Reviewing features of the Giant Leap Rocketry Slimline Tailcones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freddiejojo

Reaction score
Hi there,

I get many questions about some of our products, so to help answer those "pre-order" inquires, here is a short movie about our Slimline Tailcones.

Thank you for watching,

Kent/glr
[video=vimeo;152098469]https://vimeo.com/152098469[/video]

Thanks for showing these.
A suggestion I have and several others have asked of me, would to also show the steps of actually retaining a motor case.
Again really like and recommend your products.
Thanks
Ken Weaver

I have the 3" by 54mm on my 3" Darkstar. Kent is understating the workmanship, they are very high quality and the retention is reliable. They work well with AT and CTI, Loki is a bit on the edge, as you can see in the picture below. If the internal flange was set just a hair more internally or the snap ring more aft, then Loki would fit like a glove. As you can see it fits but the snap ring is not 100% seated. Still I will not hesitate to use this retainer again when the opportunity presents it self. For that matter I like all of the GLR retainers, my favourite being the regular slimline.

View attachment 280196

View attachment 280197

View attachment 280198

Thanks for showing these.
A suggestion I have and several others have asked of me, would to also show the steps of actually retaining a motor case.
Again really like and recommend your products.
Thanks
Ken Weaver

Dear Mr. K,

Wish I would have spoken with you earlier. I am going to be shooting more footage over the next couple of weeks and will do as you suggest, also including the weight in grams of all these guys (another suggestion). So stay tuned and you will see your suggestion come to reality.

Kent/glr

Hey Kent,
I'm a big fan of Slimline threaded retainers, used with either the internal ring or the "cap" ring. I've got them on a bunch of my rockets, and for certain ones they are THE perfect thing.
I'm wondering if there's any particular reason why these tailcone ones were not designed for use with threaded rings? I'm not all that keen on the snap rings. Yes, I know lots of folks use them, but they just aren't "my thing".

Thanks for the info vids,
s

I sure wish GLR still made the 4" to 75mm tailcone. Sure was handy! Tim

+1. It was much better than the Aeropack which is barely conical. GLR/Acme also dropped the 2.6" rail guide too right when I needed it both the short and extended version :(.

Back