Ejection Delay Differences in Rocksim

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 10.37.50 AM.png
I recently got Rocksim and I'm in the process of building the Semper Fi from LOC. It's not finished yet, so I'm using the standard Rocksim file from LOC to understand a few things about choosing an ejection delay. I'm trying to understand why the CTI H143 optimal delay changes when I change the custom delay? I've changed nothing else other than running another simulation with the same motor and changing the custom delay. As you can see, when I change the custom delay the optimal delay changes as well. In the simulations above, I've run multiple simulations and gotten an optimal delay that varies by almost 4 seconds. What am I missing here? Looking at the velocity at deployment the 10 second delay seems optimal but I'm still unsure why Rocksim would be telling me that a 6 second delay is optimal just because that's what I selected, even though that puts deployment at over 100mph. In general, what is a safe range for mph at deployment?

I believe the "optimal" delay is just the delay needed to reach apogee on that particular flight. If you look closely at the result column, the parachutes contain an up-pointing arrow. That means the parachute deployed while the rocket was still ascending. Once the parachute is out apogee will be reached very quickly! Try some longer delays until you get a downward arrow. That "optimal" delay will be what you want.

Back