Looks like Tesla is now distributing their Cybertrucks--- thoughts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugliest vehicle ever, hands down. Looks like it was designed by a six year old with construction paper, scissors, and tape.

There are lots of Tesla dealers around here. The difference is that Tesla owns them, they are not independent businesses like most traditional car dealers.
There is a reason it looks that way, and that is a big part of why Tesla is able to turn a profit on their vehicles while most other manufacturers lose money with every sale. Engineers gush over the design choices for their genius simplicity. Is the Cybertruck perfect, no one including the heads at Tesla would say that. Can it serve most needs of a truck buyer, absolutely, and it will be years before they can satisfy the demand for version 1.0 of this product. As battery energy density increases, and it is increasing at a significant rate, towing distances will no longer be an issue. As it stands now, I could tow a travel trailer with the Cybertruck to launches and never need a generator. It also can provide backup power for my home in a storm. Can power tools on the job site, etc. It amazes me the hatred for a product that is so obviously revolutionary.

It seems to be intended to appeal to the majority (in the U.S; does NOT apply to rocketeers!) who want to own and drive a truck but have no intention of using a truck.

There is a small minority who owns (well...owned :( ) a truck for its intended purpose. The bed of my Mazda B3000 was badly scratched and dented and had some surface rust. Wasn't big but it hauled multiple loads of sand, mulch, 2x4s, manure (composted, thank Odin!), and trash. And, of course, rockets. I'm pretty sure that I've got a lot of company on this list. Am not sure I've ever seen a big, shiny, new-looking pickup loaded with manure or random garbage. At least not around here.

I've seen clips of the bed cover of the cyber-monstrosity slamming down. Decapitation might possibly be in my future but it is not on my bucket list. And a clip that showed the driver, parked, turning the steering wheel back-and-forth. One front tire followed the motion, the other just wobbled a bit. Maybe it was a deepfake, I don't know.

And with that body style...WHERE will you set down your beer when you're tailgating??:D

There is a reason it looks that way, and that is a big part of why Tesla is able to turn a profit on their vehicles while most other manufacturers lose money with every sale. Engineers gush over the design choices for their genius simplicity. Is the Cybertruck perfect, no one including the heads at Tesla would say that. Can it serve most needs of a truck buyer, absolutely, and it will be years before they can satisfy the demand for version 1.0 of this product. As battery energy density increases, and it is increasing at a significant rate, towing distances will no longer be an issue. As it stands now, I could tow a travel trailer with the Cybertruck to launches and never need a generator. It also can provide backup power for my home in a storm. Can power tools on the job site, etc. It amazes me the hatred for a product that is so obviously revolutionary.
Towing range with ALL e-Trucks is abysmal.

It seems to be intended to appeal to the majority (in the U.S; does NOT apply to rocketeers!) who want to own and drive a truck but have no intention of using a truck.

There is a small minority who owns (well...owned :( ) a truck for its intended purpose. The bed of my Mazda B3000 was badly scratched and dented and had some surface rust. Wasn't big but it hauled multiple loads of sand, mulch, 2x4s, manure (composted, thank Odin!), and trash. And, of course, rockets. I'm pretty sure that I've got a lot of company on this list. Am not sure I've ever seen a big, shiny, new-looking pickup loaded with manure or random garbage. At least not around here.

I've seen clips of the bed cover of the cyber-monstrosity slamming down. Decapitation might possibly be in my future but it is not on my bucket list. And a clip that showed the driver, parked, turning the steering wheel back-and-forth. One front tire followed the motion, the other just wobbled a bit. Maybe it was a deepfake, I don't know.

And with that body style...WHERE will you set down your beer when you're tailgating??:D
How does a bed cover that rolls out in tracks "slam down"? I seriously doubt the veracity of your claim.

Not trying to argue with you... just stating a fact. That's why I have a Tacoma...
No worries. Just odd the response was to me, since I said specifically with future battery density increases towing distance won't be an issue. CATL is actually running a battery in some cars now that more than doubles the energy density of what is in Cybertruck, and we are still in infancy when it comes to this.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the group of people who use a truck as a daily driver instead of a workhorse consists of a large portion of tesla haters/rolling smoke types. I doubt they'd go electric considering... I think the design was just a shot in the dark, odd for shock and awe, but it looks like it belongs in the 80s with the angular look. I don't know who the cybertruck was designed to appeal to because it seems to have missed the mark for truck owners and evidently doesn't have a mass appeal to everyone else; even despite its redeeming features. It reminds me of the chevy ssr in the early 2000s; it wasn't a very popular design and it was an odd truck that was more aesthetic (not in a necessarily pleasant way) than utilitarian.

