Rocksim 9 motors gone missing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpoehlein

Reaction score
I've never had too many issues with Rocksim before, but this is strange. All of a sudden, I can't load motors into a design. The motor files are there, I can open all of them with Engedit, but when I go to pick a motor, the list is blank. I even tried reloading the files, installing a new version of the aerotech file and selecting view all motors (even those that won't fit the motor mount). I upgraded to OSX Lion last week, and I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not - the motors loaded at first, but then when I tried to load a smaller Estes motor into a larger mount, the Estes motors and Aerotech motors disappeared (well, all but ONE Aerotech motor - the F27R does show up but that's it! Now, all motors except the F27R are gone. Oh, and they disappeared before the last upgrade, and did not come back after the upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Have you attempted to import a single engine, lately (particularly the F27)? I once tried to do this, and discovered that if you do it the logical (to me) way, you end up overwriting the ENTIRE engine database, with that single engine. This was not on a Mac, though.

I was able to rollback to the original database (File, Reload Engine Data, IIRC). Checking there now, I see several files -Aerotech.rse, Estes.rse; etc. You should see them on the left, and then move them to the right list. If they don't show up, you'll probably have to manually click the "Import Files" button and locate the proper directory which houses the .rse files.

Good Luck!

That's the weird thing - the motors are still there as I can open the files with Engedit just fine. They just don't show up when I try to load one into a rocket. I've got a nasty feeling this may be an issue with Lion.

Is Rocsim supposed to come with motor files for all approved motors? Very often when I try to load a motor in a simulation that I got from a manufacturer's website or from someone's personal Rocsim file, I get a motor not found error. It's usually an Aerotech or CTI motor.

One other thing that bugs me about Rocsim is the constant prompts to save the file even when no changes have been made.

I had the same problem. Simple solution though. Lion copied and move my engine data folder. Just go under File/Reload engine data... and changed the path to the correct engine data.

If you have lost your High Power motors go to Rocketry Planet forums Rocketry Software RockSim to pick up the Manufactures you need.

That's just it - the engine files are still there (in the data folder) and I can open them in Engedit just fine. But each manufacturer's motor library shows up as empty when I try to select a motor for the sim. For example, if I try to load an Estes motor in the Alpha III sim, the Estes name is there, but selecting it just presents me with a completely blank slate - no motors to choose from.

I've tried removing and reinstalling them, I've tried importing and selecting the path to the folder and I even deleted the whole folder and put a new copy from a backup into the Applications folder (remember, this is Macintosh OS X Lion we're talking about here, not Windows). I've run the update and have the newest version installed. Nothing seems to work.

An update on this issue: I finally got a chance to send a note to Apogee last night. I already got a response from Tim at Apogee. Apparently an overly sensitive manufacturer filter in the motor selection screen is the culprit. To get the motors back, select no manufacturer (the blank option at the top) and no type. All available motors from all companies will show up, but you can select motors again!

Back