Red Glare IX

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes windy,, but people were brave (braver than me) and put up some rockets.

Here a couple pictures from Friday, including Steve Eve's 1/9th Saturn 1B. Beautiful

RGIX Friday0001.jpg

RGIX Friday0003.jpg

Just got in (about 2 hours later than expected...) Looking to get set up Sat morning for the weekend.

See you folks then!
jim

and some more. The first pic is one that landed on the power lines(white w/black NC)

Red Glare IX and misc pics 046.jpg

Red Glare IX and misc pics 047.jpg

Red Glare IX and misc pics 050.jpg

Red Glare IX and misc pics 056.jpg

Red Glare IX and misc pics 057.jpg

And on the front field no less!
I just wish I could go.....
Have to work this weekend:mad:

Keep the pictures coming!

JD

Just gtot back from day 2. AWSOME!! Not sure exactly how many flights went up but Maggie and I were working the RSO table for about 5 hours and I know we proscessed hundreds of flights. Just as many before and after us. Most were sucessful. one CATO and one Max Q dissassembly. A hand full of recovery failures and a couple of closure failures. In all I'd say about 95% successful flights logged. I saw alot of large projects on the line that didn't fly today so tomorrow should be even better. Hats off to DR ZOOCH. Wes spent most of the day working with the kids and the Bucket O Rockets. I know more than a few flyers have been added to our ranks thanks to his efforts. Thanks Wes. Winds were far better today and the weather is expected to be even better tomorrow. Hope to see you all there.

I wish I could go again tomorrow, but will have to wait until the spring event. Sounds like it was a great day.
Matt

If anyone has pics or vids of my big Harpoon that went Saturday early,, let me know,

Thanks,
Tom

If anyone has pics or vids of my big Harpoon that went Saturday early,, let me know,

Thanks,
Tom

That was the coolest flight. The trajectory ( though I'm sure unintentional) was similar to a real ship launched Harpoon. Added to the visual kick. :clap: I know recovery was Way downrange. Did you get it all back OK?

After hours of searching got it back. It ended up on Tommy's cousins property. I had to carry it a quarter mile or so once I found it. Carried it out in four trips. That sucked big time. Lengthy post is up on Rocketry planet.
Tom

Hey Tom, I've got a bunch of pictures of your Harpoon. I'll come talkto you on the field today.

Did anyone happen to get any pics of my N10,000 flight? I was too nervous to take pictures. :)

I will start off by saying that this was a great launch! Great people, great weather.

Saturday I flew my 3" Rocket "The Goon" on a 54-1400 CTI K935 Wild Wolf to 8699' according to the MAWD.

Sunday I flew the rocket again on a 3 grain 54mm J450 Fast EX motor. It appears there was no deployment, and my best guess is that it darted into the soybeans. I didn't hear any charge at apogee, but at the same time I didn't hear it whistle in to lawn dart, so I don't know.

If anyone has found a 6' long, 3" diameter rocket with a 54mm Aeropack and home made 54mm case, please contact me at [email protected].

Well, another Red Glare come and gone... each better than the last.
For those of you who didn't know, the prizes for the contests (Mach Madness, Guess your altitude, 1 mile, and 2000 foot) were awesome. Only 2 people did the Guess Your Altitude and the prize was a really cool kit. I was one of the two people and also the only loser for that contest. I was off by 398 feet and she was off 52. Oh well... She looks like she'll enjoy the kit.

I also have the pleasure (sarcasm) to announce that all my flights for Red Glare were failures or near failures.
Black 5 Qtr Scale - Shock cord, which was attached to the centering ring was ripped out after a very lengthy delay --> booster section will need serious love.

Shiloh - Shock cord snapped out the centering ring --> booster section totaled.

HAVIK - The parachute came out of the estes sized rocket all wadded up.... broke a fin while bringing it back. --> repairable

Black 5 half scale... fin busted out. --> needs some serious love and epoxy

Buttercup... Main deployment nudged off the nose cone, leaving a stuck chute in the payload section... Backup charge rescued the falling object by blasting out the chute with 8 grams. --> Will live to fly another day.

AND... I lost my glasses.

But I have some good news.... I saved a bunch of money by switching my car insurance.

Hats off to DR ZOOCH. Wes spent most of the day working with the kids and the Bucket O Rockets. I know more than a few flyers have been added to our ranks thanks to his efforts. Thanks Wes.

Thanks for the good words. Frankly I don't think I've launched anything at Red Glare in a couple of years ( I used to try and fly on Friday, but lately I haven't been able to make Friday). Mostly, I sort of see doing the bucket-O-rockets as my chance to give back to MDRA, because the club is so good to me as well as all of its members. It's also my chance to introduce a lot of new folks (kids and parents) to rocketry. Others in MDRA, like you stantonjtroy and your other half, do all sorts of great work to make the whole thing happen. It sort of boggles the mind- from RSO'ing to donating kits for the bucket-O-rockets to doing the pad manager- all of it gets done and you folks still manage to get some flights in. I tell all of the newbees who stop by the bucket about how some of you work all summer just to come and fly a few flights and they are amazed... then I tell them how much cash you invest in your rockets and they look like they wanna faint. Still, I'm really happy to do the bucket at Red Glare. Most of the kids have that look of wonder as we rig their rockets and when they come back they really look hooked- and if they aren't hooked, at least one parent IS. The parents are always amazed at the fact that MDRA does not charge them for flying from the bucket. Parents will lean over and whisper "So... how much do I owe ya' for this?" and I get to say "Nothin', it's free, the club sponsors it."