It's ugly, and I wouldn't want one. But I applaud it for being different and actually having looks. Love it or hate it, at least it stands out from the sea of sameness that's out there.

Which is a step up for Tesla, whose designs after the S have all somehow been both butt-ugly and bland sameness. (The S is decent looking and the Roadster is a Lotus.)

Meh. Not for me.

But you know what?

There are a LOT of cars that other people like that I think are stupid, or ugly, or foolish, or something else.

But you know what else?

I don't care. They didn't spend my money, and I don't have to drive them. If you spend your money, and it makes *you* happy, then more power to you. It's that diversity that makes the economy work.

It looks like something out of the Nintendo 64 era,
that was just what I was thinking!

I don’t hate it actually, I do think that it’s bed is to small for use. Also it was marketed to tech people and in my experience truck owners are not tech people.

I'm pretty sure the group of people who use a truck as a daily driver instead of a workhorse consists of a large portion of tesla haters/rolling smoke types. I doubt they'd go electric considering... I think the design was just a shot in the dark, odd for shock and awe, but it looks like it belongs in the 80s with the angular look. I don't know who the cybertruck was designed to appeal to because it seems to have missed the mark for truck owners and evidently doesn't have a mass appeal to everyone else; even despite its redeeming features. It reminds me of the chevy ssr in the early 2000s; it wasn't a very popular design and it was an odd truck that was more aesthetic (not in a necessarily pleasant way) than utilitarian.

The Chevy SSR was supposed to compete with PT Cruiser for Aesthetics; except it didn't still appeal to them.

I think they are going back for the Future in the Cyber Truck. It would look good next to a DeLorean. I say that in a good way.

The Chevy SSR was supposed to compete with PT Cruiser for Aesthetics; except it didn't still appeal to them.

I think they are going back for the Future in the Cyber Truck. It would look good next to a DeLorean. I say that in a good way.
Says a lot when the PT cruiser still sells better considering the PT cruiser isn't a sought after car lmao

I can see the delorean comaprison. That's probably the best positive comparison I've heard to the cybertruck.... not enough to make me want it though.

The recall, mainly.

Teslas have brake-throttle override, where stepping on the brake pedal will override whatever command is coming from the accelerator pedal. One can also shift to Neutral. The press multiple times on or hold the start/stop button for several seconds doesn't apply, because they have auto-wake up instead of a button to press. But hardly a death trap.

Teslas have brake-throttle override, where stepping on the brake pedal will override whatever command is coming from the accelerator pedal. One can also shift to Neutral. The press multiple times on or hold the start/stop button for several seconds doesn't apply, because they have auto-wake up instead of a button to press. But hardly a death trap.
When a 6,600 pound vehicle that can accelerate from 0-60 in 2.6 seconds has a throttle stuck open it is indeed a death trap for anyone walking in front of it.

that was just what I was thinking!

I don’t hate it actually, I do think that it’s bed is to small for use. Also it was marketed to tech people and in my experience truck owners are not tech people.
That's an unfortunate trend in pickups... make the cab bigger and the bed smaller. My Tacoma has a 5' bed, my son just bought one with a 6' bed which is a lot more useful. I looked at a Ford Maverick, and besides the fact that they were unavailable a year ago they had a 4.5' bed... and not much towing capacity.

Once upon a time pickups could haul a 4'x8' sheet in the bad flat, AND be able to close the tailgate. No longer, unless you get a "contractor" version with a single-cab (which pretty much have to be factory ordered).

I'm one of the few that actually like the look - and fewer that are willing to admit it! I would never use it as a truck though. I wouldn't want to get it dirty.

That's an unfortunate trend in pickups... make the cab bigger and the bed smaller. My Tacoma has a 5' bed, my son just bought one with a 6' bed which is a lot more useful. I looked at a Ford Maverick, and besides the fact that they were unavailable a year ago they had a 4.5' bed... and not much towing capacity.

Once upon a time pickups could haul a 4'x8' sheet in the bad flat, AND be able to close the tailgate. No longer, unless you get a "contractor" version with a single-cab (which pretty much have to be factory ordered).
It took me six months to find mine. Extended cab with an 8 ft. bed.

As it should be.

Back