade.

Tony
I am very curious to see what the NASA standards says regarding standoff distances. I will try to read it in detail when I get a chance.

I mean something developed by professionals who either did some rigorous analysis or empirical testing to create solid models. Amateurs might have something rigorous as well but I am hoping for something similar to what Tony posted. The Tripoli distances, based off the NFPA distances were just "looks about right" and no real analysis was done. This is my understanding from talking to NFPA committee members who were around in the original NFPA 1127 write up.

I go out to FAR a couple of times a year, and I can assure you that they are VERY safety conscious. Those who think that they are not have obviously not been there, and should not be commenting on their procedures. Yes, they are different from Tripoli... but that does not make them unsafe.

The Tripoli distances, based off the NFPA distances were just "looks about right" and no real analysis was done.
Not true. The safe distances for model rockets has its foundation in an analysis done at MIT. There are plenty of other models out there for blast field prediction based on energy, action time, material size and density. There have also been tests to verify the models (NM Tech in Socorro has done this work). I'm not going to point to them on the open web. Make whatever conclusion you want, but educate yourself first.

Not true. The safe distances for model rockets has its foundation in an analysis done at MIT. There are plenty of other models out there for blast field prediction based on energy, action time, material size and density. There have also been tests to verify the models (NM Tech in Socorro has done this work). I'm not going to point to them on the open web. Make whatever conclusion you want, but educate yourself first.
There are plenty of studies on High Explosives. Storing them in a bunker and how far the earth would fly if it went woops.

There are studies with a suitcase bomb that would put the distance at over 2000ft with a smaller quantity of energetics than we use weight wise in a P.
Now APCP is not HE and no-one is deliberately loading ball bearings.
So reviewing an incident to establish that those safety distance rules/guidelines are still valid is reasonable.
And that would seem like due diligence and that gives you confidence in the standards.

Back