I also must add that MDRA, as a whole, is one of the coolest and most easy going clubs that I've ever been a part of, yet they still keep it together and run a super event. I have NEVER met an unfriendly MDRA member- and if there is one out there, that person is probably kept chained up in the club trailer (I think I heard some snarling from the trailer while I was in the porta potty next to it yesterday). Red Glare, as well as the monthly launch events, reflect that good nature.

What was most apparent at this Red Glare is just how much the event is growing. It is rapidly becoming one of the largest rocketry events.

Dr. Zooch, I really enjoyed reading your post, and I have to give you kudo's for that. Maybe you could write a few paragraphs of your experience and submit it to Rockets Magazine because it might encourage someone else to do it at their local launches and reading about your experience may give them a few pointers.

By the way, it was announced that Rockets Magazine would like to hear about the rockets that you flew over the weekend. When these guys write up the articles and put together a DVD, they may have a couple of photos, video and a smudgy flight card. If you have a story to tell about your rocket, or just some interesting tidbits about it, they'd love to hear it.
They said to send your details to the editor of RM which I think is [email protected].
For example, I'm going to submit that both the 1/2 scale and the 1/4 scale Black 5's ended up being busted up, just like the original. ... although for different reasons. But I was encouraged to rebuild the Full Scale and fly it for RGX.

I'm sure any little detail would add something to the article, like 'How did you come up with the name?' Whatever you think would help tell the story of your rocket. It might end up in the magazine and that'll really impress your friends and your mom... and maybe your friend's mom. :eyepop:

Correction - [email protected]
There is also a Magazine Data Sheet over at MDRA's website.

Last edited:
Dr. Zooch, I really enjoyed reading your post, and I have to give you kudo's for that. Maybe you could write a few paragraphs of your experience and submit it to Rockets Magazine because it might encourage someone else to do it at their local launches and reading about your experience may give them a few pointers.

That's a great idea- I'll submit one like that in my next low-power article.

Anyone having a video of John Ritz moonburner launch , pls send me a copy or post here. It was launched Sun afternoon went up over the parking area, successful long burn for about 8 secs. It was red and some other Ritz color.

I uploaded a bunch of RG IX pics on my website (listed below) in the Albums section. If you see a pic of your rocket, I'd appreciate if you'd let me know the details and I'll update them. Also, if you'd like a pic that I have, let me know and I'll be happy to email it to you. Thanks.

Here is my Pride and Joy from the Pink M event. 6649' and touchdown 170 yards from the pad. I guess pink is a good color for a rocket!

Nice shot of that Pink motor, Al! And it was a great flight too.

I picked up one of the Pink M's from Tim. I'll be flying it next month in my UW. :)

The Albatross on an O4300BD and my 6" Mad Dog on an AMW M1850GG.
ALBATROSS O4300BD Red Glare 9...jpgALBATROSS O4300BD Red Glare 9.jpg
IMG_7379.jpgIMG_7421.jpgIMG_7424.jpg

Photos George Kieley.

Another successful Red Glare for the books! First off, I want to thank the crew at MDRA for putting on an amazing launch. I was there all three days, and I had a blast. I also want to thank Tim Lehr and Jim Hendricksen for all the help they've given me since the beginning of my L3 project. I couldn't have done it without you guys! Well, I probably could have, but it was a lot more fun this way. :)

I only had two flights. I could have done a lot more prep work at home, but I wanted to have a few extra sets of eyes on my prep work for my L3 attempt.

My first flight was the big one. My Ultimate Wildman on the N10,000 for my L3 cert. It flew perfectly to 11,927ft at Mach 1.38 and pulled 53 G's off the pad. It drifted about a mile away and landed in the power lines. :rolleyes: The guy from the power company was super friendly, and didn't take payment or even a tip. After getting back to the field, I immediately went shopping for some M's. :D

My second flight was a bit tamer. I flew my Extreme Darkstar on a Pro54 K940WT. It was another perfect flight. That one flew to about 3,600 feet or so. I managed to put that one in the soybeans. After getting permission to go out there, it was recovered with no damage.

I took a whole bunch of pictures over the weekend, and I've put a bunch into a Flickr album. I uploaded them at full size, so if you see one of yours, feel free to download them. Also, if you see one of yours, chances are that I have several pictures of it, so shoot me a message, and I'll get you the rest. :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78604807@N00/sets/72157625124406817/

_MG_5070.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9686.jpg
    IMG_9686.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 0
Back